Gerrans Parish Council
Meeting of the Finance Committee
Tuesday 27th June 2017 at 7.00 pm at Curgurrell Farmhouse
Cllrs Taffinder and Gill; also S Skull (clerk)
- Apologies – Cllrs Hetherington and Meek.
The clerk said the Committee was quorate, there being 50% attendance.
- Declarations of interest in items on the agenda – none
- To consider and decide upon recommendations to full Council in respect of the following:
(a) Contract of employment for the Clerk / Responsible Financial Officer for the
year commenced 1st April 2017
(b) Provision of Statutory Workplace Pension Scheme
(c) Amendment to Financial Regulations to allow authorisation of direct debit mandates
where payment by cheque is precluded.
The clerk produced previously emailed copies of:
- National Joint Council for Local Government Services salary scales 2017.
- Cornwall Association of Local Councils benchmarkng guide for assessing points on the salary scales.
- Notice from the Pensions Regulator of obligation to provide Workplace Pension Scheme.
- Details of qualifying earnings threshold and minimum legal pension contribution levels.
- Summary of his proposals and their financial impact.
His proposals were as follows:
- He believed that he was qualified this year to be on Salary Scale SCP 28, and referenced documents 1 and 2 to support this.
- He proposed to set up a Gerrans Parish Council pension scheme under the National Employment Savings Trust (NEST), which is the pension scheme set up by the government and free of charge to users.
- He proposed setting the employer’s contribution at 4%, with the employee (himself) also contributing 4%. He referenced documents 3, 4 and 5 to support this. The Council would need to amend its Financial Regulations to authorise payment by direct debit to enable this.
After a Q & A and a discussion, both members of the Committee agreed that they thought all three proposals reasonable and resolved to recommend acceptance to the full Council at the meeting to be held on 4th July.
- Any other business relevant to the Finance Committee
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 7.27 pm.