Minutes of the Annual Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes on Monday 15th May 2017. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.
Councillors Present: Cllrs. B. Chenoweth, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, S. Goldsmith, B. Sadler, P. Teague, C. Thornton-Par, K. Warren and C. Williams.
Also Present: S. Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk), Cornwall Cllr. German and 1 member of the public
The retiring Chairman, Cllr. B. Chenoweth introduced the meeting and spoke of his thanks to Members and Clerks for their support over the last six years. Cllr. Sadler thanked Cllr. Chenoweth, on behalf of the Parish Council, for all his hard work, well above the call of duty. Cllr. Chenoweth then left the meeting.
- Election of Chairman
Cllr. Warren proposed that Cllr. Sadler is elected as Chairman. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council. Cllr. Sadler accepted the position and advised that she wished to be addressed as Madam Chairman.
Cllr. Sadler welcomed the two new members, Cllr. S. Goldsmith and Cllr. C. Thornton-Parr to their first meeting.
- To accept apologies for absence – Cllrs. Hall and Salter
- Election of Vice Chairman
Cllr. Sadler proposed that Cllr. Giles is elected as Vice Chairman. Seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council. Cllr. Giles accepted the position of Vice Chairman.
- Election of Committee Representatives (Appendix 3)
The positions of Sub Committee representatives were partly filled and it was agreed to complete the positions when there is a full Council.
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – Cllrs. Teague and Warren have new dispensations in place on matters regarding St Just Institute
- Open Period – Public Participation
Mr Baylis reported that Cllr. Salter has suffered a heart attack and is awaiting a triple heart bypass in Derriford Hospital. The Parish Council has sent good wishes and a card to Cllr. Salter.
Cornwall Cllr German advised that he was unable to stay for the duration of the meeting. He said that he was humbled by the results of the election when he was re-elected as the Divisional Member for the Roseland, and that his main priority would be around local housing needs and to continue to work with community groups and to support the fire station and co-responder service.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd April 2017
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 3rd April 2017 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. 2 abstentions.
- Matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda – for report only
- a) Parish Council website – More input is required
- b) Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme – Nothing to report
- c) Notice of an application for registration based on adverse possession – land lying to the East of Grove Hill, St. Mawes and the application to Cornwall Council to devolve the land to the Parish Council – Cornwall Council is currently dealing with this matter
- d) Renewal of St. Mawes Car Park Lease with Cornwall Council – Currently with Cornwall Council
- e) Cleansing Contract with Churchill Contract Services – Churchill Contract Services new Manager’s input appears to be effective
- Report from the Clerk – The Clerk reported that St Just Public Conveniences are to be repainted by a charitable person, free of charge. The Parish Council has agreed to fund portaloos to be sited in the car park for one week, at a cost of £110, whilst the work is taking place.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – In March, the Police were called to the Parish 7 times, 5 crimes were recorded. In April, the Police were called 7 times to the Parish, 1 crime was reported.
- Report from Cornwall Councillor – brief report given in the open period
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees – St Mawes Heritage Group – Cllr. Williams reported that the top two floors have now been cleared in Brenda Pye’s property to enable the group to claim dispensation on the Council Tax.
AGENDA ITEMS (for decision and discussion)
13a i) Accounts and Finance (Appendix 1)
To consider Income and Expenditure for April and approve the payments of accounts
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The total cheques numbered 7146 to 7161 were approved (less void cheque 7149) £ 8, 388.45
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in April £12, 023.05
Salaries for April paid by FPO and transfers on 2nd May 2017 £ 4, 063.89
Cheque payments paid since the last meeting £ 200.10 Income shown as received during April £55, 047.94
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr. Giles. Seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- ii) To consider the quotation from AON Insurance to commence 1st June 2017
Cllr. Warren proposed to accept the quotation from AON Insurance for £1,910.81 including 12% Insurance Premium Tax of £204.73 for a three-year contract. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
iii) To consider the request from St Just Institute for financial support regarding its Insurance
Cllr. Giles proposed to approve the funding of the Aon UK annual insurance premium of £455.84 under section 19 of the Local Government Act 1976 as the Parish Council owns the Playing Field which is managed on a day to day basis by the St Just Institute. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. Cllrs. Warren and Teague abstained. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- iv) To further consider the 12% increase in the Business Rates for 2017-2018 –
The Assistant Clerk has contacted the Valuation Office Agency, who have advised of the correct procedure for appealing against the 12% price increase in the business rates on St. Mawes Car Park.
13b. Finance Committee (Appendix 2)
To consider a report and recommendations from the Finance Committee meeting held on 3rd May
In the absence of Cllr. Hall, the Finance Committee Chairman, the Clerk reported that the Finance Committee had recommended that the Parish Council approves of the following documents:
- i) Annual Audit for the year ended 31st March 2017 (Appendix 3 a, b, c, d)
- a) The Income & Expenditure for year ended 31st March 20 17
- b) The Balance Sheet as at 31st March 2017
- c) The Supporting Statement for year ended 31st March 2017
- d) The Fixed Assets for year ended 31st March 2017
- e) The Annual Audit as presented for submission to Bennett Jones & Co.
