Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St. Mawes, on Monday 6th March 2017. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm
The Chairman Cllr. B. Chenoweth, Cllrs. J. Benney, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler, P. Salter,
- Teague and K. Warren.
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk) Cornwall Cllr. J. German & 4 members of the public
- To accept apologies for absence – Cllrs. Black and Williams
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation
Mr. J. Smith spoke in connection to the Roseland Plan Transition Strategy meeting held in January and reported that, by the end of 2017, after a 2-year review flagged in The Plan, the Steering Group will probably dissolve itself. At the same time, the Management Team will stand down.
Mr. A. Chantrill raised an issue in respect of a formal complaint with Cornwall Council regarding the request for a CLEUD at Lowen Meadow, St Mawes.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 6th February 2017
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 6th February 2017 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
- Matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda – for report only
- a) Parish Council website – The Assistant Clerk has requested some training as she only had 10 minutes with Russell previously.
- b) Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme – Nothing to report
- c) Notice of an application for registration based on adverse possession – land lying to the East of Grove Hill, St. Mawes and the application to Cornwall Council to devolve the land to the Parish Council – Nothing to report
- d) Amendment’s to Standing Orders – The new model Standing Order 13 which combines SOs 13 & 14 and now covers Code of Conduct, complaints under the Code of Conduct and Dispensations Nothing to report
- e) Renewal of St. Mawes Car Park Lease with Cornwall Council – Ongoing
- Report from the Clerk – The Clerk reported that Conrad Birnie has planted two Monterey Pine siblings in the Snicket above Summers Beach grown from seeds taken from the trees next door. He has shielded them with barriers and the grass cutters have been informed.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – The Police have been called to the Parish 11 times during February, and 2 crimes have been recorded.
- Report from Cornwall Councillor – Cornwall Cllr. German had nothing to report
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
St. Mawes Football Club – Cllr. Giles reported that the Club now rent the field next door to the football pitch, from the National Trust, which will be extremely useful for training night.
AGENDA ITEMS (for decision and discussion)
10a. Accounts and Finance (Appendix 1)
To consider Income and Expenditure for February and approve the payments of accounts
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The total cheques numbered 7123 to 7130 (7127 & 7129 void) were approved £ 4, 430.65
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in February £ 1, 049.67
Salaries for February paid by FPO and transfers 1st March 2017 £ 3, 800.43
Cheque payments paid since the last meeting £ 0.00
Income shown as received during February £ 5, 841.55
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr. Sadler. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
10b. Finance Committee (Appendix 3)
To consider a report from the Finance Committee meeting held on 27th February 2017
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) for the CEO Service 2017/18
Cllr. Hall, Chairman of the Finance Committee, reported that the Finance Committee had recommended that no changes were needed to be made to the SLA.
Cllr. Salter proposed no changes to be made to the current SLA. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour by a show of hands apart from 1 abstention. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Omega Accounting System
The Finance Committee recommended to purchase the Omega Accounting System at an initial cost
of £1,185. Ongoing costs will be for Annual Support and Maintenance Single User Licence – £240 per annum. The Assistant Clerk will require additional hours to set up the system.
Cllr. Hall proposed that the Parish Council purchase the Omega Accounting System at an initial cost of £1,185 and the Assistant Clerk to be paid for additional hours to set it up. Seconded by Cllr. Salter. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council
- Lloyds Bank Closure 6th March – proposal to employ the Services of G4S
The Finance Committee recommended that the Parish Council employs the services of G4S once a week for an initial one year period.
Cllr. Hall proposed that the Parish Council employs the services of G4S, for a once a week service initially on a 12-month contract. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour by a show of hands.RESOLVED by a show of hands.
