MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 21 December 2017 at 7pm.
Present: Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Blackmore, J Daniel, J Gann, J Morgan, G Shephard, J Whatty.
In Attendance P Howson (Clerk), 3 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. Julian Barron, K Robinson, M Facey and J Mustoe (Ward Member).
- Cllr. Daniel declared an interest in agenda item 9f.
- A police report was received for the period 20/11/17-20/12/17 detailing a total of 7 reported crimes: 2 x criminal damage (a rock thrown through a café window and damage to a vehicle); 1 x theft of a purse from a vehicle; 3 x assault causing actual bodily harm; 1 x possession of a Class C drug. PCSO Barrott urged residents to keep valuables out of sight in their homes and vehicles.
- No members of the public wished to speak at the allotted time.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the minutes of the meeting held on 23 November 2017 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- £4,827.05 had been received from the Mevagissey Bay Association towards the cost of operating the public conveniences, raised from local businesses, crowdfunding and collection tins. The contributing businesses were the Mevagissey Ferry, Willow Car Park, Harbour Trading, Fishermen’s Chippy, Curio Corner, Fish Grill, Sandwich Hut, Viewpoint Diving, Stone’s Throw Cottage, Harbour View, Mevagissey Laundry, Cofro, Number 5, Tremarne Hotel, Issey, Harbourside Ice Cream, Calacchia, Mevagissey Apartments, Boscombe House, Lost Gardens of Heligan, Salamander, Harbour Tavern, Fish Kiosk, She Sells, The Hoss, Valhalla, Buckingham House, Wild Air, Bacchus, Tea on the Quay. The Council expressed their appreciation to all contributors.
- Untidy sites update:
- EN14/02115 11 Polkirt Hill: The newly appointed builder has now submitted a discharge of conditions application, currently pending consideration by the LPA;
- EN14/02112 Tall Trees Hotel: The planning agent has now received feedback from Highways, as a result of which the project’s structural engineer is compiling some additional information and amendments ahead of submission. The discharge of conditions application should be ready for submission early – mid January 2018. Once this has been approved the owner has stated that he intends to make a start. The planning agent will provide a further update in the New Year.
- The Ward Member had sent his apologies and his report was read out, summarised as follows:
- The footpath between Trevarth and Valley Road has been cleared back and cleaned;
- Cormac are cutting back trees on the B3273 following another broken bus window;
- He has asked for the surgery car park white lines to be repainted;
- He has requested greater enforcement of Wesley Court parking restrictions;
- CC Highways is requesting funds to remove vegetation from the boundary wall between Cliff Park and Polkirt Hill;
- He thanks the Council for their good work and wishes them compliments of the season.
The Chairman expressed the Council’s thanks to Cllr. Mustoe for his good work during the year.
The Clerk was instructed to liaise with Cllr Mustoe on the following issues:
- The condition of the steps to Polstreath beach from the top down to the start of the metal steps;
- The condition of the layby at the Tregiskey crossroads following its use by the contractors working on the School Hill barrier replacement;
- The design of the pedestrian central refuge on the B3273 at Nansladron following two accidents in the past month;
- Appreciation to CC Highways of the good job they have done in replacing the School Hill barrier.
- Correspondence received:
- 5-day protocol letter from the Local Planning Authority (LPA) regarding PA17/10758 (agenda item 9f);
- AONB Annual Report;
- Christmas card from Steve Double MP;
- Six letters from property owners in Portmellon Cove regarding PA17/03292/PREAPP (agenda item 9e).
- To consider Planning and Licensing Applications.
9a. PA17/10964 : Roof conversion including construction of new rear and side dormer. 10 Church Street Mevagissey PL26 6SP. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the Council has no objection to the proposal so long as the Conservation Officer is satisfied. Carried.
9b. PA17/11432 : Construction of single-storey extensions, new balconies, extension of existing dormer and alterations to existing dwelling. Little Treloen Polkirt Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UX
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the proposal subject to the side dormer being obscure glazed. Carried.
9c. PA17/11320 : Construction of 14 new dwellings consisting of 8 Affordable Dwellings (6 for affordable rent and 2 Discounted Sale – Intermediate Units) and 6 open market dwellings including associated car parking and amenity space. Change of use from agricultural land (Grade 3b/4) to residential use. Land North Of Moonfleet School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TH. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council Objects to the proposal because it contravenes policies in the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) and the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF). Carried.
