MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 19 January 2017 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Arthur, J Daniel, N Florence, J Morgan, H Nathan, G Shephard, D Speed, J Whatty.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), P Howson (Clerk), Mr George Lewis of Lipscomb Jones Architects and his clients, 1 member of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. A Chesterfield, K Robinson and M Facey.
- Cllrs. Nathan and Daniel declared an interest in agenda items 10d and 10e.
- No Police Report for the period had been received. Cllr. Mustoe reported that PCSO Yasmin Dingle had just been appointed as the permanent replacement for Tony Hemming, and he would be meeting her shortly.
- Mr George Lewis of Lipscomb Jones Architects presented plans for proposed works to 24 Fore Street (agenda items 10d and 10e) and took questions from Councillors. His clients also addressed the Council and outlined their plans for the proposed retail business.
- Public participation. None.
- Proposed by Cllr. Speed, Seconded by Cllr. Arthur that the minutes of the meeting held on 15 December 2017 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- A schedule of works has been agreed for one of the properties subject to enforcement action under the ‘untidy sites’ initiative, and a Listed Building Consent application has been submitted (agenda item 10f);
- A request for a minor change to the S106 Agreements for the Vicarage Hill affordable homes developments had been submitted, and clarification of the nature of the change is awaited.
- The Ward Member reported that:
- The opening ceremony for the Valley Road playground upgrade is at 3.30pm on 31 January;
- The Pentillie Park playground upgrade has completed;
- A decision on the Compass Point application (PA16/08750) had been deferred by the Planning Committee to await further in depth information and guidance;
- The Community Action Group has upgraded the path between Pentillie Way and the Coast Path and further improved the Battery Park area;
- The Group will be active in Wesley Court this Saturday and will start in Valley Road next month;
- He has participated in a community litter pick with Mevagissey School;
- Lloyds Bank would have to pay parking charges to use the River Street car park for a mobile service, and an update is awaited;
- South West Water’s works near Tregiskey Cross are continuing;
- Cornwall Council plan to close Polkirt Hill from 09:00 to 14:30 between 20 February and 5 March, weekends included, to allow for the demolition of 59 Polkirt Hill. Cllr. Mustoe will push for the closure start time to be delayed until 09:30 to allow parents to get back home after delivering their children to school, and also for the closure schedule to include flexibility in case of tidal cut-off at Portmellon;
- Parts of Cliff Street, School Hill and Old Road will be closed for resurfacing from 09:30 to 16:30 between 13 to 24 February;
- He expressed thanks to the volunteers behind the Live Advent Calendar event, and announced that he would be standing for re-election in May.
- To receive Correspondence.
9a. Letter from Steve Double MP confirming the decision by DCLG to allow town and parish councils to increase their Precepts without holding a referendum. Noted.
9b. Email from grassroots campaign group ‘Charter for Cornwall’ calling for support. No action.
9c. Email from Sarah Mason, CALC Executive Officer, inviting feedback on her Local Government Boundary Review Report. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that there is no consideration of the implications for Parish Councils of ongoing devolution, and that the effect on Mevagissey of a redrawn ward boundary is unknown, and that the Council is therefore unable to comment until these issues are clarified. Carried.
9d. Email from Barbara Atyeo, resident of Portmellon Park, requesting extension to Portmellon Beach dog ban and provision of yellow lines on one side of Portmellon Park by junction with Portmellon Road. Clerk to reply that Dog Control Orders had been replaced by Public Space Protection Orders, for which Cornwall Council was responsible; and that the Parish Council had been pushing for yellow lines at that location and would continue to do so.
- To consider Planning and Licensing Applications.
10a. PA16/11466 : Erection of a sun deck on the rear of existing three-storey dwelling. 23 Polkirt Hill Mevagissey PL26 6UR. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the proposal. Carried.
10b. PA16/11467 : Replacement of domestic garages with single dwelling (revised scheme further to planning permissions PA13/10126 and PA15/11256). The Cliff Polkirt Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UX
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council raises no objections. Carried.
