Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes on Monday 1st December 2014. The meeting commenced at 7pm.
The Chairman Cllr. K. Warren, Cllrs. J. Benney, S. Black, B. Chenoweth, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall,
- Sadler, P. Salter, and C. Williams
- Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk), Cornwall Cllr. German and J. Smith (RNP)
- To accept apologies for absence
- Penhaligon (Clerk) and Cllr P. Teague
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest– none declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – none declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – none declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – none received
- Open Period – Public Participation
No matters were raised
- To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on Monday 3rd November 2014
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the previously circulated minutes of the 3rd November 2014 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
- Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda
- a) Carols in the Castle – Cllr Williams volunteered to compeer this years’ event. Apologies were received from Cllr Warren as he was unable to attend.
- b) On-street parking enforcements – Collating the comments in hand at the Clerks Office
- c) St Just Playing Field/unrecorded rights of way – The first application has been sent to the Countryside Access Officer and the main application pack has been received. Enforcements are unable to take any action regarding the removal of the stile as it is on private land.
- d) Plan for revamp of Bohella Bank – Works to revamp the bank is due to start 9th
- e) Car Park Committee meeting – Deferred until after Christmas. By this stage the contractor’s plant should has been removed.
Archive outstanding matters
- a) Best Value of the cleansing service – This matter is on going, no updates to report.
- b) Options for reducing the amount of litter in the streets – This matter is on going, no updates to report.
- c) Cleansing of Bohella Store – Cllr B. Chenoweth suggested a local person who owns a mobile (petrol) power washer to cleanse the store, which would be needed to be carried out every 6 months. Cllr. Salter to enquire, on behalf of the Parish Council, if the Memorial Hall’s outside water tap could be used.
- Report from the Clerk
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
There was no report submitted
- Report from Cornwall Cllr. German
Cllr. German reported that the grants are going to be kept for next year in the Cornwall Council’s Budget and that grants are to be given to St Just Playing Field and the St Mawes Sailing Club (Juniors) this year.
There will be a 1.97% (capped) rise in Council Tax, and advised that at present there is no equivalent capping on the Parish Council Precept.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
No matters were raised
The Chairman requested that the Standing Orders be lifted to bring forward item 13. All in favour by a show of hands.
- Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan (RNP)
Jon Smith advised that the plans have been submitted to Natural England, but he expects the plans to be slightly re-drafted. Jon will receive a response from Natural England tomorrow (Tuesday). The documentation is finalized for submission and expect to submit to Cornwall Council this Friday 5th December or the following Monday 8th December.
Normal Standing Orders resumed.
- Changes to Precedents
- a) To approve the new Standing Orders for adoption at the January Parish Council meeting
Cllr. Warren proposed to adopt the new Standing Orders for adoption at the January meeting. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) To approve the new Financial Regulations for adoption at the January Parish Council meeting
Cllr. Hall proposed to adopt the new Financial Regulations for adoption at the January meeting. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
11a. Accounts and Finance
To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
Total cheques numbered 6608 to 6618 minus void cheque number 6608 to be
approved and signed at meeting 33,290.99 Total cheques numbered 6597 to 6607 paid since last meeting were ratified 21,484.55
Direct Debits/ Standing Orders shown as paid in November 5,802.47
Income shown as received during November 5,273.88
Cllr. Salter proposed approval of the payments of accounts as presented. Seconded by Cllr. Chenoweth. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) Finance Committee
To consider the recommendations from the finance Committee meeting held on 24th November 2014 (Appendix 2)
- i) To consider the first draft of the forecast for 2015/16
Cllr. Hall advised that the first draft forecasts have been formulated and circulated. These figures will be rolled forward unless significant changes in the Income and Expenditure arise.
Cornwall Cllr. German suggested that, within the next 18 months, the Finance Committee and Car Park Committee might have a meeting in reference to the negotiations on Car Park Lease.
- ii) To approve the Precept for 2015/16
The Precept was recommended to have a modest increase by 2%, which is under the RPI (retail price index) of 2.8%.
Cllr. Hall proposed to accept that the Precept is increased by 2%. Seconded by Cllr Black. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Planning – notes for the Parish Council meeting on the 1st December 2014
- a) To consider the meetings of the Planning Committee (Appendix 3)
To consider recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting held on 20th November 2014.
