MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Extraordinary Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 14 April 2016 at 7pm.
Present: Cllrs. M Roberts (Chair), A Chesterfield, J Daniel, M Facey, S Hrydziuszka, J Morgan, K Robinson, G Shephard, D Speed, J Whatty.
In Attendance: 1 member of the public, PJ Howson (Clerk).
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies received: Cllrs. N Florence, T Barron, J Mustoe (CC).
2a. Declarations of Interest: Cllr. Whatty declared an interest in Item 7b (PA16/02469).
2b. Gift Declarations: None.
- The presentation by Ms Lara Bauld of Country Kitchen’s licence application was cancelled.
- Public Participation. Mr John Brewster, who is driving the proposed improvements to the War Memorial, spoke regarding Item 8, asking for the work to go ahead as soon as possible rather than waiting until mid-August for a decision from the War Memorials Trust on the grant application. The Clerk read out a note received from Ms. Rose Hardisty objecting to the planning application from Pentillie House (Item 7a).
- Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the minutes of the extraordinary meeting held on 9 March 2016 be accepted. Carried.
- It was noted that licensing application LI16_001352 (Country Kitchen, St Georges Square) had been withdrawn. For future reference, however, the Council noted that areas of concern would include any outdoor activities and any activities continuing late into the night.
- Planning considerations.
7a. PA16/02290 : Erection of a two storey extension to rear of property to extend kitchen and bathroom to existing ground floor flat, create a double garage, utility room and workshop, two no 1 bedroom self-contained flats to first floor and two no 1 bedroom self-contained flats to attic area. Pentillie House School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TQ.
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council OPPOSES this proposal for the following reasons: overdevelopment of the site; not in keeping with surrounding properties; not in scale with surrounding properties; too close to houses in Beach Road; insufficient provision for parking, which will further increase pressure on street parking spaces in Beach Road and Pentillie; loss of privacy and light for neighbouring properties; difficult access from narrow, single lane road; impact on adjacent wooded area, including loss of light for trees; aggravation of existing problems with the main sewer; history of problems associated with single male tenants of this property. The Council also notes inconsistencies within the Policy Assessment accompanying the application, eg references are made to several policies from the Restormel Local Plan but there is no reference to the saved policy which is most applicable to this site, ie Policy 35 relating to Areas of Special Character, which is being carried forward into the emerging Neighbourhood Development Plan. Carried.
7b. PA16/02469 : Various works to trees. Mevagissey House Vicarage Hill Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6SZ.
Consideration of this application was deferred pending changes and clarifications requested by the forestry officer.
7c. PA16/02658 : Installation of a retaining wall to land between Prospect Terrace and 69 Church Street.
53 Church Street Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6SR.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council has no objection. Carried.
- To consider postponing agreed work on the War Memorial pending the outcome of a grant application.
Proposed by Cllr. Chesterfield, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that work should proceed without further delay, and that the grant application to the War Memorials Trust should be withdrawn accordingly. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 7.30pm. Date of next meeting: 21st April 2016
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………