Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St. Mawes, on Monday 7th December 2015. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.
The Chairman Cllr. B. Chenoweth, Cllrs. J. Benney, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler, P. Salter, P. Teague and K. Warren.
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk) and 1 Member of the public.
- To accept apologies for absence – Apologies received from Cllr. S. Black, Cllr. C. Williams and Cornwall Cllr. J. German.
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation – No matters were raised
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 2nd November 2015
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 2nd November 2015 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. 1 abstention.
- Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda
- a) On-street parking enforcements – Nothing new to report
- b) Carols in the Castle – 19th December 2015 – Williams has volunteered to compeer this years’ event and a number of Councillors agreed to assist on Saturday and Sunday
- c) To reconsider the cleansing of Bohella Store – To be advertised in the Roseland Magazine
- Report from the Clerk.
The Clerk reported that congratulations should be sent to St. Mawes School PTA and St. Mawes Playgroup for all their hard work in holding their fabulous Christmas Fayre held at St. Mawes Castle.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
During November the Police were called to the parish 4 times. 1 crime was recorded.
- Report from Cornwall Cllr. German
Apologies for absence received from Cornwall Cllr. J. German. No report was provided.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
St. Mawes Co-Partnership Housing Society – The Clerk reported that the mortgage funds have finally been received from the Charity Bank after thirteen months of negotiations.
St. Mawes Carnival Committee – Cllr. Farmiloe reported that the Committee have given out £6,000 to eleven local causes.
Community Land Trust – Cllr. Giles reported that the AGM will be held on Wednesday 9th December at 7pm in the St. Just institute.
Percuil River Moorings – Cllr. Sadler reported there was a meeting held last week and she would like to emphasis how hard local people work on keeping Committee going.
10a. Accounts and Finance
- i) To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The total cheques numbered 6892 to 6906 were approved and signed at the
meeting less void cheque number 6899 £ 5,916.35
The total cheques paid since last meeting 6889 to 6891 were ratified £ 561.80
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in November £13,438.55
Salaries paid by FPO and transfers 1st December 2015 £ 3,603.54
Income shown as received during November £ 6,379.74
Approval of the payments of accounts were proposed by Cllr. Sadler. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- ii) To approve annual funding to the Roseland Neighbourhood Plan
Cllr. Salter proposed to approve the request for a contribution of £190 towards the annual administering costs
of the Roseland Plan, estimated at £564.00. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour by a show of
hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
10b. Finance Committee (FC) (Appendix 2)
To consider the report and recommendations from the Finance Committee meeting held on 30th November 2015
The Chairman of the Finance Committee, Cllr. Hall presented the recommendations and report for approval.
(8) Donation to St Mawes School PTA and St Mawes and St Just Playgroup. The FC approved a contribution of £100 towards the hire of the St Mawes Castle for their Christmas Fayre as it would be of benefit to the community, plus a further £50 as a thank you to the schoolchildren for taking part in the Carols in the Castle event.
(9) Forecasts for 2016/17 – the first drafts were considered. Cllr. Hall advised that there were a number of adjustments to be made which will be presented at the next meeting. Cllr. Hall agreed to look into the proposed increase in Car Park charges to evaluate the amount of additional revenue this may generate.
(10) Three year budget – this will be adjusted in line with the one year forecast
(11) Precept – The Finance Committee recommended to the Parish Council that the Precept is raised by a modest 2% from £20,400 to £20,808 for 2016/17.
Cllr. Hall proposed to adopt the recommendation that the Precept is raised by a modest 2% to £20,808 for 2016/17. Seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
It was noted that the Council Tax Support Grant funding for 2016/17 will be £498.06 (£659 this year).
It was noted that Churchill Service Solution charges will increase by 1.9% (rate of RPI) on 1st January 2016.
- a) To consider decisions and recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting held on 30th November 2015 (Appendix 3)
Planning applications considered at the Planning Committee meeting:
- a) PA15/09338 – building plot adj to Angarrick House, Chapel Close, St Just in Roseland (33)
proposed revised scheme of approved dwelling – the matters raised in the current application was discussed with the applicant. The applicant is to present a new plan for consideration.
- b) PA15/10117 – Watersmeet, Polvarth Road, St Mawes (43) – alterations and extensions to existing dwelling with balcony to SW and SE elevation – the planning committee supported the application on condition that all the current screening of the site remains.