- Car Park (Appendix 2)
To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Feb-16||2, 678.85||159, 499.25||0.00||24, 690.80||184, 190.05|
|Feb-17||3, 680.50||184, 198.46||15.00||27, 159.00||211, 357.46|
|Feb 2017 comparable with||Feb 2016|
|Up||1, 001.65||24, 699.21||15.00||2, 468.20||27, 167.41|
Including £199.00 gross on card payments
12a. Planning – notes for the Parish Council meeting on the 6th March 2017
- To consider decisions and recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting held on 1s
March 2017 (Appendix 4)
A public meeting regarding PA17/01075 was held at St Just Institute prior to the Planning Committee meeting attended by over 60 people, all who voted to object to the application with one abstention.
- a) PA17/01075 – Field adjoining workshop at Trethewell Workshops, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland, TR2 5JE – Temporary use of land for landing/take-off and parking of a helicopter for a period between 1st March and 31st October 2017 (Limited to 35 take-offs and landings during daylight hours) – opposed
- b) PA17/01038– The White House, 1 Buckeys Lane, St Mawes, TR2 5AP – Construction of a detached dwelling and garage – opposed
- ii) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA17/99585 – The Byre, Newton Road, St Mawes – proposed extension and alterations with the inclusion of a terrace at first floor – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – no objection
- PA17/01021 – Sunnyside, Trethewell, St Just – proposed extension and alterations to provide first floor with dormer windows and Juliet balcony. New detached garage – considered by the Planning Committee (not Cllr. Farmiloe), Cllrs. Salter and Teague – objections to garage
- PA17/01071 – 2 Sea View Road, St Mawes – the replacement of an existing front bay window and creation of a new first floor balcony above – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Benney and Giles – no objections
- PA17/01075 – Land adjacent to Trethewell Workshops, St Just in Roseland – temporary use of land for the landing/taking off and parking of a helicopter for the period between 1st March and 31st October 2017 (limited to 35 take offs and landings during daylight hours) – considered by the Planning Committee, Cllrs Sadler and Teague and at the Planning Committee meeting – objection
- PA17/01038 – The White House, 1 Buckeys Lane, St Mawes – construction of a detached dwelling house and garage – under consideration by Planning Committee and at the Planning Committee meeting – objection
- PA17/01243 – Hotel Tresanton, St Mawes – removal of Cherry Tree and Fig Tree both growing out/into retaining wall. No plans to replace – considered by Cllrs. Farmiloe, Salter and Benney – no objections
- PA17/01442 – 6 Bohella Road, St Mawes – dormer window and Juliet balcony – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Salter and Giles – no objections
- PA17/01671- Downholm, Tredenham Road, St Mawes – proposed conservatory extension on rear elevation – under consideration by Cllrs. Benney, Salter and Giles
- PA17/01453 – Riviera Gardens, Riviera Lane, St Mawes – extensions and alterations to existing dwelling – under consideration by the Planning Committee
- PA16/11410 – West Warren, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – erection of fence – Agreed to disagree
Certificate of Lawfulness
- PA17/016169 – River in Roseland, Tredenham Road, St Mawes – Certificate of Lawfulness for proposed development for the construction of summer house/orangery building, indoor swimming pool and single storey rear extension.
- BT Telephone Exchange, Polvarth Road, St Mawes – installation of equipment/new mast for Vodafone Ltd – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Chenoweth, Farmiloe and Salter (Cllr. Giles declared an interest) – no objections
Appeals in progress:
PA17/00017 – PA15/11338 APP/00840/W/16/3158468 – Tregenna, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes- demolition of existing bungalow and garage and construction of new dwelling
PA17/00042 – Sea Craig, 4 Carrick Way, St Mawes– proposed construction of a replacement dwelling house with separate garage and residential amenity space
iii) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority:
PA17/99585 – The Byre, Newton Road, St Mawes (72) – proposed extension and alterations with the inclusion of a terrace at first floor – approved with conditions
PA17/00794 – Lawful Development Certificate for proposed alterations and repair to western boundary wall – Pendlehaven, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – granted
- iv) Enforcements
EN16/00842 – 4A Bohella Road, St Mawes – alleged works not built in accordance with the approved plans PA15/11175; A compliance visit has taken place – course of action agreed
EN16/02210 – Agricultural building at Trethem Farm House, St Just in Roseland – alleged non-compliance with condition 3 of PA11/02110 – course of action agreed
EN17/00063 – Chamnery Fair, Trelawney Road, St Mawes – alleged development not being carried out in accordance with approved plans PA16/06646; namely existing drive replaced with a wider drive – course of action agreed
- vi) To consider planning correspondence
12b. Affordable Housing
- To consider updates from the Roseland Community Land Trust
Cllr. Giles reported that no meeting has been held and meetings will now take place quarterly.
