Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – May 6th 2014

Gerrans Parish Council

MINUTES of the Annual Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council

                                            held on Tuesday 6th May 2014                                        

                                             in  the Memorial Hall Annexe

NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 3rd June at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

 

Present:

Cllrs   Case, Fletcher, German, Greenslade, Hatwood, Hetherington, Iddison, Meek, Morse, Symons, Taffinder ( Chairman);  CC J German,  S Skull (Clerk)

2  members of the public  attended.

 

051401

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

Cllr Taffinder was the only candidate (nominated by Cllr Greenslade, seconded by Cllr Hetherington).

 

Decision:  Cllr Taffinder was elected unanimously

 

Cllr Taffinder signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office form which was witnessed and countersigned by the clerk.

 

051402

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE –  None

 

051403

ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN AND COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS

 

Deputy Chairman                             Cllr Hetherington (Nom. Cllr Taffinder, sec. Cllr Greenslade)

Finance Committee                          Cllrs Taffinder, Hetherington, Symons, Meek, Hatwood

Planning matters                              Cllrs Hetherinton (Chair), Case, Greenslade, Iddison

Public conveniences                        Cllrs Taffinder, German, Hatwood, iddison

Disciplinary appeal committee         Cllrs Taffinder, German

Communications                              Cllr Hatwood

Memorial Hall Committee                 Cllrs German,Case

Charities                                           Cllrs Taffinder, German, Iddison

Police liaison                                    Cllr Symons

Sport                                                 Cllr Symons

Traffic and transport                         Cllrs Greenslade, Hatwood, Iddison

Footpaths                                         Cllr Morse

Village tidiness and rubbish              Cllrs Taffinder, Case

Car parks                                          Cllrs Symons, Iddison, Case

School liaison                                    Cllr Taffinder

Percuil River Moorings Ltd                Cllr Morse

 

051404

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Hatwood declared a non registerable interest in item 17 on the agenda re Portscatho public conveniences because of close personal connection with a person tendering for a sublease.

 

051405

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

None

 

 

 

051406

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

The Council accepted the draft minutes of the last meeting held on Tuesday 1st April 2014 as being a true record.  The Chairman signed them.

 

051407

REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – MATTERS ARISING

 

Football field

The clerk reported he had still received no report of works required from the Landlord’s agent.

 

Cllr Iddison reported that the shed on site had been broken into and it was alleged that drug taking and underage drinking was taking place there. The clerk was asked to purchase a new padlock for the shed to secure it. Action clerk

 

051408

CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

The correspondence not covered elsewhere in the agenda was reviewed and actions determined.

 

1. ROSPA

The annual safety inspection of the playground was considered which recommended the replacement of rotting timbers on the multiplay unit. The clerk was asked to contact a local tradesman to carry out the work. Action clerk

2. Letter from Sarah Newton MP

Acknowledging the clerk’s letter of 14th March concerning issues of police funding in Cornwall, Mrs Newton was sympathetic to the Parish Council’s concerns and said she had written to the Minister at the Home Office to request clarification regarding the budgetary effect of proposed national policing commitments and to emphasise again the importance of maximising the local police budget.

 

3. Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places

A communication from Cornwall Council inviting comments and suggestions for improvements to polling arrangements in the parish. Councillors decided the present arrangements were quite adequate.

 

051409

ROSELAND NEIGHBOURHOOD DEVELOPMENT PLAN UPDATE

Mr Jon Smith, chairman of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan Steering Group presented his update before the start of the meeting proper in the interests of expediency.

 

He said the Steering Group would be sending out a first draft of the Plan in the Middle of May, and that there would be a letter in May to confirm the vision and objectives and another in June to announce the statutory 6 week consultation period targeted to begin in early July. There would also be a “Pre-consultation Event” on Saturday 14th June at Gerrans Memorial Hall.

 

051410

PLANNING MATTERS

 

APPLICATIONS

The PC had received 2 applications. These are outlined below and comments are noted in the Planning Register.

 

Application Description PC decision
PA14/01398 Removal of front boundary wall,2, Tregassick Road  Unanimous object on grounds of negative effect on ancient scheduled monument and removal of traditional Cornish hedge
PA1//03045 Listed building works at The Rectory, the Square, Gerrans Unanimous Support

 

The clerk was also asked to write to the Planning Department to object to the fact that on property owned by Cornwall Council – i.e. Nos. 6 and 7 Tregassick Road, the front boundary walls have already been removed without planning permission.Action clerk

 

DECISIONS

 

PA14/01889   (PC: support)       –  approved

PA14/02250   (PC: support)       –  approved

PA14/01981   (PC: support)       –  approved

PA14/00713   (PC: support)       –  approved

PA14/01240   (PC: support)       –  approved

PA14/01326   (PC: support)       –  approved

 

ENFORCEMENT MATTERS

Nothing to report

 

051411

COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

Cllr German reported that he and Cllr Case had attended a Memorial Hall Committee meeting where it was noted that building would hopefully soon commence on the proposed disabled toilets.

