MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 15 June 2017 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), Julian Barron, T Barron, J Blackmore, N Florence, M Facey, J Morgan, H Nathan, G Shephard, J Whatty.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), Ms Alex Williams of the Mevagissey Bay Association, P Howson (Clerk).
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. D Speed, K Robinson, J Daniel and Jade Barron.
- Cllr. Blackmore declared an interest in agenda item 18 and Cllr. Facey declared an interest in agenda item 20.
- It was noted that no Police Report had been received for the period.
- Public participation. Alex Williams intended to speak on agenda item 16 and it was agreed that she would join the meeting when that item came to be considered.
- Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the minutes of the meeting held on 18 May be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed that they have no further need for the police room;
- £2,598.47 VAT repayment for 2016/17 has been received from HMRC;
- Update on ‘untidy sites’ initiative: the agent for ‘Tall Trees’ (aka ‘The Hollies’) has raised planning application PA17/05289 for the discharge of pre-commencement conditions;
- A class from Carclaze Primary School have created a circular walk around the village which will involve QR codes being attached at various sites, including the village sign, for which permission has been given.
- The Ward Member reported that:
- He has secured agreement that Higher and Lower Well Park will be resurfaced during the next financial year;
- He has asked for the path from Vicarage Hill to the school to receive an extra cut;
- The owner of Central Cafe has been asked to replace the Stop sign following several incidents of motorists entering the one-way system the wrong way;
- He arranged for Ocean Housing to cut back the plantings on Church Street to improve visibility for motorists;
- East Wharf Toilets go to auction with Clive Emson on 26th July 2017;
- He worked with the Community Action Group (CAG) to tidy the steps at the top of Shilly Ally Op, removing 14 sacks of garden waste and 2 of mixed glass and plastic;
- The CAG has also been busy on the Commonwealth War Graves and in the Wesley Court area with Cllr. Nathan, and will be working on Valley Road in preparation for Feast Week;
- He met CC Head of Parking Enforcement on-site at Wesley Court and secured agreement to expedite the re-painting of yellow lines there and include the area in the enforcement officers’ periodic visits;
- Following the Cornwall Council elections, he has been re-appointed as Shadow Cabinet Member for Children and Young People, and continues to sit on the Cornwall Inshore Fisheries Conservation Authority.
- Correspondence was received from:
- St Peter’s Church requesting a donation for wheelchair access ramp (agenda item 18);
- The Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre (Cornwall) thanking the Parish Council for their grant;
- Seafarers UK requesting that the Red Ensign is flown in the Parish on Merchant Navy Day (3 September);
- Mevagissey Football Club requesting a £250 grant towards pitch improvement (agenda item 22);
- Mevagissey School PTFA requesting a donation towards the cost of additional perimeter fencing for safeguarding purposes (agenda item 23);
- Mevagissey Male Choir requesting a donation (agenda item 24).
The letter from Seafarers UK was discussed. The only flagpole is owned by the Harbour Trustees so this would be a collaborative event and details for an appropriate ceremony were being progressed. Cllr. Julian Barron offered to provide the flag if necessary. There will be an update at the next meeting.
- To consider Planning and Licensing Applications. The Chairman reported on his attendance at the meeting the previous day of the Planning Partnership, at which Phil Mason, CC Head of Planning, had spoken on the need to update planning procedures following adoption of the Cornwall Local Plan and to enable greater participation by local councils, particularly during the pre-application period. Planning training was being seen as increasingly important for all councillors involved in the process. Guidance on the Community Infrastructure Levy will be issued following the current consultation period, and a new weekly list of current planning enforcement cases by parish is in the pipeline.
9a. PA17/03739 : The imminent need to permanently protect first floor rendered external wall of existing dwelling.
12 Pentillie Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6QX
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Julian Barron that the Council raises no objection. Carried.
9b. PA17/04546 : Loft conversion to bedroom incorporating dormer windows and replacement lean-to at ground floor level Garden restructuring including new steps position. Seafarers Watch 4 Coastguard Station Mall Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6QP. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council objects to the proposal because a dormer window would counter the visual aspect of the terrace and set a precedent for other properties in the terrace. Carried.
9c. PA17/04806 : Refurbishment of domestic property to include new windows/doors, new roof, re-design of dormer and sun room. Penfose Tregoney Hill Mevagissey PL26 6RF
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Council supports the application. Carried.