The Planning Committee meeting was primarily to consider the application number PA14/10130 in respect of Trecarrel St Just in Roseland. It was attended by 18 members of the public who all apposed the application. The Planning Committee apposed the planning application.
- b) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA14/10058 – Cove Cottage, The Square, St Mawes – proposed increase in width of existing first floor door and Juliet balcony – considered by Cllr. Benney, Giles and Farmiloe – no objection
- PA14/09135 – Lanzeague, St Just – alterations and extension to existing property – considered by Cllr. Teague, Sadler and Warren – objection. Revised plans – agreed to disagree
- PA14/10130 – Trecarrel, St Just in Roseland – replacement dwelling – considered by planning Committee – objection
- PA14/11071 – land opposite 31 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – the demolition and reconstruction of the existing garden room and residential annex – under consideration by Cllr. Chenoweth, Farmiloe and Salter
- PA14/11133 – Carricknath, 22 Pedn Moran, St Mawes – tree works in conservation area will be decided under delegated authority
- c) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
PA14/10213 – Ar Dowr, Trelawney Road, St Mawes (39) – proposed single storey extensions – Approved
PA14/0966 – Water Tower, St Mawes (37) – Application for determination of prior approval under Part 24 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development Order 4 1995) The installation of a 0.6m diameter transmission dish – Approved
PA14/06811 – Polvean, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes (31) – Erection of green house – Approved
PA14/09239 – Chapel House West, St Mawes (34) – proposed extension to form lightwell and alterations to fenestration – Approved with conditions
PA14/8810 – Messack Farm House, St Just in Roseland (36) – Timber clad rural workshop and stables within curtilage of farmhouse to replace barns and buildings previously demolished – Approved with conditions
Discharge of conditions
PA14/09231 – Clover Hill, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – Submission of details to discharge conditions 4, 5 and 7 in respect of planning decision PA14/04120 – S52/S106 and discharge of conditions apps
PA14/09674 – Ranch House, Grove Hill, St Mawes – Submission of details to discharge condition 6 in respect of decision notice PA134/04952 – S52/S106 and discharge of condition apps
PA14/07876 – Riverside Cottage, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland – submission of details to discharge condition 3 for application PA14/03168 (Listed building consent for alterations and extension to Riverside Cottage and outbuilding with a new annex to replace the existing garage) – S52/S106 and discharge of condition apps
PA14/09607 – Land adjacent to Polventon, St Just in Roseland (38) – erection of detached dwelling and formation of access from the highway (amended scheme previously approved PA13/03350) – withdrawn
- d) Enforcements – active
EN14/02035 – 1 Church Hill, St Mawes – unauthorised works to Listed Building
EN 14/02128 – Lowen Meadow, St Mawes – use of land for helicopter and motorcycle activity in excess of the 28 day rule.
- e) To consider planning correspondence.
Points noted were Representation of objection to PA14/1409/607, Land next to Polventon, St Just in Roseland by Mr and Mrs Teague
8 copies of objection letters received re PA14/10130 Trecarrell, St Just in Roseland
The Clerk has applied for the removal of dead and dying branches of the large Monterey Pine Tree in Commander Martins Corner under the 5 day rule.
Emails received regarding Lowen Meadow and usage in excess of the 28 day rule
- f) To consider proposed housing developments in the Parish
P Jennings has advised that Kier Living Developments will be getting in touch with the Parish Council regarding the proposed mixed housing development at Polvarth Road, St Mawes with Planning Consultant Ms. A Warwick acting for the land owners.
- g) To consider updates on Affordable Housing Local Needs
No matter was reported.
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee/Roseland Visitor Centre Committee (Appendix 4)
- a) To consider the recommendations from the MRMC meeting held of 12th November 2014
- b) To consider the recommendations from the RVCC meeting held of 12th November 2014
Cllr. Williams reported the MRMC and RVCC meetings are combining and will now be held bi-monthly and that she remains the chairman for both committees. She advised that the income for the Millennium Rooms had increased due to extra exhibitions and new classes. The Christmas Fair was very successful and earned money for the Millennium Rooms. Cllr. Williams thanked Dawn and Jenna for their hard work and enthusiasm through out the year. The Christmas Party is to be held on Friday 19th December at 1.00pm in the Millennium Rooms.
