MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 19th June 2014 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chair), M Facey, J Daniel, J Morgan, G Shephard, S Hrydziuszka, , E Chesterfield, J Barron, J Whatty.
Apologies Cllrs. C Robins, J Arthur, J Feeley.
In Attendance Cllr. M Bunney (CC), Sandra Beardsmore (Chair of School Governors), PJ Howson (Clerk), 17 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. Declarations of interest. None.
1b. Gift Declarations. None.
2. Police Report. A written report had been received for the period 14 May – 15 June detailing 7 crimes committed:
1 criminal damage to property, 1 common assault and battery, 1 harrassment, 2 theft by finding, 1 burglary commercial, 1 act of outraging public decency.
3. Presentation by Sandra Beardsmore, Chair of Governors of Mevagissey CP School, requesting a grant towards play facilities, specifically a Play Lodge to provide a sheltered play area.
4. Points from the Public. Ten people spoke in opposition to the proposed development in Pentillie Way (Agenda item 6b).
Proposed by Cllr. Chesterfield, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Minutes of 15 May be Accepted. Carried.
Proposed by Cllr. Chesterfield, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Minutes of 12 June be Accepted. Carried.
6. Actions from previous meeting:
Clerk reported that 2 complaints about builders’ vehicles parked illegally on Polkirt Hill appeared to have had some effect, and that the signs at Tregiskey crossroads which blew down earlier in the year had finally been reinstated.
Cllr. Bunney reported that a bus service providing 2-3 runs daily via School Hill was now in place.
6a. PA14/04017 : Listed Building Consent to replace current defective roof covering on the adjoining properties at 4 Mount Street/18 Cliff Street using Reclaimed Delabole Scantle random width natural slate laid in diminishing courses holed for fixing with two copper nails. 4 Mount Street And 18 Cliff Street, Mevagissey.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that this application is Supported, conditional on the stipulations of the Conservation Officer being adhered to. Carried.
6b. PA14/04298 : Proposed two semi-detached dwellings on land between 33 and 36 Pentillie Way, Mevagissey
Proposed by Cllr. Chesterfield, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council opposes this application because it would result in the loss of local amenity open space which has been at the heart of this estate since it was built 60 years ago. This was recognised on the last occasion when development was proposed here, and was refused accordingly (C2/02/01832). Carried.
6c. PA14/03459 : Dormer extension and alterations within roof to rear of property.
10 Summerfield Close, Mevagissey. APPROVED.
6d. PA14/03549 : Proposed infill of covered way. 7 Church Lane, Mevagissey. APPROVED.
|Bills to Pay||Clerk’s salary||£||646.09|
|Income Tax & NIC||£||210.74|
|Admin costs (DCO & Planning)||£||21.75|
|Dog control signage||£||98.40|
|DCO Made press notice||£||60.00|
|3 x ROAD CLOSED signs||£||239.04|
|External audit of annual accounts||£||360.00|
|New fixings for Tregiskey village sign||£||9.60|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||27,090.49|
|Expenditure last month||£||1,835.23|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||25,620.26|
|Unpresented cheques (101100, 101112)||£||365.00|
|Available to spend||£||25,255.26|
|Bank Statements (01/06/2014):|
Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid.
8. Grant request from Board of Governors, Mevagissey CP School (see Agenda Item 4).
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that a grant of £1,500 be made to fund a Play Lodge. Carried.
9. Terms of Reference for Committees. Agreed that no change should be made.
10. Frequency of street cleaning. It was felt that Mark Groom, our established street cleaner, was best placed to judge where his efforts should be focussed, and that he should not be constrained by arbitrary cleaning schedules. Cllr. Bunney undertook to seek agreement with this approach.
11. Update on possible changes to fish loading / traffic arrangements. Councillors were not happy with the latest proposed scheme, and agreed that Cllr. Bunney should arrange another site visit between the Highways Department and the Council to consider other options.
12. Road signs / grant request from the Feast Week Committee. In addition to the 3 Road Closed signs already purchased, MFWC have said that a further 8 signs are required to meet their legal obligations, and have also requested a grant towards new props for the parades.
Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel, that a grant of £450 be paid, and that all the required road signs should be purchased, to remain the property of the Council but to be made freely available to MFWC. Carried.
13. School Hill development – update. Agreed that this item should now be removed from future Agendas.
14. Devolution – update. Cllrs. Daniel and Bunney agreed that this should be delegated to a committee to make proposals for consideration by full Council. Clerk to place it higher on the next agenda.
15. Co-option of Councillors. Mr Nigel Florence was co-opted to the Council by a written vote.
16. The meeting ended at 9 pm. Date of next meeting : 17 July 2014