MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 18 June 2015 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), M Facey (Vice Chairman), J Whatty, S Hrydziuszka, G Shephard, T Barron, J Barron, J Daniel, J Morgan, E Chesterfield, N Florence, A Williams, D Speed.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), P Howson (Clerk), 2 members of the public,
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. Apologies received: None
2a. Declarations of interest. Cllr. Roberts, as a member of the rowing club, declared an interest in Item 9a.
2b. Gift Declarations. None.
- Police Report. A report was received detailing 3 crimes for the period 18th May to 14th June 2015: 1 theft from motor vehicle, 1 theft, and 1 deposit item on highway causing injury/danger to user. The theft from motor vehicle is alleged to have taken place in one of the privately owned car parks in Mevagissey. This is currently being investigated. The theft took place in one of the local public houses where a mobile telephone was left unattended. The Deposit Item on a Highway crime is an action being taken by the Police where mud on the road caused a number of accidents on the same day.
- Points from the Public.
Mr Tim Battell spoke on Item 9e. As the applicant he wanted to know why the Council were unable to support the application when they supported an identical one three years ago.
Mr John Wombwell, of Wombwell Homes, spoke on Item 9d and asked the Council to reconsider their opposition. Councillors explained that they accepted the need to replace the existing building, but that the proposed design, in particular the roof line, was out of keeping with the surrounding houses. Mr Wombwell agreed to speak to his client about the possibility of amending the design.
- Minutes of last meeting. Cllr. Daniel said that he had declared an interest in May agenda item 9h. The Minutes were duly noted. Then Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. Chesterfield that the Minutes of 21 May 2015 be Accepted. Carried.
- Actions from previous meeting:
2015/05/08: a meeting with Colin Pound, the Area Change Manager for Post Offices in Cornwall, has been arranged for 7pm on Monday 22 June at the MAC to discuss the forthcoming closure in November of Mevagissey Post Office.
2015/03/20: the village clock is now working correctly again.
2015/05/13: alternative quote for signpost renovation received (see Item 17 below).
2014/10/14: the War Memorial gate has been fitted, and is just awaiting a spring closure.
- Ward Member’s report. Cllr. Mustoe reported that a further meeting with the Post Office had been very positive, and ATM provision would be considered as part of identifying a replacement site. Also, the footpath on The Cliff had been reopened following a report of loose surface debris becoming detached from the cliff face.
- Correspondence received.
- Letter from Mevagissey Bowls Club thanking the Parish Council for the grant they received towards a new vacuuming machine for their all weather playing surface;
- Letter from the Cornwall AONB Unit consulting on the review of their Management Plan;
- Letter from The Fishermen’s Mission inviting attendance to the Blessing of the Fleet Service on the Jetty at 3pm on Saturday 27th June. The Rev. John Kendall will give the address and the Mevagissey Male Voice Choir will sing;
- Letter from Cornwall Council, Planning & Enterprise Service, consulting on the new Local Validation List.
- Letter from Mr Jason Pickering of St Austell complaining about the lack of waste bins around the harbour and about the state of the public toilets. The Clerk was asked to put ‘harbour bins’ on the agenda for July.
9a. PA15/04047 : Extension to the existing portal framed shed at the Boatyard, Portmellon, Mevagissey PL26 6PN.
Cllr. Roberts left the room for the duration of this item.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. J Barron that the Council Supports the application. Carried.
9b. PA15/04048 : Proposed new bespoke modern dwelling. Plot 2 The Boatyard Portmellon Mevagissey PL26 6PN.
Proposed by Cllr.Chesterfield, Seconded by Cllr.Hrydziuszka that the Council Objects to the application because it is not sympathetic with its setting and is not in keeping with the rest of the houses in Portmellon.
Voting being equally divided, the Chairman used his casting vote. Carried.
9c. PA15/05305 : Erection of new garage and conversion of existing garage to kitchen.
Casma Chapel Point Lane Portmellon Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6PP
The depiction of the existing property on the site location plan does not match that shown on the proposed site plan. Councillors decided therefore to visit the site to assess the impact of the proposal and defer a decision until the next meeting.
9d. PA15/01969 : Demolition of existing bungalow and construction of new dwelling. Tresleigh Polkirt Hill.
To reconsider previous objection following representations from Senior Planning Officer and developer.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr.J Barron that the Council’s Objection stands, in the hope that the agent’s stated intention to ask his client to revisit the design will result in an acceptable solution. Carried.
9e. PA15/03545 : Construction of summerhouse/home office in rear garden. 57 Portmellon Park Mevagissey.
To reconsider previous deferral pending Policy 35 ruling expected in the Steep House appeal decision.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Council acknowledges that an identical proposal had been previously Approved with the Support of the Parish Council, and therefore, and without prejudice to the interpretation of Restormel Saved Policy 35, does not Object to this Application. Carried.
