Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St. Mawes, on Monday 6th February 2017. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm
The Chairman Cllr. B. Chenoweth, Cllrs. J. Benney, S. Black, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler,
- Salter, P. Teague, K. Warren and C. Williams.
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk) Cornwall Cllr. J. German & 6 members of the public
- To accept apologies for absence – no apologies received
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – Cllr. Giles item 12a. iib) 1 Polvarth Estate, St. Mawes
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – Teague and Warren have valid dispensations on matters concerning St Just Institute.
- Open Period – Public Participation
Mr Mackie reported that St Just Car Park was officially passed from Cornwall Council to St Just Precocial Church Council and the keys to the money box handed over.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 9th January 2017
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 9th January 2017 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
- Matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda – for report only
- a) Parish Council website – Assistant Clerk has had no time to work on the website
- b) Cleansing of the Parish & Cornwall’s Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme
A meeting has been held with the Churchill Contract Services New Manager, who is making up new schedules of works.
- Report from the Clerk
The Clerk reported that the owner of the first property in Waterloo Close, St. Mawes, has offered to revitalize and clear the shrubs on the main road.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – No report received
- Report from Cornwall Councillor
Cornwall Cllr. German reported that the information regarding the proposal to collect mixed plastic recycling will be going out in March and hopefully start 1st April 2017.
Cornwall Cllr. German also reported that 1 property has arose on Homechoice, for Harbour View, St Just in Roseland, which he suggested should be allocated to someone local considering the problems with the last three tenants.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr. Williams reported that changes are being made.
Cllr. Williams also reported that there have been communications from Brittany who have gone ahead and booked 5 trips from Brittany across to St. Mawes/Falmouth over the summer, each trip taking up to 12 children who will be spending 4-5 days exploring the area. It is hoped that local children will also be able to make a trip to Brittany.
St. Mawes Co Partnership Housing Society – Cllr Teague reported that a very successful meeting had been held with members of the society, based on the finances.
AGENDA ITEMS (for decision and discussion)
The Chairman asked to suspend Standing Orders to bring forward item 12a) iib and allow discussion with members of the public. All in favour by a show of hands.
iib) Pre-planning advice
- PA17/00101/PREAPP – Trevennel, St Mawes – pre-application advice for the formation of helicopter landing pad and access road – considered by Planning Committee prior to this meeting
Mrs Miles and Mr Pearce both raised a number of concerns.
Normal standing orders resumed
The Parish Council agreed to respond to Cornwall Planning stating that it has strong concerns regarding the application and could not look at it favourably with the information provided and to raise the following issues: Frequency and hours of flying, disturbance to livestock, fumes and noise pollution, overhead pylons, prevailing SW winds and changeable weather condition.
10a. Accounts and Finance (Appendix 1)
To consider Income and Expenditure for January and approve the payments of accounts
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The total cheques numbered 7111 to 7122 (7113 void) were approved £ 6, 750.87
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in January £16, 472.68
Salaries for January paid by FPO and transfers 1st February 2017 £ 3, 788.28
Cheque payments paid since the last meeting £ 150.00
Income shown as received during January £12, 732.55
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr. Warren. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
10b. Finance Committee
To consider a report from the Finance Committee meeting held on 16th January 2017
Cllr. Hall, Chairman of the Finance Committee, reported that there will be an extra £5,313.00 in the accounts which will be reflected with a correction. Cllr. Hall also reported that the Finance Committee has agreed to terminate the Scribe accounting system and are currently seeking an alternative.
- i) To consider gifting the play equipment purchased from Cormac Ltd on 5th September 2016 to St Just
in Roseland Institute
Cllr. Giles proposed that the Parish Council gift the play equipment purchased from Cormac Ltd to St.
