Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in St Just Institute, St Just in Roseland, on Monday 7th September 2015. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.
The Chairman Cllr. B. Chenoweth, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, B. Sadler, P. Salter, P. Teague, K. Warren, and
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk), Cornwall Cllr. German, Jon Smith (RNP) and 6 Members of the public.
- To accept apologies for absence – Apologies received from Cllrs. Benney, Black and Hall.
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation – No matters were raised.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd August 2015
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 3rd August 2015 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. Cllrs. C. Williams and P. Farmiloe abstained.
- Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda
Improvements to signage and traffic control measures in St Mawes village/On street parking enforcements – Nothing new to report
- Report from the Clerk – The Clerk reported that the Roseland Cluster meeting is planned for Monday 28th September to be held in the Millennium Rooms, commencing at 7pm, to discuss the RNDP and the Paperless Planning System.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – No report received
- Report from Cornwall Cllr. German – Cornwall Cllr. German welcomed the successful referendum of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan. Cornwall Cllr. German also mentioned that the Waste Reduction Scheme has finally come through.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
St. Mawes and Gerrans Football Ground Committee – Cllr. Giles reported that the Football Club has finally secured the ground next to the football pitch from the National Trust. In time this will enable the footpath from Upper Castle Road to the Water Tower to be open for public use.
St. Mawes Carnival Committee – Cllr. P. Farmiloe reported that it was a very good carnival week which raised about the same as last year and thanked all for their support and the Parish Council for the funding the St Johns Ambulance.
St. Just in Roseland Institute Committee – Cllr. P. Teague reported that the income from the Fun Week was on par with last year, which was remarkable considering the bad weather.
The Chairman asked to suspend Standing Orders to bring forward item 13. All in favour by a show of hands.
- Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan (RNDP)
- b) To receive a report from the Parish Council Chairman regarding the RNDP
Cllr. Chenoweth welcomed a frank discussion on the RNDP as some Councillors did not fully understand the structure, where the plan fitted in to the planning process and where the role of the Parish Council fits in.
- a) To receive a report from the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan Group
Jon Smith gave a briefing on the role of the RNDP advising that it is not a statutory consultee and that the plan has been produced to give advice. The views of the RNDP would be sent to the Planning Officer initially as an informal representation. It is an opportunity for parishes to work together with the RNDP Assessment Group, their local Cornwall Councillor and Cornwall Council Planners.
Normal Standing Orders resumed
- a) To consider recommendations from any meeting of the Planning Committee held
No meeting was held.
- b) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA15/07049 – Sea Craig, 4 Carrick Way, St Mawes – Proposed construction of a replacement dwelling house with integral garage and residential amenity space – considered by the Planning Committee – objection
- PA15/07032 – Riviera Gardens, Riviera Lane, St Mawes – alterations and extensions to the existing dwelling – under consideration by members of the Planning Committee
- PA15/07623 – The Cottage, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland – Listed building consent for proposed detached bedroom annexe linked to existing store building within the curtilage of existing grade 11 listed residential dwelling (works permitted under Planning Permission PA15/05369) – to be considered at Parish Council meeting.
- PA15/07672 – 14 Polvarth Estate, St Mawes – ground floor rear extension and balcony – under consideration by Cllrs Benney, Farmiloe and Salter
- PA15/07673 – 4 Trevennel Close, St Just in Roseland – conversion of garage into living accommodation – under consideration by Cllrs. Sadler. Teague and Warren
- c) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
PA15/05369 – The Cottage, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland (12) – proposed detached bedroom annexe linked to existing store building within the curtilage of existing residential dwelling – approved
PA15/0596 – Rose Cottage, 8 Gibraltar Terrace, St Mawes – Non material amendment, in respect of decision notice PA14/11448 – for various works including replacing external door with window; flat roof added to extension and terrace doors reduced in width in respect of decision notice PA14/11448 – approved
PA15/05603 – Ventongassick, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland (13) – Proposed conversion of redundant milking parlour to 3 bedroom residential dwelling – considered by the Planning Committee – Following the Parish Council’s initial representation supporting the application, it was asked to reconsider under the Local Council Protocol 5 Day Rule and requested for it to go to Cornwall Council Planning Committee. However, this was over ruled by the elected local Member and planning permission was refused.
PA15/06962 – Trewarren, Riviera Lane, St Mawes (17) – Lime Tree, remove epitomic growth
and thin crown by 25% – delegated to authority – decided not to make a TPO (TCA apps)
PA15/0618 – Braes, Newton Road, St Mawes (14) – material amendment to original approval in
respect of decision notice PA15/00825 – proposed demolition of existing bungalow and the erection of 3 new buildings – no decision
- d) Enforcements
Active EN 14/02128 – Lowen Meadow, St Mawes – use of land for helicopter and motorcycle activity in excess of the 28 day rule – No update received.
Closed EN15/01618 – Land adj to Polventon, St Just in Roseland breach of condition 3 of decision notice PA15/03896 – construction management plan – reason – justification from officer
- e) To consider planning correspondence the Parish Council considered the list of correspondence.
- f) Street Trading
(i) To further consider the update on the proposed trading in Tredenham Road, St Mawes
There was no update on this matter.
(ii) To consider the consultation on Cornwall Council Street Trading Review.
This was deferred to the next meeting as the closing date for the consultation is 10th November.