9d. PA17/05196 : Retrospective application for Replacement of two rotten sash windows, and one front door with new double glazed units, like for like in terms of number of panes and style. 2 Sea View Cottages Road From Bodrugan Hill To Portmellon Road Portmellon Mevagissey PL26 6PJ
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council raises no objection. Carried.
9e. PA17/05197 : Retrospective Listed Building Consent for Replacement of two rotten sash windows, and one front door with new double glazed units, like for like in terms of number of panes and style. 2 Sea View Cottages Road From Bodrugan Hill To Portmellon Road Portmellon Mevagissey PL26 6PJ
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council raises no objection. Carried.
9f. PA17/04737 : Two storey extension to rear to form 3 flats plus a detached double garage. Pentillie House School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TQ
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Nathan that the Council objects to this proposal on the same grounds as previously for this site. Furthermore, the property lies within an Area of Special Character identified in the Mevagissey NDP, currently with Cornwall Council pending referendum, and is therefore subject to Policy HC2 which seeks to maintain the existing character of such identified areas. Carried.
9g. The following planning applications have been Approved (included for information only):
PA17/00941 : Partial rebuild of workshop, etc. The yard lying to South East Of 28 Church Street.
PA17/03388 : Listed building consent. The yard lying to South East Of 28 Church Street.
PA17/03642 : Rear extension to roof, etc. Curlews, Penwarne Lane.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||648.13|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||206.36|
|Little Nippers (grant – 50% of ex-VAT cost to be repaid)||£||2,832.00|
|Police room (Apr-May)||£||100.00|
|Service Valley Road toilets May-June 2017||£||1,679.79|
|Service West Wharf toilets 27/05/17-27/06/17||£||1,098.96|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||67,548.79|
|Expenditure last month||£||4,874.90|
|2016-17 VAT repaid||£||2,598.47||received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||65,844.36|
|Available to spend||£||65,272.36|
|Bank Statements (01/06/2017):|
Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the revised version of Standing Orders be adopted. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that dialogue with CC on the Neighbourhood Development Plan was ongoing.
- Cllr. Facey reported that hanging baskets had been installed on the Valley Road public toilet block.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Council will apply to take over the lease on the West Wharf public toilet block. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that GCF Property Maintenance Services, who have been carrying out cleaning and maintenance of the West Wharf public toilets as an interim measure, should be asked to continue for the remainder of the financial year. Carried.
- Alex Williams of the Mevagissey Bay Association joined the meeting to discuss funding for the public toilets. She has written to local businesses and secured pledges totalling £4,865 to date. Cllr. Facey reported that entry charges at West Wharf public toilets were expected to mitigate costs considerably. Monies from both sources would be received by the Clerk for banking. Alex asked for permission to progress improvements to the interior décor of the West Wharf facility and was advised to co-ordinate this with the cleaning and maintenance contractor.
- The Chairman reported no progress on negotiations with Lloyds Bank.
- Cllr. Blackmore withdrew from proceedings for the duration of this item. Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that a grant be made to St. Peter’s Church to cover 50% of the cost of supply and installation of a wheelchair access ramp at the Vicarage Hill gate access. Amendment moved by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Nathan that the grant should cover the full cost of £306.28. Amendment and substantive motion Carried. A cheque will be issued at the next meeting.
- Consideration was given to funding an additional waste bin to be sited at the junction of Fore Street / Du Maurier Court. It was felt that it would be better to replace the existing bins with an up to date recycling scheme throughout the village. Cllr. Mustoe will enquire as to the feasibility of trialling such a scheme.
- Cllr. Facey withdrew from the meeting for the duration of this item. Consideration was given to Cllr. Nathan’s proposal that the first 30 minutes of parking at the River Street Car Park should be free of charge. It was agreed that this would be requested at the next CC review of car parking charges. Cllr. Mustoe will find out when this will be.
- Consideration was given to a recent enquiry regarding the availability and effectiveness of defibrillators within the parish, and it was agreed that the enquirer should be referred directly to those establishments hosting such a device.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllt. T Barron that a grant of £250 be made to Mevagissey Football Club for specialist pitch improvement. Carried.
- After consideration of a request from Mevagissey School PTFA for a donation towards the cost of perimeter fencing, it was Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council should only fund discretionary expenditure and that infrastructure should be provided by the school’s funding authority. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Whatty, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that a grant of £250 towards operational costs should be made to Mevagissey Male Choir. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 9.05pm. Date of next meeting: 20 July 2017.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………