10c. PA16/11768 : Variation of condition 2 in relation to decision notice PA13/10126 dated 18/02/2014: Amended plans. Cliff Top Polkirt Hill Mevagissey PL26 6UX
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the Council raises no objections. Carried.
10d. PA16/12076 : Refurbishment, conversion and extension to provide upgraded retail space and a mix of residential apartments. 24 Fore Street Mevagissey PL26 6UQ.
Cllrs. Daniel and Nathan withdrew for the duration of this and the following item.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council supports the proposal, subject to the following conditions: 1. If it is not possible for the applicant to guarantee that there will be no traffic disruption during the work, then a CTMP should be agreed with the Parish Council before work starts; 2. The external finish should be in keeping with that of neighbouring properties; 3. All concerns detailed by the Historic Environment (Planning) Team in response to the Pre-application (PA16/02892/PREAPP) must be satisfied. Carried.
10e. PA16/12077 : Listed building consent for refurbishment, conversion and extension to provide upgraded retail space and a mix of residential apartments. 24 Fore Street Mevagissey PL26 6UQ
Resolution as for PA16/12076 above.
10f. PA17/00212 : Listed Building Consent for high level maintenance works. re-render and localised fenestration repairs. 11 Polkirt Hill Mevagissey PL26 6UR
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Arthur that the Council supports the proposals. Carried.
10g. PA17/00108 : Replace existing central spine and increase by 2m in height, remove 3no. O2 and 3no. Vodafone antennas, installation of 3no. new CTIL antennas and 1no. 60cm transmission dish with support bracketry, feeder cables and ancillary development thereto. Communications Station Ntl 13126 Higher Well Park Mevagissey Cornwall. Proposed by Cllr. Arthur, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council supports the proposal. Carried.
10h. The following planning applications have been Approved (included for information only):
- PA16/09249 : Construction of raised decking outside kitchen window on west elevation between house and cliff face with plastic decking and a glass and chrome rail, new access door. 2 Bosuns House, Little Meva, East Wharf.
- PA16/11261 : Erection of a single storey orangery and replacement of existing windows. 7 Polkirt Heights.
- PA16/12135 : Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 3 and 4 of PA16/03842. 9 Polkirt Hill.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||647.37|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||207.67|
|Meeting room hire 17/03/16 – 15/12/16||£||342.50|
|Cornwall Air Ambulance Trust (grant)||£||250.00|
|Personal rescue equipment for Portmellon Cove||£||631.48|
|Valley Rd. PC maintenance November 2016||£||67.20|
|Valley Rd. PC water charge December 2016||£||90.98|
|Valley Rd. PC cleaning December 2016||£||912.62|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||53,740.75|
|Expenditure last month||£||3,803.28|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||49,941.54|
|Available to spend||£||49,941.54|
|Bank Statements (01/01/2017):|
Proposed by Cllr. Arthur, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that work on the new version of the Neighbourhood Development Plan was on track.
- There had been no expressions of interest in taking on the cleaning or maintenance contracts for the Valley Road public toilets.
- Cllr. Facey had reported that the new public rescue equipment at Portmellon would be in place by the next meeting.
- Cllr. Nathan outlined her plans for improvements to Wesley Court and The Meadow, which would be carried out in concert with Cllr. Mustoe’s Community Action Group. The Clerk was actioned to write to Cornwall Council and Ocean Housing to express the Council’s displeasure at their lack of maintenance and to request a copy of their work schedule. Cllr. Mustoe had to leave the meeting at this point.
- To agree a response to the consultation on the Community Infrastructure Levy.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Arthur, that the Council agreed with the proposal. Carried.
- To consider the call for evidence to support a lantern and balloon ban. It was noted that the Harbour Trustees are responding to this and no further action is required.
- To consider a proposal by Lloyds Bank to provide a mobile service in the River Street car park. The Clerk was actioned to write to Lloyds to stress that service provision for commercial customers, especially the facility to accept cash deposits, was of paramount importance in any future arrangement.
- The meeting ended at 9.15pm. Date of next meeting: 16 February 2017.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………