MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 21st January 2016 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Whatty, M Facey, T Barron, J Daniel, N Florence, J Morgan, J Barron, A Chesterfield, S Hrydziuszka, D Speed.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), P Howson (Clerk), 9 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. Apologies received: Cllr. G Shephard.
2a. Declarations of interest. None.
2b. Gift Declarations. None.
- Police Report received for the period 14 Dec to 19 Jan detailing 6 crimes: 1 x criminal damage to dwelling, 1 x theft, 2 x common assault, 1 x disclose private, sexual photographs with intent to cause distress, 1 x send communication conveying indecent/offensive message. The criminal damage and 2 assaults were alcohol-fuelled at New Year, and the theft is a repeat of the November crime of stealing flood-defence panels from a property in Chapel Square which were subsequently returned. It is assumed that the same person is responsible and PCSO Hemming would be grateful for any information.
- Points from the Public. Mr Tim Battell of Portmellon Park spoke regarding Item 9b and explained his objections to the proposal to build another dwelling in the grounds of 22 Portmellon Park.
- Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Minutes of the meeting held on 17th December 2015 be Accepted. Carried.
6 . Actions from previous meeting(s).
2015/12/12: 2016/17 Precept notification form sent to Cornwall Council (CC).
2015/12/13: copy of agreed budget for 2016/17 issued to all members.
2015/12/22: representation sent to Appeal Inspector for PA15/03079 (School Hill).
2015/12/05: the Chairman and Clerk had met Mr Brewster at the War Memorial to consider his proposals for the addition of names. Mr Brewster had described three alternatives, all of which he will cost and present to the Council, probably in March.
- Ward Member’s report. 1) At a meeting with CC Head of Planning and his Chief of Staff regarding their handling of the Treloen / Compass Point enforcement action, an apology was offered and a follow-up meeting agreed for early February. Further, a letter from the Leader of Cornwall Council had been received and circulated. 2) Following an incident where it was unclear who was responsible for a streetlight, Cllr. Mustoe will establish liability.
- Correspondence received.
- Letter from Joyce Duffin CC, Cabinet Member for Housing & Environment, regarding public toilets in Mevagissey.
- Letter from Colin Pound, Post Office Field Change Advisor, regarding the closure of the PO on 20 January.
- Letter from Tim Battell objecting to PA15/11464.
- Letter from Colin Pound (Post Office) advising that a reduced post office service will operate from the Jubilee Hall from 3rd March.
- Planning and Enforcement.
9a. PA15/11256 : Variation of condition 2 attached to PA13/10126 dated 18th February 2014 to allow alterations to elevations and floor plans. The Cliff Polkirt Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UX.
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that no objection be raised. Amendment moved by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the planning officer be asked to consider carefully given the site’s sensitive coastal position within the AONB. Amendment Carried. Substantive Motion Carried.
9b. PA15/11464 : Proposed erection of a dwelling and detached garage. Land Adjacent To No.22 Portmellon Park Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6XD. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council objects to the application because cramming yet another building of this size into the plot would constitute overdevelopment, and the cumulative impact would be unneighbourly. Carried.
9c. PA15/10597 : Installation of a retaining slope structure to include blockwork and concrete wall cut into existing slope with protective guard rail at top with slope anchors and drainage. 69 Church Street Mevagissey St Austell PL26 6SR
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council supports the application. Carried.
9d. PA15/08038 : Variation of Condition 3 of Application No. PA15/04048 dated 27th July 2015 to the obscure glazing to the top floor of the dwelling that faces the sun. The Boatyard Portmellon Mevagissey Cornwall.
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Council has no objection. Carried.
9e. PA15/09483 : Installation of new fire escape exit door to shopfront, which will bring the building in line with current building regulations. 3 Fore Street Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UQ.
Proposed by Cllr. J Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council supports the application. Carried.
9f. PA15/12098 : Extension to living room. 17 Higher Well Park Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6XA
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council has no objection. Carried.
9g. The following planning decisions have been published (included for information only):
PA15/09912 : Two storey extension to rear of property. Pentillie House School Hill. REFUSED
PA15/09646 : Erection of a two storey extension. Trenance Valley Road. APPROVED
PA15/07779 : Listed Building Consent to remove chimney stack. 21 The Cliff. WITHDRAWN
PA15/10535 : Raised decking to front elevation (Retrospective application). Willstrand Trevarth. APPROVED
PA15/10463 : Submission of details to discharge conditions 2, 3 and 4 in respect of Decision notice PA15/03181.
Tremellyn 59 Polkirt Hill Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6UR. DISCHARGE NOT ACCEPTABLE
PA15/09370 : Listed building consent for removal of existing window and cutting in of new door; alteration of internal staircase and installation of internal walls. 18 Church Street. APPROVED
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||647.37|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||207.67|
|CC (operate Valley Road PC April-Sept 2015)||£||4,729.99|
|Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust (donation)||£||250.00|
|LMP (to replace lost cheque issued 16/07/15)||£||42.50|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||39,097.54|
|Expenditure last month||£||984.70|
|Lost cheque 101193 issued 16/07/15 for LMP||£||42.50||adjustment|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||38,596.61|
|Available to spend||£||38,481.21|
|Bank Statements (01/01/2016):|
Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. Speed that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard had sent a report that the Neighbourhood Development Plan was still in the consultation period, and that the only response to date was from Mevagissey WI who had expressed their approval.
- Proposed by Cllr. Whatty, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Council resolves to operate Valley Road public convenience on a leasehold basis on or before 1st April 2016. Carried.
It was agreed that Charles French & Co. of St Austell should handle the conveyancing, and noted that CC would contribute £500 towards legal costs.
- The village Post Office has now closed and a reduced service will operate from the Jubilee Hall from 3rd March during the following times: Monday and Wednesday 10.30am-1.30pm and 2-4.30pm; Tuesday and Thursday 2-5pm. Car tax and travel money services would not be available.
- Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the Council should bid for £2,000 of devolution funding towards the legal and refurbishment costs incurred by taking on the Valley Road toilets this year. Carried.
- Following the recent drowning of a man at Portmellon it had been noted that the lifebelt on the south side of the cove had been obscured by a parked van. Cllrs. Daniel, Facey and Mustoe will establish a more suitable location and Cllr. Mustoe will pursue with CC.
- Cllr. Facey described the valiant efforts of the Mevagissey Coastguard, whose quick response to the incident at Portmellon on New Year’s Day (see above) prevented further losses. Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the Clerk write to them to express the Council’s appreciation. Carried.
- There were three applicants for the Councillor vacancy following the resignation of Alex Williams and, following a ballot, Mr Ken Robinson was co-opted to the Council.
- The meeting ended at 8.50pm. Date of next meeting : 18th February 2016.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………