- Car Park
- a) To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Dis||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Nov -13||3, 128.10||153, 660.95||180.00||16, 084.80||169, 745.75|
|Nov-14||3, 159.45||153, 419.39||0.00||29, 290.10||182, 709.49|
|November 2014 comparable with November 2013|
|Up||31.35||13, 205.30||12, 963.74|
- St Just in Roseland Church Public Conveniences
To further consider the future financing of St Just Church Public Conveniences
A meeting of all concerned to agree a solution to this ongoing mater is planned on 12th December at 12 noon in the Millennium Rooms to be attended by Mark O’Brien (Community Network Manager), Jonny Alford (Estate Services Manager), Cllr. J German and Rev K. Boullier.
- Mobile Library Service
To further consider the future of the mobile library service
Cllr. German advised that the Mobile Library Service will be cut to monthly from March with just one stop in St. Mawes in The Square Car Park and one at the old Methodist Chapel in St Just in Roseland. The Micro Library is not on the agenda for the foreseeable future. Cllr Warren raised the possibility of utilising the Community Bus to bring people no longer on the route into the village so they could combine the library visit with shopping / visiting friends/ lunch etc..
- Speed of traffic in St Just Village
To consider the results of the speed checks undertaken during October.
Two separate surveys were carried out, one in St Just (The Institute) and one on Windmill Hill, outside Stanton House. The reports considered that the traffic travelling through St Just village was not significantly over the speed limit. However, on Windmill Hill, it also showed that on average over 50% of vehicles are travelling above the speed limit. To pursue this matter the Clerk will liaise with The Highways Manager to ask for a mobile speed warning sign/monitor to be installed for a trial period. This would provide traffic speed data to demonstrate the effectiveness of this traffic calming measure. The Parish Council would then be better placed to discuss funding options with Cornwall Council.
- Renewable Energy installations and grant funding
To consider making use of a grant to generate solar power renewable energy to the Millennium Rooms
A Consultant, who offers free advice, visited Thursday 27th November and surveyed the Millennium Rooms building and is to write a report giving options in about two weeks time, and also he is looking into the Rural Community Energy Fund for the Parish Council. Cornwall Cllr German advised the Parish Council would most probably get a better return installing any Solar Panels privately.
- Improvements to signage and traffic control measures in St Mawes village
To further consider improvements to signage and implement traffic control measures on the approach to St Mawes Village
Highways would need to look at the Parish’s local highway issues. Buckeys Lane area has been raised for signage. It was suggested to build up a reserve to deal with traffic issues in St Just in Roseland and Upper Castle Road speed limit reduction to 30mph. Cornwall Cllr German will liaise with the costing of the project.
- Barrier for a Sea Defence in The Square, St. Mawes
To consider the recommendations from Steve Blatchford, Coastal and Drainage Officer of Cormac Solutions following his site visit on 7th October.
The Harbour Master has been asked to contact the Environment Agency to further the idea of a break water. This is a major project and the problems of flooding/debris in The Square should come into this discussion, but this project may take years to come about. Separate to this a barrier across the entrance to Town Beach needs to be pursued. This will benefit the village by keeping the main access road clear, and save Cormac time and money not being called out to clear the debris from the road. Cllr German advised he would pursue this matter.
- Parish Council Website
To consider having the Parish Council’s own website
Cllrs were in agreement that a Parish Council website was a good idea but more information was needed. Names were suggested of website builders but first Cllrs would need to scope the project. Other Parish Councils had websites, and these could be reviewed to assist deliberations. The start up costs and ongoing maintenance would need to be considered and added to the forecast. Cllrs. Warren and Sadler are to consider this in the middle of January.
- Correspondence (information only)
- Staffing Matters
- a) To consider a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee – no report
- b) To consider Christmas Honorariums for Parish Council Employees
Cllr. Salter proposed that one-off honorariums totalling £1,110 be given to employees in recognition of their commitment, dedication and valuable service throughout the year. The honorarium awarded to the Clerk recognized this year’s exceptional circumstances. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting
- Date of next meeting
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 5th January 2014 at the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.40pm
Signed as a true record………AK Warren………………………………..
Cllr. A.K. Warren, Chairman of St Just in Roseland Parish Council
Date…5th January 2015