Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St. Mawes, on Monday 5th October 2015. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.
The Acting Chairman K. Warren, J. Benney, S. Black, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, B. Sadler, P. Teague and
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk), Jon Smith (RNP) and 3 Members of the public.
In the absence of the Chairman and the Vice Chairman the meeting was chaired by the previous Chairman.
- To accept apologies for absence
The Chairman Cllr. B. Chenoweth, Vice Chairman Cllr. Sadler, Cllr. Salter and Cornwall Cllr. J. German
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation
Mr Baylis, Treasurer of St Mawes Memorial Hall advised that the 5 year lease with The Bohella Bar is up for renewal. The procedure has altered requiring 2 signatures from Parish Councillors.
Mr. C. Pridmore, Chairman of St Mawes Recreation Ground thanked the Parish Council for its support towards the upkeep of the park and Mrs. D. Croft; Treasurer requested that the Parish Council considers funding the annual Insurance due shortly.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 7th September 2015
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 7th September 2015 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. 3 abstained.
- Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda
Improvements to signage and traffic control measures in St Mawes village/On-street parking enforcement – Nothing to
- Report from the Clerk
The Clerk reported that the CEO Service reverted to winter hours on 1st October.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
During July and August the Police were called to the Parish 19 times, and 9 crimes have been recorded.
- Report from Cornwall Cllr. German
Apologies for absence received from Cornwall Cllr. J. German. No report was provided.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
St. Mawes County Primary School – Cllr. Black reported that there is some elements effecting the decision as whether the school will join the Multi Academy Trust with other schools in the Roseland.
St. Just in Roseland Institute Committee – Cllr. Teague reported that takings from the forthcoming film show are to be donated to the Refugee Crisis.
St Just and St Mawes Heritage Group – Cllr. Farmiloe reported that the group will be holding a St Mawes Day celebration on November 18th in the Millennium Rooms.
The Chairman asked to suspend Standing Orders to bring forward item 13. All in favour by a show of hands.
- Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan (RNDP)
- a) To receive a report from the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan Group
Jon Smith reported that this is the last Parish Council meeting he will be attending on a regular basis.
The Acting Chairman, Cllr. Warren thanked Jon Smith for his valuable input at all the meetings and passed on his congratulations and thanks for all their hard work to all those involved in setting up the RNDP and successfully getting it passed at Referendum.
- b) To report on the Cluster meeting held on 28th September 2015.
Jon Smith thanked the Parish Council for its hospitality last week at the Cluster meeting attended by some 32 people associated with Roseland Parish Councils. Further RNP training will take place on Monday 9th November at 6.30pm in the Millennium Rooms.
- c) To elect a Member of the Council to stand on the RNDP assessment team.
Cllr. Williams proposed that Cllr. Chenoweth stands as a representative of the Parish Council on the RNDP assessment team. Seconded by Cllr. Black. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
Normal Standing Orders resumed
- Accounts and Finance
- a) To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
Total cheques numbered 6865 to 6875 minus void cheque number 6864
were approved and signed at meeting £ 6,451.52
Total paid since last meeting 6861 to 6864 were ratified £ 2,660.00
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in September £ 2,888.40
Salaries paid by FPO and transfers 1st October 2015 £ 3,822.63
Income shown as received during September £36,916.61
Approval of the payments of accounts proposed by Cllr. Giles. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) To approve the quotation from Roseland Plant Centre for winter planting.
Cllr. Williams proposed to approve the net quotation of £486.67, the same as last year, from Roseland Plant Centre for winter planting. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- a) To consider recommendations from any meeting of the Planning Committee held
No meeting held
- b) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA15/07032 – Riviera Gardens, Riviera Lane, St Mawes – alterations and extensions to the existing dwelling – considered by the Planning Committee – objection in its current form
- PA15/07672 – 14 Polvarth Estate, St Mawes – ground floor rear extension and balcony – considered by Cllrs Benney, Farmiloe and Salter (declaration of interest from Cllr. B Chenoweth) – no objection providing the neighbours’ privacy is not affected
- PA15/07673 – 4 Trevennel Close, St Just in Roseland – conversion of garage into living accommodation – considered by Cllrs. Sadler. Teague and Warren – No objection to temporary conversion
- PA15/07991 – 27 Harbour View, St Just in Roseland – single storage extension – considered
by Cllrs Sadler, Benney and Warren (Cllr. Teague declared an interest) – No objection (comment would prefer a low hipped roof to a flat roof)
- PA15/08336 – Trevassa, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – proposed single storey extension to
ground floors to provide additional bedroom, new entrance and replacement balcony – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Chenoweth and Giles – No objection
- PA15/08609 – 9 St Austell Row, St Mawes – removal of a New Zealand Pine – to be decided under delegated authority
- PA15/08471 – Rose De Mar, St Just in Roseland – New external door to replace existing picture window, access balcony and steps – under consideration by Cllrs. Teague, Benney and Giles (Cllr. Warren declared an interest)
- Pre-planning – Watersmeet, Polvarth Road, St Mawes – alterations and extensions to bungalow and entrance – under consideration by the Planning Committee
- Pre-planning – Summers, 4 Pedn Moran, St Mawes – to establish the agreement in principle for the potential increase in the height and volume of a proposed replacement dwelling – under consideration by the Planning Committee
- c) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
PA15/07049 – Sea Craig, 4 Carrick Way, St Mawes (15) – Proposed construction of a replacement dwelling house with integral garage and residential amenity space – withdrawn
PA15/07672 – 14 Polvarth Estate, St Mawes (19) – ground floor rear extension and balcony – approved
APP/D0840/W/15/3038260 (PA14/11362) notification that an appeal has been made to the Department for Communities and Local Government in respect of Trecarrell, St Just in Roseland.
