St Just in Roseland Parish Council Minutes – July 2014

Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Memorial Hall, St Mawes on Monday 7th July 2014. The meeting commenced at 7pm.

 

Councillors Present:

The Chairman Cllr. K. Warren, Cllrs. J. Benney, B. Chenoweth, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler, P. Salter, P. Teague, and C. Williams

 

Also Present:

S. Penhaligon (Clerk), T van der Wolde (Assistant Clerk), Cornwall Cllr. German, Jon Smith (RNP) and John Andrew

 

1. To accept apologies for absence – Cllr. Black

 

2. Declaration of Interest:

a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest– none declared

b) Non-Registerable Interest – none declared

c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – none declared

d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – none

 

* Cllr. Sadler asked it to be noted that she no longer has a Disclosable pecuniary interest in land at Little Newton, St Mawes.

 

3. Open Period – Public Participation

Jon Smith chairman of the Roseland Plan reported that the consultation on the draft local plan will start one week later than anticipated. Therefore the six week consultation will begin on 4th August. Jon said he found it very useful to meet with members of the Parish Council and discuss the draft policies and feedback has been incorporated. He is still meeting with Planning Officers and the AONB Unit and honing and refining planning policies, as all policies have to be in conformity with the Local Plan. There will be an exhibition of the Roseland Plan at the Gerrans Memorial Hall on 26th August.

 

John Andrew Manager of St Mawes Community Fire Station reported on the co-responder scheme a pilot project started in 2010 now formally adopted as a continual service. He commended the team for all the work and effort that goes into being available on call, and responding to the emergency calls. Adding that, as the team are local lads, it can be very difficult to attend life threatening situations especially when dealing with fatalities. It is to the credit of all involved that last year they responded to 162 call outs, 31% was dealt within 8 minutes. As the Roseland is 30 minutes away from most Ambulance Services, the co-responder scheme is without doubt an incredibly valuable service.

 

John Andrew in his capacity as Chairman of the Falmouth Working Boat Association also wanted to thank the Pier Harbour Company who does a lot of work for the Championship at no cost to the Association. The event brings a great deal of revenue to St Mawes village, and the Association are very grateful for the help and assistance given by the Pier Harbour Company.

 

4. To confirm the minutes of the Annual meeting of the Parish Council held on Monday 2nd June 2014

Some typing amendments were made. The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the previously circulated minutes of the 2nd June 2014 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

 

5. Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda

a) Standing Orders – the Clerk has this in hand.

b) Financial Regulations – the Clerk has this in hand.

Archive outstanding matters

c) Replacement for the commemorative Beech tree on Bohella Bank

The Clerk is waiting for advice from Nicola Bush and Luke Dunstone.

d) Barrier for sea defence in The Square, St Mawes

The Clerk is awaiting a meeting with Steve Schotel from Cornwall Council and the Harbour Master.

 

 

6. Report from the Clerk

The Clerk reported that the Assistant Clerk has tendered her resignation and thanked her for her two years service. The Bohella Store has been cleansed at a net cost of £817. Churchill Cleaning Services manager has ordered a portable disinfectant spray machine for the operative to use regularly to clean the store so that it won’t fall into such a state again.

 

7. Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary

The Police were called to the area six times.

 

8. Report from Cornwall Cllr. German

Cllr. German thanked St Mawes community Fire Station for their excellent work and the effort and time it takes to deliver such an effective co-responder scheme. He reported that the Hub Radio will go live at the end of July on 106.4fm. He believes that this will be really good for community engagement and dialogue. He confirmed that Cornwall Council has received over 200 million worth of investments, which has been most welcome, however, these funds are for specific projects and therefore will not impact on the budget cuts to frontline services.

 

9. Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees

St Mawes Recreation Ground – Cllr. Williams reported that the recreation ground open afternoon on 5th July was really well attended. MP Sarah Newton opened the revamped play equipment the mosaic pathway, a community mosaics initiative which is a unique way of enhancing the Park.

 

St Mawes Carnival – Cllr. Farmiloe reported that the St Mawes Carnival begins on Monday 4th August and ends on 9th August. There will be lots of fun things going on.

 

St Just Institute – Cllr. Teague reported that there will be a fun weekend on 25th to 28th July which will include a teddy bears picnic.