Cllr. Warren proposed approval of items 13ib) a, b, c, & d as presented and of item 13ib) e, that the Annual Audit be submitted to Bennett Jones & Co for auditing, seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- To receive an update on the Rialtas Omega Accounting System
The Assistant Clerk has had training sessions with Omega on inputting data and support in setting up the system to enable her to start inputting the income and expenditure.
- To receive an update on the Lloyds Bank closure and the service contract with G4S
The service provided by the Lloyds Bank Mobile facility is not appropriate for the Parish Council’s requirements. The Contract has been signed with the G4S Service, but the Risk Assessments and documentation is still to be completed. A new safe has been purchased to store additional coinage.
- To adopt the Internal Audit Policies and Procedures with no changes (Appendix 4)
Cllr. Warren proposed to adopt the unchanged Internal Audit Policies and Procedures. Seconded by
Cllr. Williams. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Statutes, Constitutions and Procedures
- a) To review the Financial Regulations adopted 7th July 2015 and adopt unchanged at the Parish Council meeting held on 9th May 2016
Cllr. Giles proposed to approve for adoption the unchanged Financial Regulations adopted on 7th July 2015. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- b) To review the Standing Orders adopted 1st June 2015 to include the changes regarding the Code of Conduct implemented at the Parish Council meeting held on 6th February 2017 – The Clerk is working with CALC on the amendments to the Standing Orders. Defer to next meeting
- c) To review the Code of Conduct adopted at the Parish Council Meeting held on 6th June 2016
Cllr. Giles proposed to approve for adoption the unchanged Code of Conduct adopted at the Parish Council meeting held on 6th June 2016. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- d) To approve the updated Computer Usage Policy and Procedure
Cllr. Warren proposed to approve and adopt the unchanged Computer Usage Policy and Procedure. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- Car Park (Appendix 2)
To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|April 2017 comparable with||April 2016|
Including £2,371.20 gross on card payments
- To consider decisions and recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting held on 3rd
The Clerk reported on the decisions of the Planning Committee meeting held on 3rd May:
- PA17/01453 – Riviera Gardens, Riviera Lane, St Mawes – extensions and alterations to existing dwelling – support
- PA17/03394 – Gull House, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – construction of a replacement dwelling and detached car port and store – objection
- PA1701194PREAPP – land adjacent to Porth View, St Mawes – pre-application advice for 100% affordable Housing – support in principle
- The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA17/08079 – The Mount, 10 Gibraltar Terrace, St Mawes variation of condition 2 of approved plan PA14/07134 – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – no objection
- PA17/03605 – Summers, 4 Pedn Moran, St Mawes – non-material amendment to amend glazing elements within the ground floor and first floor southwest facing elevation in respect of decision PA16/06248 – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – objection
- PA17/03544 – Trevennel, St Mawes – single storey replacement rear porch extension including covered area – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – no objection
- PA17/03802 – Penrill, St Just in Roseland – the provision of a new vehicular access and the erection of a new two storeys detached dwelling within the garden of existing dwelling – under consideration by Planning Committee, Cllrs. Sadler and P Teague
- PA17/03713 – Saben, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – retrospective application for the
installation of an air source heat pump and omission of oil tank – under consideration by
Cllrs Chenoweth, Giles and Salter
- PA17/03713 – Saben, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – variation of condition 2
(approved plans) and removal of condition 3 (privacy screening) in respect of decision
notice PA14/06101 – under consideration by Cllrs Chenoweth, Giles and Salter
- PA17/01194 – Tregear Vean, St Mawes – change of use from existing overspill
domestic static caravan to holiday – under consideration by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and
Salter and the Planning Committee
- PA17/01205PREAPP – BT Polvarth Road, St Mawes – replacement of existing 12.5m communication pole with 15.m communication pole and installation of antennas and ground bases apparatus – no objection
- PA17/01202PREAPP – Land adjacent to Moonfleet, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes – dividing plot into 2 plots with 2 detached houses with integral garage wings – to be considered by the Planning Committee
Certificate of Lawfulness
- PA17/02908 – River in Roseland, Tredenham Road, St Mawes – Lawful development certificate for proposed construction of summer house/orangery building, indoor swimming pool and single storey rear extension
Appeal in progress – PA17/00042 – Sea Craig, 4 Carrick Way, St Mawes– proposed construction of a replacement dwelling house with separate garage and residential amenity space
Appeal closed – PA17/00017 – PA15/11338 APP/00840/W/16/3158468 – Tregenna, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes demolition of existing bungalow and garage and construction of new dwelling – appeal dismissed
iii) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority:
PA17/01021 – Sunnyside, Trethewell, St Just (74)– proposed extension and alterations to
provide first floor with dormer windows and Juliet balcony. New detached garage – approved with conditions
PA17/01840 – Palm Cottage, 23 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (84) – proposed loft
conversion and rear extension with the inclusion of a dormer window on both the north
