Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – July 2013

Gerrans Parish Council
MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council
held on Tuesday 2nd July 2013
in the Memorial Hall Annexe
NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 6th August at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

Present:
Cllrs Case, Emmett, Fletcher, German, Greenslade, Hatwood, Iddison, Morse, Symons,
Taffinder ( Chairman); S Skull (Clerk)
10 members of the public attended.

071301
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

– Cllr Davis, CC J German

071302
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA
– Cllr Fletcher declared a prejudicial interest in items 8 and 14, as he is a partner in the firm retained as managing agents by the owners of the two areas of land due to be discussed.

– Requests for dispensations which would enable them to take part in Council business where this would otherwise be prohibited because they have a prejudicial interest were presented by Cllrs Fletcher (2) and German (1).

Cllr Fletcher left the room while his requests for dispensations allowing him to participate in discussions of any business relating either to The Enys Estate or Tregothnan Estate were considered.

Cllr German left the room while his request for a dispensation allowing him to participate in discussions of any business related to the Memorial Hall was considered.

All three requests were unanimously approved.

071303
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Mr Jon Smith, Chairman of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan Steering Group, introduced himself and was invited by Cllr Taffinder to speak during item 10 on the agenda.

A MoP, resident at Rosevine raised the issue of parking at Porthcurnick and was invited by Cllr Taffinder to speak during item 11 on the agenda.

Another MoP complained that the footpath below land owned by Mr Philip Martin between Pednvadn and The Drftwood Hotel was severely overgrown. Cllr Emmett said the contractor had told him he had recently cut it, but foliage grows very quickly at this time of year. The clerk was asked to seek confirmation of the date the path had been cut. Action clerk

Another MoP requested that should the PC take on the management of the land below the Churchyard it should be used only as open space, and not for facilities such as a playground, so that in the future it would be available for the provision of burial space.

Another MoP stated that he had objected to the proposed new parking spaces in Portscatho Square, as the original intention had been for them to be unrestricted, not limited to one hour as publicised. Cllr Hatwood confirmed that implementation of the Parking Order in the Square had been suspended pending resolution of this issue. The clerk was also asked to investigate whether the publicised scheme at Churchtown Road was in line with the original Order requested. Action clerk

071304
MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The Council accepted the draft minutes of the last regular meeting held on Tuesday 4th June 2013 as being a true record subject to the correction of two typographical errors. The Chairman signed the corrected minutes.
The Council also accepted the draft minutes of the extraordinary meeting held on Tuesday 11th June 2013 as being a true record. The Chairman signed the minutes.

071305
REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETINGS – ITEMS FOR REPORT/DISCUSSION.

There were no further comments on the minutes of either meeting under review.

071306
CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED
The correspondence not covered elsewhere in the agenda was reviewed and actions determined.

1. Letter from South West Water
An acknowledgement that they are investigating the complaints about the condition of the Waterworks site.

2. Email from Simone Kennett
Request for confirmation of the PC’s position re funding for defibrillators for the Parish. The clerk was asked to send confirmation that there will be a contribution made from the Charitable Trusts managed by the PC, the amount to be confirmed once it was known what other local levels of contribution were to be. Action clerk

3. Email from Bill George
Request for a mention in the PC’s next Roseland Magazine article that the large bins at Percuil car park are for boat refuse only. This was agreed. Action clerk

Also to observe that the area around the toilets at Percuil needed sweeping. Action clerk to arrange.

071307
COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

There were no reports.

071308
OPEN SPACE NEGOTIATIONS
Heads of terms for a proposed lease of open space land at the area below the Churchyard had been received from Smiths Gore, managing agents for the landowner, Enys estate.

It was agreed (proposed by Cllr German, seconded by Cllr Greenslade and carried unanimously) to approve the heads of terms and request a draft lease. The clerk was asked to write to Smiths Gore to this effect, and to seek clarification as to the ownership of the access lane from the top of Gerrans Hill, and confirmation of Devon and Cornwall Housing’s acceptance of their responsibility to maintain the land, under the terms of the S106 agreement with Enys Estate. Action clerk

071309
CHURCHYARD EXTENSION
It was considered that this item had been sufficiently discussed during item 8 above.

071310
ROSELAND NDP
Cllr Greenslade reported he had attended two meetings of the Steering Group, and said he feared the project might be somewhat over-ambitious, given there appeared to be only approx £7,000 of funding available whereas the scheme might eventually cost as much as £50,000. He welcomed Mr. Jon Smith, Chairman of the Steering Group, to the meeting.