Just in Roseland Institute before the end of this financial year. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour. 2
Abstentions Cllrs. Teague and Warren). RESOLVED by the Council
- ii) To further consider the closure of Lloyds Bank on 6th
Lloyds have confirmed that there will be a mobile facility for 1.25 hours each Tuesday in to which
the Parish Council can bank up to £5,000 per visit. As this is not sufficient for the Parish Council’s
needs it was referred to the Finance Committee for consideration.
11a. Car Park (Appendix 2)
- i) To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Jan-16||2, 034.60||156, 820.40||1, 950.00||24, 690.80||181, 511.20|
|Jan-17||2, 540.40||180, 517.96||1, 950.00||27, 144.00||207, 661.96|
|Jan 2017 comparable with||Jan 2016|
|Up||505.80||23, 697.56||0.00||2, 453.20||26, 150.76|
Including £109.00 gross on card payments
11b. St Mawes Car Park Lease
To consider starting negotiating a new lease immediately with Cornwall Council on the same terms as the current one which is due to expire in April 2019
Cllr. Salter proposed that the Parish Council start negotiations for a new lease for St Mawes Car Park immediately with Cornwall Council, on the same terms as the current one. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
12a. Planning (continued)
- To consider decisions and recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting – no
iia) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA16/10542 – Sunnyside, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland – change of use of land to residential curtilage and construction of domestic store – considered by Cllrs. Sadler, Teague and Warren – under 5 day rule – agreed to disagree
67/68. PA16/11708 and PA16/11709 (Listed Building) – Methodist Church, Chapel Terrace, St Mawes – Listed Building and planning consent for proposed conversion of first floor redundant Sunday school rooms to residential unit and associated works to ground floor ancillary chapel function room below – considered by the planning committee – no objection on condition that the restoration is supported by the Listed Building Officer. Concerns about the state of the garages and parking whilst works are being carried out
- PA16/11928 – St Mawes Castle, Castle Drive, St Mawes – sewage pump station and pipe extension to the main network – under consideration by Cllr. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – no objection
- PA16/11410 – West Warren, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – erection of new 1.8m high vertical planked feather board, wood garden boundary fence – under consideration by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – no objection in principle but will be guided by the Listed Building Officer as to its suitability
- PA17/00766 – Polvarth Estate, St Mawes – erection of single dwelling unit – considered at this meeting – no objection in principle due to the exceptional circumstances
iii To note the decisions of the Planning Authority:
PA16/09910 – Bryher Cottage, 4 St Austell Row, St Mawes (55) – alterations and extension involving replacing an existing two storey extension. Outbuilding: alterations and replacement roof – approved with conditions
PA16/10664 – Pasco’s Boatyard, land at junction A3078 (57) – advertisement consent in respect of the repositioning of a company logo sign showing direction arrow – approved with conditions
PA16/10542 – Sunnyside, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland (59) – change of use of land to residential curtilage and construction of domestic store – approved with conditions
- PA16/11550 – Heron Creek, Tredenham Road, St Mawes (61) – proposed boat deck and slip infill – approved with conditions
- iv) Enforcements
OPEN – EN16/00842 – 4A Bohella Road, St Mawes – alleged works not built in accordance with the approved plans PA15/11175 – A compliance visit has taken place and the home owner has agreed to undertake the works in accordance with the approved plan.
EN16/02210 – Agricultural building at Trethem Farm House, St Just in Roseland – alleged non-compliance with condition 3 of PA11/02110 – course of action agreed
EN17/00063 – Chamnery Fair, Trelawney Road, St Mawes – alleged development not being carried out in accordance with approved plans PA16/06646; namely existing drive replaced with a wider drive – course of action agreed
Discharge of conditions
The Annexe, Idle Rocks Hotel, St Mawes – Submission of details to discharge condition 3 in respect of Listed Building Decision Notice PA16/02863 dated 26th May 2016 – discharged
- vi) To consider planning correspondence – no matter raised
12b. Affordable Housing
- To consider updates from the Roseland Community Land Trust
Cllr. Giles reported that the CLT has a website www.roselandplan.org
- To consider the proposal from the St. Mawes Self Build Group
Cllr. Giles reported that the group had a successful meeting with the CLT who will help in any way they can but the problem is that there is no land available. Cllr. Chenoweth advised that the Self-Build group had a meeting with Cllr. German and himself to learn more about how the CLT would work as they felt that they did not receive sufficient information from the first meeting.