 

10a. Accounts and Finance

1) To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)

The Council was asked to approve the following payments:

Total cheques numbered 6478 to 6505 approved and signed at meeting                                       £ 8,891.51     Total cheques numbered 6468 to 6477 paid since last meeting were ratified                      £ 6,525.20

Direct Debits/ Standing Orders shown as paid in June                                                     £ 2,018.39

Income shown as received during June                                                                             £28,940.74

 

Approval of the payments of accounts proposed by Cllr. Giles. Seconded by Cllr. Salter. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

 

2) To consider the request for financial support from St Mawes Carnival Committee

Cllr. Giles proposed that the Parish Council fund the provision of the services of St John Ambulance a net cost of £175 to support the Carnival under s137 of the Local Government Act 1972. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. 1 abstention, 9 in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

 

It was agreed that the Finance Committee would consider the following items:

3) The Cornwall Council new scheme to give local councils greater return on their money and Cornwall Council Community led local development leader

4) A response to the Local Audit Regulations Audit consultation

 

10b)     Finance Committee

To consider the recommendations from the Finance Committee meeting held on 11th June 2014

No recommendations were made.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11. Planning

a)         To consider the meetings of the Planning Committee

A public meeting was held in St Just Institute on 4th June to discuss PA14/03614, the proposed development at the rear of the Bowling Green. This was followed by a Planning Committee meeting where there was an objection to the application on the grounds there was no public support.

 

A planning committee meeting was held on 9th June to discuss a pre-application for three terraced

houses atBraze, Grove Hill, St Mawes. The Planning Committee recommended that the proposal be reduced to two terraced houses instead of three.

 

PA14/04146 Carrick Waters, St Just in Roseland, erection of replacement dwelling was

discussed and the Planning Committee recommended objection to the application on the grounds that it would cause a detrimental impact to the AONB.

 

b)         The Council considered the following planning applications:

 

11.     PA14/03614 Land Rear of the Bowling Green, St Just in Roseland – 18 dwellings. Reviewed by Planning Committee. Objection.

 

12.       PA14/04775 29 Tredenham Rd, St Mawes. Proposed double garage. Reviewed by Cllrs. Farmiloe, Salter and Giles. No objections.

 

13.       PA14/04669 Treyorath, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes. Proposed extension/alterations & erection of

double garage/workshop with store over. Reviewed by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Benney and Giles. Objection

 

14.       PA14/04676 15 Tredenham Road, St Mawes. Proposed internal alterations, loft conversion with new dormers & rooflight windows. Reviewed by Cllrs. Farmiloe, Salter and Giles. No objections.

 

15.       PA14/04757 Little Polvarth, Polvarth Road, St Mawes. Proposed attached double garage, demolish and rebuild outbuildings, reduce ground levels and widen entrance drive. Reviewed by Cllrs. Giles, Benney and Chenoweth. No objections.

 

16.     PA14/05009 Tregrehan, 8 Newton Park, St Mawes. Porch extension and roof alterations. Reviewed by Cllrs. Salter, Giles and Benney. No objections.

 

  1.      PA14/05367 Green Waters, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes. Proposed extension and loft conversion,

dormers on the front elevation along with balcony on side elevation. Reviewed by Cllrs. Farmiloe,

Salter and Giles. No objections.

 

c)       To note the decisions of the Planning Authority

 

PA14/03680 22 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes. Loft conversion to form ‘owners accommodation’ extra

  1. Approved.

 

PA14/03210 10 Marine Parade, St Mawes. Proposed extension to dwelling. Withdrawn.

 

PA14/04120 Clover Hill, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes. Demolition of existing single storey dwelling

and detached garage and construction of replacement two storey dwelling and detached garage. Approved.

 

PA14/04146 Carrick Waters, St Just in Roseland. Erection of a replacement dwelling. Refused.

 

PA14/04610 The Moorings, 32 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes. Renewal of Planning Consent

PA11/08503 for summerhouse. Approved.

 

PA14/04757 Little Polvarth, Polvarth Road, St Mawes. Proposed attached double garage, demolish

and rebuild outbuildings, reduce ground levels and widen entrance drive. Approved.

 

 

PA14/05009 Tregrehan, 8 Newton Park, St Mawes. Porch extension and roof alterations. Approved.

 

d)         Enforcements

Ongoing –

EN13/01784 Alleged change of use of helipad from casual to frequent. Land at Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes.

 

12. Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan

Following on from Jon Smith’s comments during Public Participation, no further comments were made.

 

13a. Affordable Housing Local Needs

To consider updates on affordable housing

No updates to report. The Clerks office has responded to the Home Choice Consultation. A meeting will be arranged with Jon Warner, Homechoice Manager when the results of the consultation have been analysed.

 

13b. Proposed Housing Developments in St Just in Roseland and St Mawes

a) To consider updates on the proposed development in St Mawes

No updates to report.

 

b) To consider updates on the proposed development behind the Bowling Green, St Just in Roseland

Awaiting the decision of the Planning Officer.

 

14a. Millennium Rooms Management Committee (MRMC)

To consider the recommendations from the MRMC meeting held on 3rd July

No recommendations were made.