 

051412

JOLLITY FARM OPEN SPACE LAND

The clerkreported that Cornwall Council were being uncommunicative as to progress in enforcement of the S106 agreement attached to this land and the condition of the site continued to deteriorate. CC German said he would continue to try to move things forward, and the clerk was asked to write to the Chief Executive of Cornwall Council to complain. Action clerk

 

051413

STREET LIGHTING

The clerk presented a quotation from SSE Contracting Ltd for the supply and installation of two new LED Lanterns for the Lugger at the cost of £575.33 plus VAT each. Cllr Taffinder proposed (seconded by Cllr Morse) that the PC should purchase just one lantern at present to replace the unit 035CL which was already broken. This was carried unanimously. Action clerk to order one lantern

 

051414

PARKING ORDERS

The clerk presented an estimate from Cormac Solutions Ltd for a total of £3,580 plus VAT for the necessary consultation and implementation works for the proposed new Traffic Regulation Order affecting New Road and Gerrans Hill. Cllr Taffinder proposed (seconded by Cllr Greenslade) that the PC should accept the estimate and request Cormac to proceed. This was carried unanimously. Action clerk

 

051415

CAR PARKS

New Road Update  –  the clerk reported that works on site were progressing, and that contact with Cornwall Council regarding the lease renegotiation had resumed and the matter was still pending.

 

Treloan Lane Update  –  Cllr Iddison said that the Car Parks Committee would report at the June meeting regarding suggested groundworks.

 

051416

FOOTPATHS MAINTENANCE

The clerk reported that there was only one tender still interested in the contract. Mr Tom Symons had the necessary certificates but was unsure of how to charge, as he normally charged by the hour and footpath work is normally paid by the metre. He was willing to do all the first series of cuts to see how the remuneration worked out. Cllr Morse proposed (seconded by Cllr Hatwood) that a conditional contract be awarded, continuation of which after the first cuts to be subject to both parties being satisfied. This was agreed unanimously. Action clerk

 

 

 

 

051417

PORTSCATHO PUBLIC CONVENIENCES 

Cllr Taffinder reported she now had a full engrossed lease from Cornwall Council but examination showed an error on the site plan and it was still unclear whether the PC had permission to sublet.

Cllr German proposed (seconded by Cllr Hatwood) that Cllr Taffinder be given authority to sign the lease subject to satisfactory resolution of these points. This was carried unanimously.

 

Cllr German said one tender had been received to run part of the building as a beach café, and outlined the terms of that applicant’s proposal.

 

Cllr Greenslade questioned whether sufficient steps had been taken to advertise the opportunity, and Cllr Hatwood  said it had been advertised for a month on Roseland Online, and that two other potential local applicants had shown interest but decided not to tender. Cllr Taffinder proposed (seconded by Cllr Iddison) that no further advertising was necessary. On a vote, Cllr Greenslade asked for his “no” vote to be recorded, Cllr Symons abstained, and the remaining nine Councillors voted to support the proposal.

 

It was agreed to hold an extraordinary meeting of the PC on Thursday 15th May at 7.45pm in the Fishermen’s Shelter to discuss the merits and details of the existing tender and any others that might be received before that time, and to consider the delegation of authority to the Toilets Committee to make decisions on behalf of the PC in this matter in the interests of expedience. Action clerk to arrange

 

051418

FINANCIAL MATTERS

 

ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

It was resolved that the outstanding invoices tabled on the attached schedule in the total sum of £3.988.13  (including VAT of £143.65) be paid.  A schedule of these payments is available from the clerk.

 

BANK RECONCILIATION

The reconciled bank balance as at 25th April 2014 was £54,406.12

 

STATUS TO BUDGET

All payments were within budget as adjusted by minuted Council decisions.

 

051419

OTHER PARISH MATTERS

Cllr Meek asked CC J German whether there were any implications for the PC which would result from the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities, and whether it would have any effect on the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages. CC German said Cornwall Council was looking at this and that correspondence with Parish Councils would follow in due course.

 

Cllr Symons enquired of CC German what were the criteria for the filling of pot holes. CC German said it depended on their depth or the significance of their position. Cllr Symons expressed his dissatisfaction with the quality of recent repairs to pot holes on Trewince Avenue.

 

Cllr Hetherington said he would be attending the next meeting of the Truro and Roseland Community Network Panel to be held on Tuesday 20th May and would report at the June PC meeting.

 

Cllr Taffinder raised the matter of a faulty railing near the Post Office and Cllr Morse mentioned that an area of raised pavement by Stodden Steps was uneven and dangerous. CC German said he would investigate both issues.

 

Cllr Iddison said he had a report of another burst tyre at the raised kerb at Gerrans Church.

 

CC Case said the new parking restriction at Tregassick Road was being widely ignored.

 

 The meeting closed at 9.45 pm

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*