- c) PA15/10398 – Sea Craig, 4 Carrick Way, St Mawes (46) – proposed construction of a replacement dwelling house with integral garage and residential amenity space – The planning committee took into consideration that there has been a reduction in height in the revised plans presented but opposed the development.
- d) PA15/10608 – Penolva, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (47) – proposed projecting terrace and balcony – the planning committee supported the application on condition that the summer house remains as a part of the main building.
- b) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA15/10003 – 3 Waterloo Close, St Mawes – proposed first floor extension, porch extensions and alterations to fenestration – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Benney and Salter – no objection
- PA15/09847 – Sunnybanks, Trelawney Road, St Mawes – proposed first floor extension to create bedroom and ensuite and construction of balcony – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – no objection
- PA15/09625 – Cove Cottage, the Square, St Mawes – replacement of an existing 1st floor Juliet balcony with a wider more practical stand out/on balcony to suit opening of bi-fold doors which are 2820 wide. This is to the 1st floor (top floor) of a 1960’s cottage which has a flat roof (and is therefore the floor immediately under the flat roof – the accommodation is reverse level, with the living accommodation on the first floor i.e. upstairs) The cottage is raised and this balcony is at the rear of the cottage and overlooks the small car park of the Idle Rocks Hotel – considered by Benney, Chenoweth and Farmiloe – objection
- PA15/08827 – Land adj. to Greenwaters, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes – erection of dwelling and garage/boathouse – considered by planning committee – no objections in principle
- PA15/10435 – Tregorland, St Just in Roseland – proposed replacement slate roof covering and structure rebuilding of external walls to detached garage – considered by Cllrs. Sadler, Teague and Warren – no objection
- PA15/10236 – Land south of St Just Church Car park – retention of tea hut building and facilities – considered by Cllr. Giles, Teague and Sadler (Cllr. Warren declared a non registerable interest) – no objection
- PA15/10697 – Crab Pot Cottage, Trelawney Road, St Mawes – replace roof velux with dormer window – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Chenoweth and Giles – no objection
- PA15/10790 – September Cottage, Commercial Road, St Mawes – rear bay window with
balcony and window alterations – under considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Farmiloe and Salter – no objection
- PA15/10644 – Heatherdown, Polvarth Road, St Mawes – proposed demolition of existing
three bedroom dwelling and replace with new four bedroom dwelling similar position on site –
considered at the Parish Council meeting – Cllr. Warren proposed that the Parish Council is
unable to support the plan in its current format, seconded by Cllr. Giles, all in favour.
RESOLVED by the Council
- PA15/11103 – Riviera Gardens, Riviera Lane, St Mawes – application for tree works to cut
down as part of a replanting scheme of the west side of the garden. The tree is a chamorcyparis
lawsoniana – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Farmiloe and Salter – no objection if it is
supported by the Tree Officer
- PA15/08711 – Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes – Certificate of Lawfulness for the
continued use of land for setting down and taking off of helicopters – The applicant put in a vast array of new evidence in support of his case. The new decision deadline is 17th December.
- c) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
PA15/08737 – Penolva, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (27) – Proposed conversion of part of
detached garage to annexe with juliette balcony on South East elevation, to provide ancillary accommodation to main house – approved with conditions
PA15/10003 – 3 Waterloo Close, St Mawes (28) – proposed first floor extension, porch extensions and alterations to fenestration – approved with conditions
PA15/09847 – Sunnybanks, Trelawney Road, St Mawes (29) – proposed first floor extension to create bedroom and ensuite and construction of balcony – approved with conditions
PA15/09268 – Nearwater, Polvarth Road, St Mawes (31) – proposed single storey rear extension – under consideration by Cllr. Benney, Farmiloe and Chenoweth – approved with conditions
PA15/09334 – Deep Dene, Penruan Lane, St Mawes (32) – extension and erection of glazed covered area over balcony and swimming pool in garden – approved with conditions
PA15/09288 – Carrick Waters, St Just in Roseland (39) – erection of replacement dwelling – non- material amendment to PA14/12231 to allow existing levels to retained – not acceptable as amendment
Discharge of condition apps S52/S10649
- PA15/10806 – Land adjacent to Green Waters, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes – discharge of conditions 2 and 3 in respect of decision notice PA12/08942
- d) Enforcements
Active EN14/02128 – Lowen Meadow, St Mawes – use of land for helicopter and motorcycle activity in excess of the 28 day rule – see planning application
- e) To consider planning correspondence – the correspondence was noted
11b. Affordable Housing
To consider updates on Affordable Housing matter – Nothing new to report
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee/Roseland Visitor Centre Committee (Appendix 4)
- a) To consider the report and recommendations from the meetings held on 11th November 2015
No recommendations received.