- To further consider the proposal from the St. Mawes Self Build Group – Nothing to report
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee & Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
To receive a report from the meeting held on Monday 20th February (Appendix 5)
Cllr. Sadler reported that no recommendations were made, and that the Map & Guide have been returned from the printers and are ready to distribute. A new computer has been purchased for the RVC. Cllr. Sadler thanked the deputy, Caroline for all her hard work due to the Manager being off poorly.
- The installation of new on-street parking restrictions and speed reduction on Upper Castle
Road, St. Mawes – The Clerk attended a meeting with the surveyor who will be completing the designs – Ongoing progress
- Town and Parish Council Elections 4th May 2017
To further consider the procedure and preparations for the election
Cornwall Cllr. German has kindly agreed to pick up the election packs from New County Hall.
The date for publication of notice of election is Monday 20th March 2017 and the deadline for individual submission of nomination papers is 4pm on 4th April.
- Barclays ATM in St Mawes
To further consider alternative sites for Barclays ATM
The Clerk and Cllr. Chenoweth attended a meeting today with Barclays Bank. The sea water causes many costly issues with the current situation of the ATM so Barclays Bank are looking for an alternative site. The Car Park area is thought to be the most suitable location. Barclays Bank would pay for all expenses occurred for the installation and would manage the ATM once installed. The Parish Council agreed to actively seek an alternative site for the ATM on a 5-year minimum contract with Barclays Bank.
- Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
To consider the update on the Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
A Public meeting was held on Monday 13th February attended with about 40 residents. Representatives from Cornwall Council and the Outdoor Education were in attendance. A steering group is being formed to consider the best option for the centre and a meeting will take place shortly.
- Cleansing contract with Churchill Contract Services
To consider the working practice and the contract
The new Manager is dealing with a complaint about work practice and making out new work schedules. Churchill Contract Services has advised of a 4.17% increase from 1st April 2017 due to the increase in the Living Wage which goes up by 30p an hour to £7.50.
- Trading on Summers Beach, St. Mawes
To consider the request from Luke Bolsin to continue his paddle board business on Summers Beach
Cllr. Giles proposed to accept the request from Luke Bolsin to continue his paddle board business on Summers Beach again this season. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Designated parking spaces for the GP Surgery in Lower Hillhead, St. Mawes
To consider the restrictions on the designated parking spaces
Parking Services has advised the Surgery that they must pay £25 for each permit to park in the reserved 2 bays. This was deemed not to be a Parish Council matter. The Cormac Ltd surveyor has agreed to organise for the lines depicting the parking area to be repainted.
- Devolution Grant paid towards the St. Mawes Public Conveniences
To consider feedback to the Devolution Team on how the grant has been of benefit
The Truro & Roseland Network Panel meeting is to be held on Tuesday 14th March and are offering the opportunity to attend to update Panel Members on how the Local Devolution Grant allocation of £8,000 has helped with the devolution of St Mawes Public Conveniences. It was decided that the Parish Council writes a letter of gratitude explaining how helpful the Grant has been.
- 22. Correspondence (Appendix 6) (information only) – no matters were raised
- Staffing Matters
To receive a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee – No report was given
The Clerk thanked the Pairish Council for the increase in her paid hours from 22 to 25.5 hours per week.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – No items were put forward
- Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 3rd April
2017 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes immediately following the Annual Parish Meeting which commences at 6.45pm
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.55pm
Signed as a true record……………………………Acting Chairman Cllr. B Sadler
Date…………………….3rd April 2017