Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes on Monday 7th April 2014. The meeting commenced at 7pm.
The Chairman Cllr. K. Warren, Cllrs. J. Benney, S. Black, B. Chenoweth, P. Farmiloe, R. Hall, R. Giles, B. Sadler, P. Salter, P Teague and C. Williams
S. Penhaligon (Clerk), T van der Wolde (Assistant Clerk), Cornwall Cllr. German, Jon Smith (RNP) and three members of the public
1. To accept apologies for absence
2. Declaration of Interest:
a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest– Cllr. B Sadler – item13b – proposed development at Little Newton, St Mawes
b) Non-Registerable Interest – Cllr. Giles and Cllr. Salter – item 15b – Idle Rocks (car park)
c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – none declared
d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – Cllr. Giles and Cllr. Salter on items regarding The Idle Rocks
3. Open Period – Public Participation
Crawford Rogers updated the Parish Council in relation to the shared ownership homes at Larkfield Rise. There has been much communication between the affected residents and Devon & Cornwall Housing Association regarding the structural defects of the properties. DCHA have finally written to these residents confirming that they will fulfil the arbitrator’s report and his findings, and will bring the properties back to acceptable conditions. They will also be compensating the families involved. The Parish Council thanked Crawford Rogers for his determined efforts in pursuing the matter with Cornwall Council & DCHA.
4. Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 3rd March 2014
The Clerk raised the amendment of item 10a, confirming that the cheques approved at the meeting of 3rd March should read as £6,699.70. The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands, that the previously circulated minutes of the 3rd March 2014 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
5. Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda
a) Barrier for sea defence in The Square, St Mawes
The Clerk is currently awaiting advice from Cornwall Council contacts and will chase this up.
b) General Cleansing in the parish – cleansing schedules from Churchill Contract Services; recycling collection data from Cory; options for reducing the amount of litter in the streets
The Clerk reported that this matter is in hand and that she is currently undertaking an audit of the waste bins lost or damaged in the recent storms which require replacing.
c) Waterloo House proposed closure
The Parish Council did not receive any official notice, however Waterloo House closed on 31st March 2014.
d) Clearance and cleansing of Bohella Store
Cllr. Giles advised that local tradesman were asked if they would like to undertake the works, but all have declined based on the conditions of the store and their own work commitments. The Parish Council will now look for a suitable company to undertake this work.
e) Replacement for the commemorative Beech Tree on Bohella Bank
The Clerk welcomed suggestions for a suitable replacement for the Beech Tree and informed that the Planning Officer had said that it should be replaced with either a Yew or a Beech Tree. The Parish Council thought these trees to be most unsuitable. Cllr. Williams suggested shrubs instead of a tree, that would be over-bearing.
6. Report from the Clerk
Contractor Glyn Tucker has sent photographs of the damage to the verges on Polvarth Road caused by the hooves of the cattle and has advised that he will not put a mower over it until it has been rolled. A letter and photograph of the damage has been sent the owner of the cattle, a local farmer.
Cormac has provided an updated report on damage to the heritage coast and when they intend to carry out repair works.
The Harbour Master has advised that St Mawes Harbour Co will be constructing a portable new office and lookout on the quay. Drawings of the construction can be viewed in his office and he confirmed that, under the the 1854 Act of Parliament, as this is a portable building, no planning permission is required.
St Mawes Harbour Co. has funded a finger post which will be installed on the Quay as a directional aid to people visiting the village.
Thompson Solicitors have requested correspondence and minutes regarding the accident in 2012 during the Roseland Triathlon.
7. Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
No report has been received.
8. Report from Cornwall Cllr. German
Cllr. German reported that two parking bays were put opposite the St Mawes Hotel many years ago, and only one bay has been reinstated following recent resurfacing works, therefore he will speak to Ben Dickenson from Highways to ensure both bays are reinstated.
He advised that Cornwall Council will be issuing an Affordable Housing Allocations Policy for public consultation and recommended that the Parish Council submit a response.
Land opposite 31 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes:
This application will be decided at a Cornwall Council Planning Committee Meeting on 14th April at 2pm and he would be speaking against the application.
9. Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
Cllr. Williams reported that the St Mawes Recreational Ground Committee held its AGM on 5th April. The committee thanked the Parish Council for paying for new gates and their yearly insurance premium. The facility is currently being upgraded and they plan to have an open day soon and will reveal the mosaic pathway that has been created by the community.