- b) To approve the Roseland Visitor Centre Risk Assessment year ending 31st March 2016
- c) To approve the Millennium Rooms Building Risk Assessment year ending 31st March 2016
Cllr. Sadler proposed to approve item (b) the Roseland Visitor Centre Risk Assessment, and item (c) the Millennium Rooms Building Risk Assessment for the year ending 31st March 2016. Seconded by Cllr. Benney. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Car Park
- a) To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|November 2015 comparable November 2014|
- b) To consider the report and recommendations from the Car Park Committee (CPC) meeting held on 23rd November 2015 (Appendix 5)
(6) Parking Charges
Cllr. Giles as Chairman of the Car Park Committee reported that, after much deliberation and taking in to consideration the essential car park maintenance required at a cost of over £30,000 which would greatly reduce the Parish Council’s reserves, the CP committee recommended that the parking charges are increased from 1st April 2016, the first increase for three years as, adding that it is normal that charges are only raised three yearly:
1 hour from £1.00 to £1.50
2 hours from £2.00 to £2.50
4 hours at £3.50 (a new charge)
1 day from £3.50 to £5.00
Night to remain at £1.00
Weekly charge from £25.00 to £30.00
Reserved space from £210 to £230
Annual permits from £90 to £100
Cllr. Giles proposed to approve the new charges recommended by the Car park Committee with the exception of the one hour charge which is to remain at £1. Seconded by Cllr. Teague. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
(9) On and Off Street Parking Order and Service Level agreement – Due to the documentation not being received from Cornwall Council, it was agreed that a joint extraordinary meeting of the Car Park Committee and the Finance Committee is held on 11th December to consider the new Parking Order before the deadline on that day.
- Parish Council Website (Appendix 6)
To further consider the proposals for the Parish Council Website
Cllr. Warren reported that the domain name www.stjustinroselandpc.com has now been purchased. After much discussion Cllrs. Warren and Sadler have agreed to design and set up the site. Screen draft templates were circulated at the meeting for design approval which received positive feedback. To date the Home page, together with draft templates for Planning, Personnel and the Contact page have been set up. Councillors agreed to their own photograph being displayed on the website. Any Councillor who has any great digital photographs of the parish/events to display on the website should forward to Cllr. Sadler.
- Cleansing of the Parish
- a) To consider the feedback from the working group
The Incentive Scheme application has been the main focus so far.
- b) To note the application for Cornwall Council’s Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme Trial
The application has been submitted and a copy circulated to Councillor’s. The decision date, by Cornwall Council is 10th December.
- c) To further consider additional clearance of weeds in the parish
The Clerk has spoken with the Cleansing Operative about the removal of weeds. It is too large a task for him to undertake. It was suggested that the Clerk approached Mikel Fletcher and asked his opinion on this.
- Cornwall Council Local Devolution Fund
To consider any assets or services that may be of interest to the parish
Defer to the next Parish Council meeting.
- Fixed Schedule of Parish Council Committee meetings
To consider formulating a fixed schedule of committee meetings
Defer to the next Parish Council meeting.
- Correspondence (information only)
- Staffing Matters (Appendix 7)
- a) To receive a report from the Personnel Committee meeting held on 21st October 2015
Nothing to report
- b) To approve the Travelling and Subsistence Allowance Policy and Procedure
Cllr. Sadler proposed to approve the Travelling and Subsistence Allowance Policy and Procedure for adoption at the next Parish council meeting. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
The Clerk and Assistant Clerk left the meeting at this point.
- c) To consider Christmas Honorariums for Parish Council employees
Cllr. Giles proposed that one-off honorariums totalling £1,125.00 be given to employees in recognition of their commitment, dedication and valuable service throughout the year. Seconded by Cllr. Salter. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – No items put forward
- Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 11th January 2016 at the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.45pm
Signed as a true record………………………………………..Chairman Cllr. B Chenoweth
Date……11th January 2016……..