Mr Smith said the Steering Group was currently progressing two grant applications – one for the £7,000 referred to by Cllr Greenslade, and another direct support grant of £9,000 for consultancy in drafting the Plan.

He also said the Group was looking particularly at communications at this stage, via a website, the Roseland Magazine, Roseland-Online, and the distribution of letters to every home on the Roseland. There would also be a public meeting in each of the five parishes.

The Project Plan had also been reviewed, and the timescale shortened by ten months, by removing one month of consultation time after each meeting, to speed up the process.

Cllr Taffinder said the scheme was obviously still in its early stages and thanked Mr Smith for his contribution to the meeting.

071311
PARKING AT ROSEVINE / PORTHCURNICK
Cllr Taffinder called for suggestions to alleviate the congestion problems reported by MoP Mr Steve Mitchell.

Mr Mitchell said that in his view a short term measure could be to use improved signage to direct traffic to the New Road car park rather than Rosevine, and that in the longer term some form of parking restriction should be introduced.

There followed a discussion as to the way to proceed and it was eventually decided to ask the clerk to contact the National Trust to invite them to send a representative to a special separate meeting to discuss this matter only. Action clerk

071312
PUBLIC CONVENIENCES
The proposed engrossed lease was considered, along with queries raised by Cllr Fletcher and answered by solicitor Richard Sharp.

Cllr German objected to clause 11.5 of the lease which, in the event of the conveniences being closed to the public for more than three financial years, allows the Landlord to require the Tenant to bring them back into use at twelve months’ notice. The clerk was asked to write and request the removal of clause 11.5. Action clerk

The clerk introduced a summary of the likely financial implications of taking on the lease.

071313
NEW ROAD CAR PARK
In view of the fact that the major resurfacing works required can not be done during the peak season, a quote from Cormac to carry out temporary repairs to the large pothole between areas one and two, and to install tarmac rollovers at the entrance and exit to prevent surface water run-off from the road, was considered.

Cllr Taffinder proposed, and Cllr Greenslade seconded, that the Council accept the quote. This was unanimously agreed and the clerk was asked to make the necessary arrangements. Action clerk

071314
FOOTBALL FIELD
The clerk introduced a proposal by Simon Leather, of Tregothnan Estate Office, to hold a site meeting on Monday, 8th July at 3.30 pm to discuss the future use of the field. Several Councillors indicated their willingness to attend and the clerk was asked to make the necessary arrangements. Action Clerk

071315
GERRANS GREEN – PROVISION OF SEATING
Cllr Taffinder suggested the removal of the existing old benches on the grounds of safety. Cllr German volunteered to arrange this.

Cllr Emmett said the Jubilee Committee were still researching the possibility of installing granite seating around the central tree.

After discussion, Cllr German proposed a resolution, seconded by Cllr Symons, that there should be no seating at all on the green. This resolution was carried by five votes to four, with one abstention.

071316
PLANNING MATTERS

APPLICATIONS
The PC had received no applications in the month.

DECISIONS
Refusal of PA13/03377 relating to the S106 order at “Jollity Farm”

ENFORCEMENT MATTERS
EN13/01046 relating to 4, Treventon Close. Case closed (“not expedient”).

071317
FINANCIAL MATTERS

ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT
It was resolved that the outstanding invoices in the total sum of £5,175.34 (including VAT of £395.34) be paid. A schedule of these payments is available from the clerk.

BANK RECONCILIATION
The reconciled bank balance as at 25th June 2013 was £60,909.26

STATUS TO BUDGET
All payments were within budget.

071318
OTHER PARISH MATTERS
Cllr Symons reported that a “house swap” had occurred on the Gwarak Gwel An Mor Estate, and someone from Polperro was planning to move in. The clerk was asked to make enquiries of Devon and Cornwall Housing. Action clerk

Cllr German said he needed a date for the Charity Committee Meeting. Cllr Davis not being present, the clerk said he would remind him. Action clerk

Cllr Greenslade regretted he was unable to attend the RNDP meeting the next evening. Cllr German volunteered to go in his place.

Cllr Emmett reported that he and Cllr German would attend the Cluster Meeting on Thursday 11th July.

The meeting closed at 9.35 pm

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*