MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 19 October 2017 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Blackmore, J Daniel, M Facey, G Shephard; J Whatty.
In Attendance P Howson (Clerk), 2 members of the public. .
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. J Morgan, T Barron, Julian Barron, H Nathan, K Robinson, N Florence and J Mustoe.
- Cllr. Whatty declared an interest in agenda item 9c (planning application in Roberts Close).
- PCSO Yasmin Barrott (née Dingle)’s secondment has been extended to December, when she will form part of a pool of 6 PCSOs covering the St Austell Area. Mevagissey will no longer have a dedicated PCSO, but PCSO Barrott has offered to resume monthly crime reports, this month’s being as follows: A total of 6 crimes, comprising 1 x common assault (outside a pub), 1 x assault causing actual bodily harm, 1 x criminal damage (to a shed at the MAC, no offender identified), 2 x harassment (domestic incidents) and 1 x injure wildlife (a schedule 1 bird found dead following sounds of an air weapon being fired, no offender identified). Both assaults are under investigation.
- Public Participation.
- Mrs Anthea McNeill spoke on agenda item 9a. As the applicant, she outlined the reasons for the proposed extensions at Nampara, and explained how the plans had been revised to address the concerns of the immediate neighbour.
- The Reverend David Hart introduced himself as the new Minister at St Andrew’s Church, and was welcomed by the Chairman.
- Mr John Whatty (having declared an interest as a Councillor in agenda item 9c and removed himself to the public area) described how all properties in the north-west corner of the estate were affected by a TPO root protection zone, and all properties had soakaways, and so it would be desirable for planning applications in that area to show the locations of these constraints on the submitted drawings.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2017 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- The statutory period for an election to be called to fill the current vacancy on the Council ends tomorrow (20th). Assuming there is no election the vacancy will be filled by co-option at the November meeting.
- A donation of £25 towards the public toilet fund was received from the Mevagissey Male Choir in appreciation of a free winter parking space for their trailer being made available at the Willow Car Park;
- S W Water have applied for a road closure on Bodrugan Hill (uphill from Chapel Point Lane) from 14-21 November to enable an upgrade to the water supply;
- Ocean Housing and Gilbert & Goode Construction have booked the Jubilee Hall for the 15th November for a consultation event between 2pm and 7pm, where they will be presenting plans and seeking views on their proposed new housing development at the top of Vicarage Hill. They will be arranging a mailshot to all people on the Homechoice Housing Register and will put up posters around the village. An item will also be included in the forthcoming issue of Tower & Spire, and it is hoped that Parish Councillors will be in attendance.
- Untidy sites initiative:
- Tall Trees: One condition remains to be discharged concerning the retaining wall to road. Details submitted to Highways and response awaited.
- 11 Polkirt Hill: The owner has recently appointed another builder to the project. The lintel to ground floor window has been propped to make it safe. Building Control have inspected. Awaiting discharge of condition concerning the lime mortar to be used. The overgrown rear garden and dilapidated shed will be included in the forthcoming works.
- The Ward Member had sent his apologies. He was accompanying the Community Action Group (CAG) to the Cornwall Volunteer Awards at the Eden Project, and his report was read out, summarised as follows:
- He has secured Cormac’s permission to allow Heligan Gardens to maintain land on Valley Road between the bus stop and fire station, and is progressing with Heligan;
- He has reported incidents of anti-social behaviour at Trewinney Cemetery;
- The CAG worked on the Valley Road boat memorial and the War Memorial ahead of Remembrance Day, and has tidied up and planted tulips, donated by Cormac, at both sites. He asked the Council to consider funding the purchase of stone chippings for the CAG to lay at the boat memorial site. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council would fund this, up to a maximum value of £50.
- He was part of the launch events for the Three Bays Wildlife Group in Charlestown and at the MAC. Over 30 people attended the Mevagissey event and many ideas were put forward;
- Surfers Against Sewage have a beach clearance at Colona Beach on Tuesday 24th October, meeting at the Rising Sun carpark at 1.30 pm, to be followed at Caerhays on 22nd and Pentewan Sands (meeting at Pentewan Watersports) on 28th, both at 1.30 pm.
- Correspondence received:
- Letter from the Local Government Boundary Commission for England asking for the Council’s views on future division boundaries for CC (Agenda item 16);
- Letter from CC Legal Services offering their services to local councils on a non-profit basis of £95 per hour.
- To consider Planning and Licensing Applications.