9f. Consideration of Environment Agency requirements for development proposals within the flood zone following EA objections to PA15/03086 (Proposed conversion in yard adjacent to 28 Church Street).
It was noted that the Neighbourhood Development Plan should include flood risk considerations.
9g. Report to Council following Ava House site meeting on 11 June. The Chairman reported that the developer had shown his intent to develop proposals acceptable to the Council, although work would probably not begin until 2017.
The following planning decisions have been published (included for information only):
9h. PA15/01977 : Variation of condition 3 in relation to decision notice 88/22/00735/F: To enable the extension to be used as holiday accommodation. Harbour View Trevarth Mevagissey. APPROVED
9i. PA15/02984 : New three bedroom dwelling to replace existing disused squash court with onsite parking space for three vehicles in adjacent car port. Land North Of 41 Tregoney Hill Mevagissey. APPROVED
9j. PA14/12082 : Installation of new shopfront. West Wharf Mevagissey. APPROVED
9k. PA14/12097 : Listed Building Consent for internal cosmetic works, decoration to shopfront, fascia sign/projecting banners and wall branding. Quay West West Wharf Mevagissey. APPROVED
9l. PA15/03624 : Works to trees subject to a TPO. Park Cottage Portmellon. APPROVED
9m. PA15/03783 : Living room and porch extension. 14 Summerfield Close Mevagissey. APPROVED
9n. PA15/03079 : Proposed Residential Development for 12 New Dwellings (7 Affordable and 5 Open Market).
Land North Of Moonfleet School Hill Mevagissey. REFUSED
9o. Cllr Facey reported that the illuminated sign on the new Fat Face premises is left on all night, creating significant light pollution. He has asked them to turn it off, but they replied that they have no control over it. The Clerk was asked to establish whether anything could be done about it.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||647.17|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||207.87|
|Costs of mailshot re. PA15/03079||£||16.20|
|MAC (Room hire 15/10/14 – 30/04/15)||£||260.00|
|Footpath cutting (FPs 5,7,8,10,11 – 1st cut)||£||72.00|
|Grant Thornton (audit fee)||£||240.00|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||27,244.94|
|Expenditure last month||£||1,809.71|
|VAT reclaimed for 2014/15||£||2,097.40||received|
|Public conveniences fund contribution||£||300.00||received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||29,082.63|
|Unpresented cheques (101175,80)||£||1,250.00|
|Available to spend||£||27,832.63|
|Bank Statements (01/06/2015):|
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Neighbourhood Plan. Cllr Shephard reported on input from various officers from Cornwall Council (eg housing, AONB, Homechoice Register), which will require the draft Plan to be revisited. A survey amongst the farming community is under way, a survey of retail premises is about to begin, and a public meeting dealing with landscape assessment will be arranged shortly. The Plan will then be presented to the full Council at a closed meeting on 9th July.
- To agree representation for forthcoming meeting with Savilles to progress affordable housing phase 3. Savilles manage the glebe land for the Church Commissioners. Attendance was agreed for the meeting of 19th June.
- Funding for public toilets. Cllr. Williams handed over £1,185 collected during the month from the following local businesses: Mevagissey Post Office, Stone’s Throw, Harbourside Roskillys, Bella Mae, Fishermen’s Chippy, On The Rocks, Harbour Trading, Cofro, The Penthouse, The Candy Shop, Moore’s, Honeycombe House. The total contributed will be reviewed at the next meeting.
There was much discussion following sight of a letter from Jon James, CC Environment Manager, to the Harbour Trustees indicating that the West Wharf toilets would close at the end of September this year, although he had previously told the Parish Council that they were safe until the end of the financial year. Cllr. Roberts, as a Harbour Trustee, left the room at this point for the remainder of the item. Cllr Facey asked that a motion be placed on the agenda for July committing the Council to funding the toilets for next year. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Clerk should write to Cornwall Council to deplore the nature of their dealings with the Harbour Trustees over closing the toilets whilst members of the Parish Council are trying to raise money to keep them open; and to write to the Harbour Trustees requesting a meeting. Carried.
- To consider options prior to meeting on 22 June with Colin Pound of the Post Office. The postmaster has postponed his retirement until November to allow more time for an alternative location to be identified. All Councillors were asked to attend the meeting, which was at 7pm at the MAC.
- To respond to consultation on the Cornwall AONB Management Plan review. Cllr Shephard had drafted a response which he will circulate for comment. The Clerk will then collate the Council’s response.
- To respond to consultation on the new Local Validation List (Planning). The Council made no comment.
- To approve funding for renovation of finger signposts at either end of Chapel Square.
Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Chesterfield that the Cormac quote be accepted. Carried.
- To approve funding for replacement computer for Parish office.
Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. J Barron that funding be approved. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 9.55pm. Date of next meeting : 16 July 2015
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………