Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – January 2015

Gerrans Parish Council

MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council

held on Tuesday 6th January 2015

in the Memorial Hall Annexe

NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 3rd February 2015 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

Present:

Cllrs Case, Edwards, German, Greenslade, Hetherington, Iddison, Meek, Morse, Taffinder ( Chairman);    S Skull (Clerk)

 

1 member of the public attended.

 

011501

CHAIRMAN’S STATEMENT

The Chairman read out a statement in respect of the Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014 reminding those in attendance and participating in the meeting that they were liable to be filmed, recorded, photographed or otherwise recorded.

 

011502

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

CC J German; Cllrs Symons and Hatwood

 

011503

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Hetherington declared a non registerable interest in the discussion of the possible siting of a bus shelter at Trewithian (item 14 on the agenda) in that he lives there and his daughter takes the school bus.

 

Cllr Case declared a disclosable pecuniary interest in item 13 on the agenda in that he had worked on the Portscatho public convenience refurbishment on behalf of the tenant.

 

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Mr Jon Smith, Chairman of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan (RNDP) Steering Group (SG), reported that the Plan had been submitted to Cornwall Council (CC) on 8th December together with all supporting documents. These are now available on the Roseland Plan website. He said that once legal compliance has been signed off by the appropriate cabinet member, CC will formally publish the Plan and the formal examination process will begin. In the meantime the SG has begun work on considering the implementation of the Plan and its projects, with an emphasis on achieving consistency of interpretation across the 5 parishes on the Roseland.

 

011505

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The Council accepted the draft minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2nd December 2014 as being a true record, subject to one correction. The Chairman signed the corrected minutes.

 

011506

REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – MATTERS ARISING

The clerk reported he had yet to contact South West Water about the remaining rubbish on the sewage works site, and had not ascertained the criteria by which speed limits can be set. He said he would attend to those matters before the next meeting.

 

011507

CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

The clerk reported he had received notification from Cornwall Council that a further complaint about Cllr Symons had been received but had been rejected on the grounds that the complaint was the same or substantially the same as a complaint previously dealt with.

 

The clerk had also received notice of an appeal in respect of planning application ref. PA14/06290. The PC had objected to the application and it had been refused by Cornwall Council. After a discussion, Cllr Taffinder proposed (seconded by Cllr Hetherington) that the PC had no further comment to add in respect of this application, and this was unanimously agreed.

 

The clerk also reported he had received several expressions of interest from contractors to undertake a weed-spraying operation in the parish this year. He was asked to obtain 3 quotes and make this an agenda item for the next meeting. Action clerk

 

011508

PLANNING MATTERS

 

APPLICATIONS

The PC had received 3 new applications. These are outlined below and comments are noted in the Planning Register.

 

Application Description PC decision
PA14/11940 and

PA14/11941

New car park signage at National Trust car parks at Towan and St Anthony Object on the grounds of inappropriate size, design and colour.
PA14/11395 Single storey flat roofed extension at 15 Churchtown Road. Support

 

DECISIONS

 

PA14/10313 (PC: support)   – Approved

 

ENFORCEMENT MATTERS

Nothing to report

 

011509

COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

Cllr Hetherington said the main subject of the next meeting of the Network Community Panel would be planning, and in particular the question of how local plans can be most effectively implemented. He also said the March meeting would be held in Feock. This would be the first meeting outside Truro, representing the beginning of an initiative to encourage more local participation.

 

011510

LOCALISM

Councillors discussed further assets which might be suitable for listing as community assets. The clerk was asked to minute the following suggestions and investigate the procedure for application for listings. Action clerk.

 

  1. The Fishermen’s Shelter
  2. The telephone kiosk on the Lugger
  3. Parsons Pool
  4. The White Stone

      

011511

CHURCH CLOSE OPEN SPACE LAND

The clerk reported that the final signed and sealed copy of the lease was yet to be received back from the solicitors, and confirmed that a public meeting to discuss the future of the space had been arranged for Thursday 29th January at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall.

 

Cllr Greenslade said the establishment of a play area in accordance with the S106 agreement was essential. Cllr Meek said that maintenance and the safety of the site should be the main priority in the first year, given the level of funds likely to be available. Cllr German said he thought that the Cory Environmental Trust had funds available for community development and he would find out more about this.

 

The clerk said he would ascertain the exact conditions of the S106, and the procedure and conditions for accessing the monies lodged, before the public meeting. He said he would forward the information to Cllr Meek, representing the Church Close Committee, to help inform the opening presentation he had volunteered to make. Action clerk

 

The clerk was also asked to enquire about taking a “Garden Lease” on the adjacent parcel of land (informally known as “Brian’s garden”) which is not subject to the S106 agreement. Action clerk

 

011512

NEW ROAD CAR PARK DRAINAGE

The clerk said that the planned site meeting with engineers from Cormac had been held, at which it was agreed that Cormac would remove and rebuild the 2 metre section of wall to which there appears to be no backing, and to repair a dip in the wall where settlement has occurred.