9d. PA17/11087 : Restrospective application for demolition of existing pier and construction of structural pier at rear of property, plus repairs to cracking. Tea On The Quay (FormerlyThe Fishermans Loft) West Wharf Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UJ. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the application subject to the blockwork pier being render finished. Carried.
Note: the resolution also applies to the associated listed building application PA17/11088.
9e. PA17/03292/PREAPP : Pre-application advice sought in respect of a fishing museum and cafe on unused plot of land. Land Off Portmellon Park At OS Grid Ref 201466 43915 Portmellon Park Mevagissey Cornwall
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the Council draws the attention of the LPA to the six letters received from neighbouring property owners, but otherwise makes no comment at this stage. Carried.
9f. To consider a response to the 5-day protocol letter issued on 14 December by the LPA following this Council’s Objection to PA17/10758 : Adjustment to the roof at the front of the building and reduction in some window sizes. Curlews Penwarne Lane Mevagissey PL26 6PF.
Cllr. Daniel, having declared an interest, left the meeting for the duration of this item.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr.Whatty that the Council does not withdraw its Objection but agrees to defer to the decision of the LPA. Carried.
9g. The following planning applications have been APPROVED (included for information only):
PA17/10459 : Non-material amendment in respect of Decision on PA17/00735. Longpoint, Chapel Point Lane.
PA17/08915 : Shed/summerhouse, garden tool store and glass canopy over front door. Compass Point, Polkirt Hill.
PA17/08905 : Change of use to unrestricted residential use. The Barn, Treleaven Farm, Valley Road.
PA17/09354 : Listed Building Consent to replace wooden porch with new. 25 Tregoney Hill.
PA17/08395 : Double and single storey extensions incorporating new garage. Nampara, Penwarne Lane.
9h. The following Planning Enforcement cases have been closed with no breach found (for information only):
EN17/02200 : Alleged unauthorised works to Grade II Listed Building. The Gig House, Elm Terrace.
EN17/01544 : Alleged breach of condition 3 on appeal decision APP/D0840/W/15/3139301 of planning application PA15/03079 – Non installation of wall between footway and garden areas. Land North Of Moonfleet School Hill Mevagissey Cornwall.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||648.13|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||206.36|
|Cornwall Council (contested election charges)||£||3,699.59|
|Cormac (football pitch cutting)||£||574.31|
|Mevagissey Telecottage (website services)||£||350.00|
|West Wharf PC electricity costs 02/09/17-01/12/17||£||57.75|
|Valley Rd PC water charge 01/11/17 – 29/11/17||£||428.20|
|West Wharf PC water charge 01/11/17 – 29/11/17||£||461.08|
|Operate Valley Rd PC 01/10/17 – 31/12/17||£||2,519.67|
|Operate West Wharf PC 01/12/17 – 31/12/17||£||507.00|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||72,553.78|
|Expenditure last month||£||2,710.18|
|plus grant to Mevagissey School PTFA (library)||£||500.00|
|plus grant to Mevagissey Christmas Window Trail||£||150.00|
|West Wharf PC entry charges||£||820.00||Received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||70,025.60|
|Available to spend||£||70,013.60|
|Bank Statements (01/12/2017):|
The addition of the cost of operating the public conveniences, not on the agenda, was noted.
Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard confirmed that the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) is now with the appointed inspector who has asked for further evidence regarding a) the second homes policy and b) the identification of ridgelines in the landscape. Cllr. Whatty will liaise with Cllr. Facey to produce a photographic panorama of the ridgelines.
- There was no update on current affordable housing issues within the Parish.
- There was no update on issues arising from the operation of the public conveniences.
- To approve funding for the installation of a soakaway outside Valley Rd PC and repairs to floor inside. Cllr. Facey being absent, this item deferred to the next meeting.
- Cllr. Blackmore presented evidence to support her contention that there is insufficient guidance for visitors, ie signage and maps. It was agreed that she would circulate the evidence and this item would remain on the agenda.
- In considering a response to the Cornwall Statement of Community Involvement for Planning, the Chairman reported that the Planning Partnership, on which he sits, is progressing this. It was agreed that no further response was necessary, and that the Chairman will keep the Council updated with developments.
- It was agreed not to respond to the Community Network Panel on proposals for ‘Strengthening Community Networks’.
- The Chairman expressed compliments of the season and the meeting ended at 9pm.
Date of next meeting: 18 January 2018.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………