9a. PA17/08395 : Demolition of existing Garage/ Workshop and single storey extension and construction of double and single storey extensions incorporating new garage. Nampara Penwarne Lane Mevagissey PL26 6PF
Proposed by Cllr. Whatty, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that if the LPA is satisfied with the accuracy of the submitted drawings, the Parish Council would raise no objection. Carried.
9b. PA17/08904 : Retention of two dwellings without compliance with conditions 6 and 7 in respect of decision 89/22/01585/F (conversion of farm building to 2 dwellings) to allow permanent unrestricted residential use. The Barn Treleaven Farm Valley Road Mevagissey PL26 6SA
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the application. Carried.
9c. PA17/09004 : Erection of new garage for additional off road dry storage of vehicle. 8 Roberts Close Mevagissey PL26 6DX. Cllr. Whatty left the meeting for the duration of this item, having declared an interest. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that if the LPA is satisfied that there would be no impact on either the TPO root protection zone or the soakaway, then the Parish Council would support the application. Carried.
9d. The following planning decisions are noted (included for information only):
PA17/01137 : Replace Existing Garage With New Self Contained Annex. Pondokie, School Hill APPROVED
PA17/08011 : Extension of existing rear dormer, front terrace, etc. The Gables, Trevarth APPROVED
PA17/08108 : New rear extension and front porch, etc. Higher Polstreath, School Hill APPROVED
PA17/07846 : Two storey side extension with internal alterations. Hazeldene, School Hill APPROVED
PA17/08606 : Mono pitch dormer to front elevation. Curlews, Penwarne Lane APPROVED
PA17/04737 : Two storey extension to rear to form 3 flats. Pentillie House, School Hill REFUSED
PA17/07146 : Dwellinghouse and garage. Land Adjacent To No 22 Portmellon Park WITHDRAWN
9e. The following Planning Enforcement case has been closed (included for information only):
EN17/01745 : Installation of a large window. 50 Cliff Street. No action required. Permitted development.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||648.33|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||206.16|
|Valley Rd PC electricity costs 02/07/17 – 30/09/17||£||49.60|
|Valley Rd PC water charge 07/09/17 – 04/10/17||£||504.68|
|West Wharf PC water charge 07/09/17 – 04/10/17||£||515.63|
|Operate West Wharf PC 01/10/17 – 31/10/17||£||1,282.94|
|Highways weed control (2 of 2)||£||372.00|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||54,182.02|
|Expenditure last month||£||8,079.56|
|plus grant to Gorran & Mevagissey Scout Group||£||250.00|
|West Wharf PC entry charges||£||1,543.00||Received|
|Precept & CTS Grant (part 2)||£||28,195.71||Received|
|Bank interest to 29/09/17||£||4.50||Received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||76,162.32|
|Available to spend||£||75,595.67|
|Bank Statements (01/10/2017):|
The addition of West Wharf PC operation and highways weed control, not on the agenda, was noted.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that the Council has been asked to accept the proposed examiner of the Neighbourhood Development Plan. She seemed very suitable and a decision would be made in the next few days.
- In considering current affordable housing issues within the Parish, it was noted that there are now two schemes on the table: from Westcountry Land at School Hill and Ocean Housing at Vicarage Hill. Because of the forthcoming public event being staged by Ocean Housing, it was agreed to defer further discussion to the November meeting at which there would be a resolution that the discussion should take place in closed session, with public, press and interested parties excluded, in order to avoid publicity which may prejudice the public interest.
- Operational review of the operation of the public conveniences. It was agreed that for 2017/18 the Valley Road PC should remain fully open all year, and that the West Wharf PC should remain fully open from April to October, but that only the disabled facility should remain open from November to March. The cost of this will be reflected in the annual budget to be agreed at the November meeting.
- Cllr. Facey had obtained a quote for the installation of a soakaway outside Valley Rd PC and repairs to the floor inside, but asked for the item to be deferred to the next meeting so that he can explore alternative solutions.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the operation of the West Wharf PC from 1st November to the end of the current financial year should be restricted to the disabled facilities only. Carried.
- In considering a response to the consultation on Division Boundaries for Cornwall, it was agreed that any proposal to amend Division Boundaries should not require the division of Parishes, and that the current proposal was therefore unacceptable, requiring as it does the division of Pentewan Valley and St. Mewan Parishes.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that a grant of £500 should be made to Mevagissey School to be put towards the cost of refurbishing the school library. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 9.05 pm. Date of next meeting: 23 November 2017
NOTE: exceptionally, this will be the fourth Thursday in the month, not the third.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………