Cllr. Giles gave an update on Kennerly Terrace; work has started at no.6 and is progressing well. The vacant property has been filled by a local young family. This year will be the 100 year anniversary this year St Mawes Co-Partnership Housing Society and, as it has been such a successful housing model, it would be good to celebrate the occasion.
Cllr. Teague reported that St Just Institute was planning to level off the area in front of the kitchen window and put in a membrane and gravel. He reported that the roundabout at St Just Playing field has parts that are rotting and starting to break up. It will cost £4000 – £5000 to replace it and St Just Institute committee is looking into ways of raising the money.
The Chairman asked to suspend Standing Orders to bring forward item 12. All in favour.
12. Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan
Jon Smith Chairman of the RNDP Steering Group reported that the results of the questionnaire have been sent to residents in the Roseland. The steering group have started drafting policies for the plan & are aware that separate projects may be worked on alongside the Roseland Plan – for example Affordable Housing & Carbon reduction. Everything going into the plan will be what the community has said they want to see in the Roseland. The draft plan will be going out for a public six week consultation in due course.
Cllr. Warren asked that Standing Orders resume. All in favour.
10. Accounts and Finance
a) To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
Total cheques numbered 6396 to 6408 approved and signed at meeting £5,525.54 Total cheques numbered 6339 to 6347 paid since last meeting were ratified £7,853.60
Direct Debits/ Standing Orders shown as paid in March £ 323.52
Income shown as received during March £7,974.69
Approval of the payments of accounts proposed by Cllr. Salter. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
b) To consider a request for financial support from the Fal River Festival
Cllr. Giles proposed that the Parish Council donate £100 towards the costs of the Fal River Festival, seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
c) To consider the quotations for Summers Beach swing maintenance
Three quotations were considered for the replacement of barriers around the swing on Summers Beach. Cllr. Giles proposed that the Parish Council accept the quotation from Damcon UK of £1,295 net, seconded by Cllr. Chenoweth. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
d) To Note the Notice of the Annual Audit dates for year ending 31st March 2014.
It was noted that the date for the audit to be completed and sent to Grant Thornton is 16th June 2014. The date for the announcement of the audit to be advertised will be no later than 25th April.
e) To consider the Local Audit Accountability Act consultation
The Council agreed to await advice from CALC before responding to this consultation. Training by Grant Thornton regarding this Act is being organised by CALC on 29th April to which the Clerk, Assistant Clerk and Cllr. Hall from the finance committee will be attending.
The Clerk asked that it be noted that St Mawes Co-Partnership Housing Society Ltd has confirmed that the Parish Council owns 225 share holdings out of the total share holdings of 462. This matches the figure in the Parish Council’s fixed assets register.
a) To consider the meetings of the Planning Committee
No meeting was held in March.
b) The Council considered the following planning applications:
60. PA14/01029 Braganza, Grove Hill, St Mawes. Various tree works. Reviewed by Cllrs. Salter,Gilesand Benney. No objections.
61. PA14/01425 Sea Lanes, Penruan Lane. Works to Ash trees. Reviewed by Cllrs. Williams, Chenoweth and Salter. No objections.
- PA14/01906 Braes, Newton Road, St Mawes. Felling of a tree. Reviewed by Cllrs. Williams, Benney and Giles. No objections.
- PA14/02119 10 Buckeys Lane, St Mawes. Proposed utility extension on detached garage. Reviewed by Cllrs. Benney, Salter and Giles. Objection.
64. PA14/02296 Flat 4 Riviera Lane, St Mawes. Additional window and increase of size of existing window to the east elevation. Reviewed by Cllrs. Williams, Salter and Giles. No objections.
c) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
- PA14/01906 Braes, Newton Road, St Mawes. Felling of a tree. Withdrawn
- PA14/00523 Pasco’s Boatyard, St Just in Roseland. Replacement seawall, hardstanding and slipway. Approved.
- PA14/01363 Green Waters, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes. Proposed replacement windows, rebuilding of porch, enlargement of first floor hall window & new rainwater goods. Approved.
EN13/01784 Alleged change of use of helipad from casual to frequent. Land at Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes.
Other Planning matters
Penlee, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes from CAD Architects for a proposed boat store.
This has been passed to councillors for comment.
Clover Hill, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes from CAD Architects for a replacement dwelling.
