Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – May 2017

Gerrans Parish Council

MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council

held on Tuesday 9th May 2017

in the Memorial Hall Annexe

NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 6th June 2017 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

Present:

Cllrs Mary Bax (MB), Ralph German (RG), Will Gill (WG), Helen Hastings (HH), James Hetherington (JH), Rick Iddison (RI), Nev Meek (NM), Val Neal (VN), Charlotte Taffinder (CT) ( Chairman); S Skull (Clerk)

 

3 members of the public attended.

 

All Councillors signed Acceptance of Office forms and were issued Register of Interest forms to be completed and returned. Copies of the Council’s Code of Conduct and other introductory material had previously been forwarded by email.

 

051701

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

CT was the only candidate (nominated WG, seconded RI) and was re-elected to the post unanimously.

CT signed the Chairman’s Acceptance of Office form.

051702

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Robin Edwards, CC Julian German

051703

ELECTION OF DEPUTY CHAIRMAN AND COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS

JH was the only candidate for deputy chairman (nominated RI, seconded CT) and was re-elected to the post unanimously.

The clerk produced a list of the existing committee appointments. Cllrs agreed on a revised list for the forthcoming year, which is available from the clerk on request. HH is included as a member of the Planning Committee subject to confirmation, requested by RG, that she is not ineligible due to conflicts of interest. The clerk undertook to seek guidance from the Cornwall Association of Local Councils as to the precise position under the adopted Code of Conduct. Action clerk

051704

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None

051705

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Mrs Bee Blight’s comments at the preceding Annual Parish Meeting regarding the provision of extra dog bins and traffic calming at Gerrans Hill were again noted and it was agreed to put these issues on June’s agenda for further discussion. Mrs Zoe Sheppard said she supported Mrs Blight’s request for provision of more dog bins.

051706

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The Council accepted the draft minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 4th April 2017 as being a true record. The Chairman signed the minutes.

051707

REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – MATTERS ARISING

The clerk reported:

– SSE Enterprise were still pressing Western Power for a definitive quote for installing two new Street lights.

– The vacancy for a street cleaning contractor had been widely advertised but no serious applications had been received to date. He would continue to advertise the vacancy.

– He had checked with the Harbour Club management as requested, and received confirmation that the balcony was not a fire exit.

 

 

 

051708

CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

  1. Reef Television

Information on how to apply to take part in a national “Village of the Year” competition.

Councillors decided unanimously to ask the clerk to reply that the PC would not be making an application. Action clerk.

There was no other correspondence which would not be addressed in other items on the agenda.

051709

PLANNING MATTERS

(a) APPLICATIONS

The PC had received 3 new applications. These are outlined below and comments are noted in the Planning Register.

 

Application Description PC decision
PA17/03175 Mobile mast base station installation at Roseland Squash Club Support. 8 in favour, 1 abstention.
PA17/03722 Siting of 3 camping pods at Trewince Farm Support. 8 in favour, 1 abstention.
PA17/03863 Change of use of buildings at Methyr Collyn Barn from agricultural to storage Unanimous object. Lack of clarity re nature of items to be stored, and non-compliance with policies CD2 (i) and (iv) of RNDP.

 

(b) DECISIONS

Application GPC comment CC Decision
(None to report this month) n/a n/a

 

(c) ENFORCEMENT MATTERS

New Garage at Pendennis, New Road

RG reported that the Enforcement Officer had been consulted about the height of the structure but no findings had yet been disclosed.

(d) Review of the effectiveness of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan Objectives and Policies.

Councillors considered the consultation draft of the document, and as the deadline for comments was 11th June, the clerk was asked to put the matter on the agenda for June’s meeting to give Councillors more time to review the report. Action clerk

051710

COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

NM reported on a liaison meeting at Truro Police Station held on 24th April with delegates from local Councils. It was intended that there would be such liaison meetings about three times a year. The report showed a general rise in recorded crime, and Councillors were concerned that the Policing Plan from the Police and Crime Commissioner, which is now being implemented, will result in a 50% reduction in PCSO’s. NM said he would prepare a draft letter on behalf of the PC expressing its concerns at the continuing reduction of local community policing levels.

051711

LOCALISM

– Replacement sign for Stodden Steps

RG proposed (seconded CT) the clerk be asked to research costs and types of sign available for the purpose. Carried unanimously. Action clerk

051712

PORTSCATHO POST OFFICE

The clerk read out the latest email exchanges with management of Post Office Ltd regarding the suspension of services at Portscatho. RG said it was his understanding that, now that the convenience store was under new management, the new owner had successfully applied to take over as Postmaster, and the necessary formalities were in the process of taking place.

051713

CHURCH CLOSE – UPDATE

The clerk reported that he had now placed an order for the installation of a backstop net behind the football goalpost to stop balls being kicked onto the allotments, and had also ordered 3 picnic bench/tables for the site.

 

051714

ANNUAL INTERNAL AUDIT

The clerk presented for approval, prior to the visit of the Internal Auditor,

  1. The Annual Governance Statement 2016-2017. Approval proposed by RG, seconded by NM. Unanimously agreed.
  2. The Statement of Internal Control 2016-2017. Approval proposed by RG, seconded by JH. Unanimously agreed.

051715

FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

CLERK’S REPORT

The clerk reported that all payments submitted for approval were materially within budget, or within forecast and agreed contingency levels where actual figures were unknown at the time of setting the budget.

ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

It was resolved that the outstanding invoices totalling £3,291.48 (including VAT of £114.79) be paid.

BANK RECONCILIATION

The reconciled bank balance as at 25th April was £44,646.88

 

051716

OTHER PARISH MATTERS

  1. Any urgent business

– None

  1. Matters to be included on the next agenda (not heretofore minuted)

– Inclusion of mandatory Code of Conduct training in Standing Orders

– Presentation by Community Land Trust re affordable housing project at Trewithian Farm

  1. Minor items for report

– Clerk: hole in ground next to drain at 9 Portscatho Square had been reported and was being investigated by Highways.

– RG: Churchyard was overgrown. Action clerk to contact churchwarden

– RG: Bin store at Treloan Lane had become dilapidated. Action clerk to investigate.

– NM:Unsightly rubbish and old appliances in front garden of 16 Springfield. Action clerk to raise with Housing Association.

– NM: Footpath signage problem at Trewince Farm. Action CT to liaise with the farmer.

– NM: Priority for local housing allocation must be given to local people. JH said this could be discussed when the Community Land Trust gave their presentation next month.

– NM: Concerned that the Parish was losing recreational facilities, citing recent loss of football team and Percuil Sailing Club.

– RI: A new building has been erected at “Seasider”. Planning authority has been informed.

– RI: A lean-to extension at Trewince Manor had been demolished and a new extension built. RG said he would investigate.

– VN: The wall of New Road car park needed strimming on the National Trust side so she could gain access to ensure the drains were unobstructed. Action clerk to instruct contractor.

– MB: Residents of California Gardens were concerned that the street lights in the cul-de-sac remained unnecessarily bright all through the night. The clerk said the lights in question were managed by Cornwall Council rather than the PC but he would investigate a possible remedy. Action clerk

 

The meeting closed at 9.55 pm

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*