 

14. Roseland Visitor Centre

To consider the recommendations from the RVCC meeting held on 3rd July 2014    

Cllr. Williams advised of two recommendations. One is a staffing matter and will come later in the agenda under staffing matters. The other recommendation is to re-organise the advertising on the RVC window display and put up an additional display board in front of the Millennium Rooms. Cllr. Giles proposed additional window displays and an extra display board in front of the Millennium Rooms building, seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

 

  1. Car Park

To consider the monthly income

  Pay & Display Pay & Display   Permits Permits Total
  Monthly Cumulative Monthly Cumulative Cumulative
June -13 22,948.80 52,857.30 810.00 15,094.80 67,952.10
June -14 22,453.10 53,692.05 5,160.00 26,440.10 80,132.15
June 2014 comparable with June 2013      
Up   834.75 4,350.00 11,345.30 12,180.05
Down -495.70        

 

b) To consider the recommendations of the Car Park Committee meeting held on 11th June 2014

The Car Park Committee has approved the risk assessment for the additional parking at the football field and the Clerk is liaising with Visit Cornwall on the working document for the event. The Clerk has enquired if a CEO can be available for the Tall Ships regatta. Cornwall Council is checking availability.

 

16. St Just in Roseland Church Public Conveniences

To further consider the future financing of St Just Church Public Conveniences

The clerk advised that she is awaiting a meeting with all concerned to move this matter forward.

 

17. Cleansing for the Parish of St Just in Roseland

a) To consider looking into the best value service for the cleansing of the parish

It was agreed that the Finance Committee would look into this.

 

 

 

b) To consider options for reducing the amount of litter in the streets

It was agreed Cllr. Williams and Cllr. Farmiloe would look into this.

 

c) To consider the cleansing schedules from Churchill Contract Services

It was agreed that the Finance Committee would look into this.

 

d) To consider recycling collection data from Cory

The Clerk reported that collection is supposed to be once a week, however sometimes it is full and people are dumping it beside the bins. It was agreed that the Cleansing Operative should continue to report to the Clerks Office when the bins are almost full so that it can be reported to Cory.

 

18. St Mawes Community Fire Service    

To consider the report from John Andrew, Station Manager regarding the future of the Co-responder scheme

Following on from John Andrew’s comments during Public Participation, no further comments were made.

 

19. Roseland GP Surgeries

To consider the reduction in the opening times of the surgery in St Mawes.

It was agreed that the Clerk write a letter to the Surgery expressing the Parish Council’s regret that there has been cuts to the service and reduced hours as it has been a valued service to this community for many years.

 

20. Mobile Library Service

Cllr. German recently attended an advisory committee regarding the mobile library service who were in favour of making savings by having a reduced service, but were in support of keeping the service going. It will come to cabinet for a final decision on 30th July. It was agreed that the Clerk will write a letter saying that the mobile library is a valuable and long standing service that is well used, the model proposed benefits those without access to independent travel, rather than cut the service, the alternative seems so practical, a reduction from a fortnightly service to a monthly service, and is supported by St Just in Roseland Parish Council as it seems the most straight forward way of continuing this beneficial service.

 

21. Western Greyhound Bus Service

To consider the reduction in the 550 service to Truro

The 550 service has been reduced and the last bus leaving St Mawes to Truro is 3.30pm, and the last bus leaving St Mawes at 5.30pm only goes as far as Tregony. It was agreed that the Clerk write to Western Greyhound and express disappointment at the lack of service.

 

22. Weed spraying in the Parish

To consider the practicalities of the weed spraying contract in the Parish

 

Cllr. Farmiloe reported a resident’s complaint that her plants had been killed by the weed spraying, and the Clerk had written to apologise.  Another resident had complained to Cllr. Farmiloe that dead weeds in the Bohella Road area had not been removed some time after dying.  Apart from the fact that the road is too narrow for the mechanical sweeper, Cllr. Farmiloe thought it very unlikely that it was capable of removing weeds as they need to be pulled out, and this applies throughout the village.

 

The Clerk informed the meeting that 12 cubic metres of weed and debris had been picked up by South West Sweepers this year, three cubic metres more than for the same period last year.

 

The Clerk advised that the contract was due for renewal next year and suggested that all practicalities are looked at prior to advertising the contract.

 

23. Correspondence (information only)

 

24. Staffing Matters

Cllr. Williams proposed that the 1 year temporary contract for the Roseland Visitor Centre Assistant should be made into a permanent contract from 1st September and that it should be upgraded to an Assistant manager position as Jenna Foster been a huge asset to the Visitor Centre, bringing new skills, fresh ideas, and drawing in people. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

 

25. Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting

No matter was put forward.

 

  1. Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Monday 4th August in the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm

 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 10pm

 

 

 

 

Signed as a true record………………………………………..Chairman

 

Date……………………………………………………………

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*