and south elevations – approved with conditions
PA17/00766 – 1 Polvarth Estate, St Mawes (73) – erection of single storey dwelling unit –
PA17/01959 – Penperth Farm, St Just (85)- proposed change of use of an existing storage barn into a farm shop/café – withdrawn
Discharge of Conditions
PA17/03157 Manor Cottage, 1 Kings Road, St Mawes – discharge of condition 4 in respect of decision PA14/12136 dated 02.03.15 – pending consideration
PA17/011408 Trecarrel – Access to Carrick Waters, St Just in Roseland – submission of details to discharge conditions 3,4,5 and 6 in respect of decision notice PA14/11362 (allowed on appeal) – discharged
- iv) Enforcements OPEN
EN16/00842 – 4A Bohella Road, St Mawes – alleged works not built in accordance with the approved plans PA15/11175; A compliance visit has taken place – course of action agreed
EN16/02210 – Agricultural building at Trethem Farm House, St Just in Roseland – alleged non-compliance with condition 3 of PA11/02110 – course of action agreed
EN17/00745 – Penperth Cottage, St Just in Roseland – alleged unauthorised change of use from youth hostel to B and B, also construction of various wooden buildings
- vi) To consider planning correspondence considered with no issues raised
16b. Affordable Housing
- To consider updates from the Roseland Community Land Trust (CLT)
Cllr. Giles reported that, currently, the CLT are meeting once a month and that a survey is being taken on a field entrance by the Fire Station into Porth View, St. Mawes. Small steps but on-going.
- To further consider the proposal from the St. Mawes Self Build Group – On-going
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee & Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
To receive a report – No meeting has been held
- The installation of new on-street parking restrictions and speed reduction on Upper Castle
Road, St. Mawes – To further consider the plans from Cormac Ltd
Cormac Ltd has advised that the consultation will take place in May. If there are no objections and it is straightforward, Cormac Ltd will be looking to issue the construction package in July and the works programme is normally within 12 weeks.
Cllr. Sadler proposed to ask for quotes for relining outside Downholm in Tredenham Road, St Mawes where the lines have worn away. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- Barclays ATM in St Mawes
To further consider alternative sites for Barclays ATM – Defer to next Car Park Committee
- Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
To consider the update on the Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
Cllr. Warren gave an update on the progress so far. The centre is to be called Roseland Community Activity Centre. The working group is working hard to produce a business plan to submit to Cornwall Council which needs funding, however, there are many large hurdles to get over.
- St Mawes Primary School
To further consider the future of Governor’s representation on the Aspire Academy Trust
The Council considered the recent correspondence from The Aspire Group CEO, the Headmistress of St Mawes School, Mrs J. Baylis and Mr Miles Carden. Cllr. Williams proposed that a letter is sent, apologising for any misunderstanding, and reaffirming the Parish Council’s views and to show support for the school. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- Memorial Benches
To consider the applications for memorial benches and the refurbishment of the existing ones
Cllr. Sadler proposed that an estimate is requested from D Chenoweth for assessing and refurbishing the memorial seats which have fungus growing on them. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- Flower tubs in St Mawes
To consider the refurbishment of the seven flower tubs
The Clerk advised that the 7 flower tubs are looking very untidy as the plants are overgrown and are not tidied between plantings. The Council agreed to ask for 3 quotations to empty the tubs of bulbs and soil and to refill with new soil and lower maintenance plants to be maintained between plantings.
- 24. Correspondence (information only) considered, no issues raised
- Staffing Matters
- a) To receive a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee meeting held on 5th April 2017 – update received from Cllr. Farmiloe with no recommendations.
- b) To consider the staffing of the Roseland Visitor Centre during periods of illness
The Roseland Visitor Centre Manager has been on sick leave for several weeks and the Council has been advised to refer her to Cornwall Council’s Occupational Health for advice.
Cllr. Sadler proposed that the Parish Council authorize the spending of £300 to refer the RVC
Manager to Occupational Health for an independent review of her health and to assess the likelihood
of her returning to work. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
The Council considered how the RVC is managed during the period of the Manager’s absence.
Cllr. Sadler proposed:
- That the Assistant RVC Manager be awarded an honorarium of xxx, with the Parish Council’s
grateful thanks for the additional work and responsibilities she has taken on from February to the end
of April, in the Manager’s absence.
- That from 1st May 2017 – in recognition of the long-term absence of the Manager – the Assistant
RVC Manager be allocated 16 hours a week at the same pay scale as the Manager (instead of her own usual hours/salary) to carry out the additional duties and responsibilities of the Manager’s role for a period of up to three months. Also, that, in the letter explaining the above, it needs to be made clear that, if at any time, she feels she needs more hours, to carry out the additional duties, then she needs to contact the Clerk or her Committee Chairman, Cllr Sadler. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – no matters put forward
- Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on Monday 5th June 2017 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.45pm
Signed as a true record……………………………Chairman Cllr. B. Sadler
Date………………………………… 5th June 2017