 

As for the water still reaching the footpath down towards the village, it was decided that the simplest and most effective approach would be to establish a diversion below the gate, distributing the flow away from the paths.

 

011513

PUBLIC CONVENIENCES

  1. Percuil

Cllr Edwards said he was still awaiting a quote from a contractor who had previously designed and carried out toilet refurbishments at Feock, Mylor and Perranporth.

 

He considered the main priority immediately to be ensuring the safety of the heavy waste bins at the site, for which a level concrete plinth would be required, and possibly fencing also.

 

  1. Portscatho

(Cllr Case left the room during discussion of this item)

The clerk presented the final invoice from the tenant for the PC’s share of the refurbishment costs, which was the re-charging to the PC of numerous bills for materials and labour. In view of the fact that there had not been time over the holiday period to convene a Committee meeting to discuss this in detail, it was agreed to call such a meeting for Monday 11th January for that purpose. The Committee would report back at the next regular PC meeting.

 

011514

BUS SHELTER AT TREWITHIAN

(Cllr Hetherington left the room during discussion of this item, and Cllr Case resumed his seat)

 

Cllr Meek said that on further investigation he had ascertained that the PC would not be absolutely restricted to the style of the £7,000 shelter to which he had referred at the last meeting, but even a steel and Perspex construction would cost more than £5,000, and Highways and Health and Safety regulations prescribed that only certificated contractors would be allowed to carry out the work.

 

Cllr Edwards said he thought this did not represent value for money in view of the predicted level of use, and wondered if people would demand shelters at every stop in the Parish if this one were built. He proposed (seconded by Cllr German) that a shelter should not be provided at this time. 8 Councillors supported the proposal, with Cllr Greenslade abstaining.

 

Cllr Taffinder thanked Cllr Meek on behalf of the PC for his detailed work on this matter.

 

011515

FINANCIAL MATTERS

(Cllr Hetherington resumed his seat at this point.)

 

ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

It was resolved that the outstanding invoices totalling £2,019.55 (including VAT of £54.23) be paid. A schedule of these payments is available from the clerk.

 

BANK RECONCILIATION

The reconciled bank balance as at 25th December was £58,605.95

 

BUDGET FOR 2015/2016

The clerk presented a final budget for 2015/2016 in which it was forecast that all the PC’s known commitments could be met in the year, with a final bank balance in the region of £35,000 at year end, not allowing for the expense of putting the parking restrictions into an enforceable condition, maintenance expenses for Church Close or the Percuil refurbishment. The costs of these projects were not known with any accuracy at the time of the budget, and the projects would be allocated funds on a priority need basis. In view of the guidelines regarding what funds should be held in reserve, the total pool for these projects would be in the region of £20,000. An initial estimate for £11,000 had been received in respect of the parking regulations, but the clerk was working to arrange a meeting between the Traffic/Finance Committees and Cormac to discuss the matter in more detail.

 

Cllr Edwards proposed (seconded by Cllr Greenslade) that the budget be approved. On a vote, 8 Councillors were in favour, and Cllr German abstained. Budget approved.

 

011516

OTHER PARISH MATTERS

Cllr Iddison produced a copy of an email which had been sent to the National Trust (NT) in June by two parishioners drawing attention to the overgrown condition of trees and shrubs on the land below New Road car park, which resulted in obstructed views of the bay. He also produced photographs which illustrated the problem. The clerk was asked to follow up his own previous correspondence with NT on the issue to seek a satisfactory resolution. Action clerk

 

Cllr Meek said he had been asked by a member of the public to convey to the PC her concerns about the cleanliness of the village, leaves on the path by the allotments and weeds on the pavements.

 

Cllr Greenslade drew attention to the extent of dog-fouling he had been encountering and asked if the PC could not be more pro-active on this subject.

 

Cllr German enquired as to the current position relating to the two charitable funds administered by the PC. The clerk was asked to put this on the agenda for February. Action clerk

 

Cllr Edwards asked whether planning permission would be required if the village Christmas Lights Committee wished to put up removeable brackets next year for fixing the lights. Cllr Taffinder suggested he produce a list of the likely locations for consideration at a future meeting.

 

Cllr Case reported that the Squash Club had indicated their willingness to host a mobile phone mast. Cllr Taffinder said she would bring the matter up at the next school meeting to gauge current opinion amongst parents.

 

Cllr Hetherington said he would refer the collapsed Cornish hedge at Springfield to CC Julian German, as it was a Cornwall Council matter.

 

Cllr Taffinder referred to a proposal for a floating diving platform to be provided during the summer by a family in memory of their teenage daughter, at their own expense and for the public benefit. She said she would research the legal and Health and Safety implications.

 

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 9.53 pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*