Appeal decisions by Planning Inspectorate
APP/DO840/A/13/2204646 – PA13/03350 Land adjacent to Jasmine Cottage, St Just – Erection of detached dwelling & formation of access from the highway – appeal allowed
APP/D0840/A/13/2201991 – PA13/04373 17a Lower Castle Rd, St Mawes – Proposed erection of a dwelling with garage – appeal dismissed
e) To consider planning correspondence
A list of the planning correspondence was circulated
13. Affordable Housing Local Needs
a) To consider updates on Affordable Housing
b) To consider the Cornwall Homechoice and Landlord’s criteria the occupancy and size of properties
Cllr. German confirmed that Jon Warner, Homechoice Manager has agreed to meet with the Parish Council to discuss Homechoice and the current bidding and banding policy. Cllr. German agreed to follow this up and will arrange the meeting.
13b. Proposed Housing Developments in St Mawes and St Just in Roseland
a) To consider the updates on the proposed development in St Mawes
Cllr. Sadler left the meeting at this point.
The Parish Council discussed what strategic knowledge it would require to consider this proposed
development as it is something on a scale that it has never had to consider before. Terry Grove White
Assistant Head of Planning has agreed to meet with the Parish Council to discuss the Policy matters relating
to commercial development and large scale development in an AONB. Cllr. German agreed to follow this up
and arrange a meeting.
Cllr. Sadler returned to the meeting.
b) To consider updates on the proposed development at St Just
Planning and Regeneration has forwarded a copy of the comprehensive response from the Senior Planning
Officer (Affordable Housing) to the a pre-application enquiry by CSA Architects for the proposed
development of 18 dwellings at the Bowling Green, recommending that the applicants complete a viability
assessment and a Statement of Community Involvement with more focus on the community and Parish
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee (MRMC) Roseland Visitor Centre Committee (RVCC)
a) To consider the recommendations of the RVCC meeting held on 3rd April 2014
No recommendations were made at the meeting. Cllr. Williams commented that the Trade fair organised by the RVC was a huge success. Two new members will be joining the committee and they are Chris Insoll and Val Dunning. The new visitor information board at The Arcade is due to be erected next week and Cllr. German has agreed to officially open it at a later date to be agreed.
b) To consider the recommendations of the MRMC meeting held on 3rd April.
No resolutions or decisions were made at the meeting. Cllr. Williams advised that the screen projector has been used twice to great success, and it has been agreed that those hiring the Millennium Rooms that wish to use the projector will be charged an additional £5.
- Car Park
To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|March 2014 comparable with March 2013|
b) To consider the recommendations of the Car Park Committee meeting held on 31st March 2014 (Appendix 2)
Cllr. Giles proposed that noextra reserved parking spaces are made available at the present time. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
Cllr. Benney proposedthat the Parish Council makes no changes to the invoice addressed to the Idle Rocks Hotel to 31st March 2014. Seconded by Cllr. Teague. 3 abstentions, 9 in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
Cllr. Giles proposed that the Parish Council accept the net quotation of £700 from Henry Cooper to repair the potholes in the car park, seconded by Cllr. Salter. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
A quotation is being sought from DA Giles for relining parts of the car park. It was agreed to delegate a decision on the costs to the Car Park Committee.
The landslip on the boundary of Breganza was inspected and the CPC recommends that D Chenoweth moves the rubble and that Cormac is asked to survey the landslip and provide a report.
16. St Just in Roseland Church Public Conveniences
Claire Ottery the Cornwall Council’s legal representative will be meeting with the Environment Agency and Property Services to examine the options for the repair work to the septic tank and drainage field as part of the refurbishment programme. The Diocese is in agreement with getting rid of the old leases and creating a new, fit for purpose lease. The brief terms previously discussed were for a 30 year lease to the parish, at an annual rent of £10 and with break clauses every 10 years. The lease would be personal to the Parish Council and contain obligations on the parish to maintain and insure the building. The Chairman expressed some frustration at the length of time this has taken to progress.
- Request for business access to Summers and Tavern Beaches
To consider the request for access for a paddle boarding business
The Clerks Office received a request from Luke Bolsin to operate a business from Summers and Tavern beaches. He wants to deliver Stand Up Paddle lessons for up to six students at a time. The Harbour Master advised him that they are the authority responsible for all commercial waterborne activities within St Mawes Harbour and clarified the mooring areas and that both beaches were designated swimming areas and that the
Falmouth Ferry and Place Ferry have a designated fairway which must be avoided. It was agreed that Luke Bolsin be invited to discuss his request in person to the Parish Council.
- Correspondence (information only)
- Staffing Matters
The appraisals are going well and it has been a positive.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting
Consider a new Chairman.
22. Date of next meeting – The Annual Parish meeting will be held onMonday 12th May 2014 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 6.45pm, followed by the Annual meeting of the Parish Council.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.50pm
Signed as a true record………………………………………..Chairman