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee & Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
To receive a report – no report given, next meeting held is on Monday 20th February
- The installation of new on-street parking restrictions and speed reduction on Upper Castle
Road, St. Mawes – To consider the update on the plans from Cormac Ltd
The invoice from Cormac Solutions for the design fee of £6,547.00 net has been paid to enable the process to commence. The blind corner outside Pilots Cottage, Lower Castle Road has also been added to the plans.
- Town and Parish Council Elections 4th May 2017
To consider the procedure and preparations for the election
The Clerk attended a training session on elections, presented by CALC, and has been advised of the following: Someone on the electoral register, living in St Just can stand as a Councillor for the St. Mawes ward and vice versa; multiple members of the same family can stand for election; a sibling of the Clerk can stand for election.
The meeting of the electorate (Annual Parish meeting) will need to take place on Monday 3rd April 2017 as there will be a change of Council on Monday 8th May, when the previous Councillors cease to be members and the new Councillors take up office. This will mean the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council should be moved to the following week, Monday 15th May.
- Barclays ATM in St Mawes
To consider alternative sites for Barclays ATM
David Podd of Barclays has advised that they are looking for a new site for its ATM due to the problems experienced with sea water at the branch on Marine Parade. The RVC was suggested. A meeting is to be arranged with the bank to discuss the available options further.
- Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
To consider the update on the Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
A Public Meeting is to be held on Monday 13th February, at St Just in Roseland Institute to discuss the closure and future of the centre with representatives from Cornwall Council.
- Amendments to Standing Orders
To consider the new model Standing Order 13 which combines S/O’s 13 & 14 and now covers Code of Conduct, complaints under the Code of Conduct and Dispensations
- Include the changes in the next review in May 2017
- Implement the change now
Cllr. Hall proposed to suspend the relevant standing order permanently and replace it with the new text numbered Q. Seconded by Cllr. Salter. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- Notice of an application for registration based on adverse possession – land lying to the East of Grove Hill, St. Mawes
- To consider a response to the application
The Clerk reported that a letter opposing the application was sent to the Land Registry on 1st
February. Cornwall Council has advised that it is also opposing the application.
- To consider applying to Cornwall Council to devolve the land to the Parish Council
A letter requesting for Cornwall Council to consider devolving the land to the Parish Council has been sent to Mark O’Brien.
- 20. Correspondence (information only) – no matters were raised
The Clerk and the Assistant Clerk left the meeting at this point (9.20pm)
- Staffing Matters
To receive a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee – No report was given
Following the resolution of the Parish Council at its meeting on 1st August 2016, Cllr Warren reported on meetings that had taken place between the Personnel Committee and the Clerk. In view of these discussions, the Personnel Committee made the following recommendations:
- a) That the Clerk is paid for an additional 3.5 hours per week, with effect from 1st February 2017.
Proposed by Cllr Williams. Seconded by Cllr Black. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) That the Clerk is paid for an additional 3.5 hours per week, backdated to 1st August 2016.
Proposed by Cllr Chenoweth. Seconded by Cllr Warren. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
Both resolutions supersede that made at the 1st August meeting under points b) and c) of Item 18. Staffing Matters a).
The subject of the Assistant Clerk undertaking any extra hours, as resolved at the 1st August meeting under point a) of Item 18. Staffing Matters a), was discussed. The Assistant Clerk had only been informally approached regarding this and it was agreed that the Personnel Committee should further discuss the matter with her.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – No items were put forward
- Date of next meeting – The Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 6th March
2017 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 10pm
Signed as a true record……………………………Chairman Cllr. B Chenoweth
Date…………………….6th March 2017