- d) Enforcements
Active EN14/02128 – Lowen Meadow, St Mawes – use of land for helicopter and motorcycle activity in excess of the 28 day rule –The Enforcement Officer has entered into correspondence with the site owner regarding the use, which has resulted in an indication that the operator is going to submit a Certificate of Lawful Use application, in an attempt to prove use over a 10 year period. This application has been submitted to the Authority but is awaiting validation.
- e) To consider planning correspondence – the list was considered.
- f) Street Trading
(i) To further consider the update on the proposed trading in Tredenham Road, St Mawes
The Clerk reported that she has asked Mr Harrison his intentions for future trading but have not received a response as yet. The generator cover and the Wetsuit Hire ‘A’ board have been removed.
(ii) To consider the consultation on Cornwall Council Street Trading Review
The Clerk has been through the review consultation with Cllr. Chenoweth and it was agreed that this should be forwarded to Cornwall Council.
(iii) To further consider introducing a Policy on trading in Conservation Areas
Defer to the next meeting for the views of Cllr. Chenoweth.
- g) Paperless Planning Scheme
To consider updates on the Paperless Planning Scheme
The Clerk advised that the Parish Council will be receiving a grant of £700 shortly to purchase equipment and advised that the PC has a choice of dates to go paperless on 4th January or 1st April 2016. The Parish Council was in full agreement that it should be 1st April 2016 due to all the practicalities required to change the current system. Cllr. Giles suggested that the Planning Committee takes more of an active role in considering planning applications and to look at the way forward.
12b. Affordable Housing
To consider updates on Affordable Housing matters
A report from the Government News states that the Right To Buy scheme could force the sale of one in 14 council homes was noted.
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee and Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
- a) To consider a report and recommendations from the MRMC and RVCC meetings held on 30th September
The MRMC recommended that the Finance Committee looks into installing Solar Panels on to the building before the end of December due to the changes in Government funding. Also that the Finance Committee looks into alternative heating for the function room and to apply for a grant offered by Western Power Distribution. The Parish Council agreed that the Finance Committee considers these two recommendations.
The RVCC recommended that the Parish Council funds an extra £350 as a one off training by Tommy Tonkins to teach RVC management how to manage the website. Cllr. Hall proposed the funding of a one off payment of £350 to T. Tonkins for additional training. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- b) To consider the offer from Opus Energy to install a free Smart meter
The Parish Council agreed that the free installation of a Smart meter would be positive. Cllr. Giles proposed to accept the offer from Opus Energy to install a free Smart meter. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Car Park
To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|September-14||23, 353.54||138, 599.19||180.00||27, 160.10||165, 759.29|
|September-15||23, 369.50||137, 731.70||306.00||20, 520.80||158, 252.50|
|September 2015 comparable September 2014|
|Down||-867.49||-6, 639.30||-7, 506.79|
- Public Conveniences
- a) To consider updates on St Just Church Public Conveniences
Revd Boullier has advised that Cornwall Council will arrange for the Car Park to be taken out of its parking order in March 2016 and the legal documents are being prepared. The Diocesan Board of Finance will hold the land in trust for the PCC as the PCC is not able to ‘own’ land. Remove from agenda.
- b) To consider supporting the NALC campaign to exempt public toilets from business rates
Members of the Council fully supported the NALC campaign to exempt public toilets from business rates.
- Parish Council Website
To further consider the proposals for the Parish Council Website
Ongoing, defer to next Parish Council meeting.
- Cleansing of the Parish
- a) To consider the feedback from the working group
The Clerk has arranged for a flyer to be advertised in the Roseland Magazine March 2016. Cory Environmental should now visit the recycling sites on alternate days to pick up any full containers which should be monitored. A meeting has been arranged with Cornwall Council and Cory for next May.
- b) To consider Cornwall Council’s waste Reduction Incentive Scheme Trial
Cllr. Williams to liaise with Cornwall Cllr. German.
- Carols in the Castle – 19th December 2015
- a) To consider arrangements for the annual Carols in the Castle event
Members suggested some local groups to take part and agreed to help with the usual arrangements.
- b) To consider the recipient of the collection at the event
Cllr. Benney proposed that the funds raised from the collection should go towards St Mawes Church renovation project . Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Disclosure and Barring Service Checks
To consider whether criminal checks should be undertaken on Members of the Parish Council and Members of its committees
Members of the Parish Council and its committees do not undertake any prescribed activity with children, young persons or adults considered vulnerable to abuse where education or social service functions are carried out. Cllr. Farmiloe proposed not to undertake criminal checks on Members of the Parish Council and Members of its committees as they are not relevant. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Correspondence (information only)
- Staffing Matters.
- a) To receive a report from the Personnel Committee
Cllr. Farmiloe reported that the next meeting to be held is on Wednesday 21st October 2015.
- b) To adopt the following Policies and Procedures:
- i) Computer Usage
- ii) Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
Cllr. Warren proposed to approve the Policies and Procedures on i) Computer Usage and ii) COSHH for adoption at the next meeting. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting
- Removal of weeds in St Mawes
- St Mawes County Primary School
- Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 2nd November at the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.35pm
Signed as a true record………………………………………..Chairman Cllr. B Chenoweth
Date……2nd November 2015……..