(iii) To further consider introducing a Policy on trading in Conservation Areas
This was deferred to the next meeting as it may be connected to the Street Trading Review.
- h) Paperless Planning Scheme
To consider updates on the Paperless Planning Scheme
The Clerk stressed the impact the proposed new scheme which is due to be active from January 2016 would have on the Parish Council and the Clerk’s Office; the concerns are shared with a great many other Town and Parish Councils. The Clerk confirmed that Sarah Newton MP has responded to the Parish Council’s letter suggesting that the Government allows Local Councils to set their own charges for planning applications.
12b. Affordable Housing
To consider updates on Affordable Housing matters – Nothing to report
- Accounts and Finance
- a) To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
Total cheques numbered 6848 to 6860 approved and signed at meeting £ 6, 692.29
Total paid since last meeting 6844 to 6847 were ratified £ 1, 078.09
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in August £10, 018.45
Salaries paid by FPO and transfers 1st August 2015 £ 3, 892.15
Income shown as received during August £ 3, 434.97
Approval of the payments of accounts proposed by Cllr. Sadler. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) To consider funding the commemorative plaque on St Mawes Pier to mark the Diamond Jubilee
The original plaque ordered with Luxury Slate Designs and paid for by the St Mawes Diamond Jubilee
Committee in May has not yet materialised. Cllr. Warren proposed that, if the original plaque ordered is not received within one month, then the Parish Council should pay for another plaque from Delabole Slate Company at a net cost of £216. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- c) To consider the request from St Mawes AFC for the funding of a new pitch line marker
The Council considered the request from Gerrans and St Mawes United Football Club to fund a new line marker for use at the football pitch at Halwartha Park, St Mawes. The Club has gone form strength to strength, raising almost £9,000 in its first year which has been spent on equipment and improving facilities. It has also built up an adult team of 22 and provides training for some 30 youngsters. Members felt this to be a real success story as football in St Mawes had been in the doldrums for many years. Cllr. Williams proposed that the Parish Council purchases a new line marker for use at the pitch at Halwartha for the Gerrans and St Mawes United Football Club at a net cost of £385.00 in appreciation for the use of their football field as an overflow parking facility during the summer, and as a token of support for the Club. Seconded by Cllr. Salter. All in favour by a show of hands. Cllr. Giles abstained. RESOLVED by the Council.
- d) To consider the completion of Audit for year ended 31st March 2015
Grant Thornton has completed the annual return and reported that ‘on the basis of our review, in our opinion the information in the annual return is in accordance with proper practices and no matters have come to our attention giving cause for concern that relevant legislation and regulatory requirements have not been met’
The notice of the Completion of Audit will now be displayed for at least 14 days to enable a local Government Elector of the Parish to obtain, inspect or take a copy of the ‘Statement of Accounts and Auditor’s Certificate and report.
- e) To note the agreed quotation reduction of £1,125.33 from DA Giles for Car Park maintenance
It was noted that DA Giles had agreed to a reduction for the Car Park maintenance being carried out next year. The total price will therefore now be £30, 989.55 net.
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee and Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
To receive a report from the MRMC and RVCC
Cllr. Williams reported that the new website www.stmawesandtheroseland.co.uk is now up and running and the feedback from business companies who advertise with the RVC and other TICs has been very positive.
Cllr. Sadler explained that the Government is reducing its feed in tariff for solar panels in January 2016 by 87%. Action would need to be taken soon if the Parish Council still wants to go ahead with solar panels. Defer back to the Finance Committee.
- Car Park
To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|August-14||33, 063.45||115, 245.65||360.00||26, 980.10||142, 225.75|
|August-15||31, 162.40||114, 362.20||90.00||20, 214.80||134, 577.00|
|August 2015 comparable with August 2014|
|Down||-1, 901.05||-883.45||-270.00||-6, 765.30||-7, 648.75|
- St Just in Roseland Church Public Conveniences
To consider updates on St Just Church Public Conveniences
The Clerk has advised the Legal Teams that the Parish Council will not be proceeding with the take over of the Public Conveniences at St Just; therefore no lease needs to be drawn up. The Parish Council will continue with the ‘Tenancy at Will’ agreement for the time being.
- Parish Council Website
To further consider the proposals for the Parish Council Website
No further update received – work in progress
- Cleansing of the Parish
- a) To consider the feedback from the working group meeting held on 17th August 2015
Cllr. Williams outlined the report from the working group. The Clerk advised that Cory will now be collecting the recycling bins and tidying the area every other day. The option of an enforcement camera or a warning notice displayed would be extremely promising.
- b) To consider Cornwall Council’s waste Reduction Incentive Scheme Trial
Cllr. Williams reported, if the Parish Council wishes to participate in the trial, it needs to express an interest to be involved by 30th September and submit an application by 31st October 2015. The incentive scheme is a 12 month trial with only 6 councils participating chosen to encourage more recycling in their town or parish.
- Carols in the Castle – 19th December 2015 – it was agreed to hold this annual event and to defer the arrangements to the next Parish Council meeting
- Correspondence (information only)
- Staffing Matters – Nothing new to report. The next meeting is to be held on 23rd September.
The Clerk was presented with a bouquet of flowers to thank her for the milestone ten years in the role.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – no matters were put forward
- Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 5th October 2015 at the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.10pm
Signed as a true record………………………………………..Acting Chairman Cllr. K Warren
Date……5th October 2015……………………………………………………………………