St Just in Roseland Parish Council Minutes – October 2017

Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,

St Mawes on Monday 2nd October 2017. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.

 

Councillors Present: Cllr. B. Sadler (Chairman), Cllrs. A. Chantrill, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, S. Goldsmith,

  1. Hall, P. Teague, C. Thornton-Parr, K. Warren and C. Williams

 

Also present: S. Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk) Cornwall Cllr. German and 3 members of the public

 

  1. To accept apologies for absence – Apologies received from Cllr. P. Salter

 

  1. Declaration of Interest:
  2. a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
  3. b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
  4. c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
  5. d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared

 

  1. Open Period – Public Participation

Mrs. J. Hitchings spoke in connection to plan SN01 of the new Traffic Orders – Proposed no waiting at any time restrictions – Newton Road, St Mawes. At the meeting of 4th September, the Parish Council resolved ‘proposed no parking at any time on both sides of the road from the junction with Grove Hill up to the higher entrance to Newton Farm and the upper boundary of Hillside Cottage’. Julie believes it is a huge safety issue not to extend the double yellow lines up to the junction with Upper Castle Road, preferably on both sides, but especially on the left-hand side by the Larkfield Rise entrance, since there are currently 22 children living on the estate.

 

Mrs. D. Croft, Treasurer of St Mawes Recreation Ground Committee requested that the Parish Council considers funding the annual Insurance premium.

 

  1. Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 4th September 2017

The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 4th September 2017 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. 1 abstention.

 

  1. Matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda – for report only
  2. a) Parish Council website – The Clerk to confirm the legal requirements required, prior to a meeting to consider the website.

 

  1. b) Memorial benches – Eight new benches have been ordered. The Clerk has liaised with D. Chenoweth about the installation of the new bases. A notice has been placed in the Roseland Magazine asking if anyone knows the whereabouts of families of the people with old designated benches as the Parish Council would like to remove them on safety grounds.

 

  1. c) Application for registration based on adverse possession – land lying to the East of Grove Hill, St. Mawes  and application to Cornwall Council to devolve the land to the Parish Council – The matter has been referred to the Land Registration Division of the Property Chamber, First Tier- Tribunal and there is nothing further for the Parish Council to do for the time being.

 

  1. Report from the Clerk

Mr. C. Pridmore, on behalf of the Recreation Ground Committee, has asked for the Parish Councils assistance with the felling of at least 12 Elms dying with Dutch Elm Disease, which may cause danger to the public. The request was too late for this agenda and will be considered by the Finance Committee.

 

St Mawes Community Fireworks committee has written and asked for financial support again this year, which arrived too late for this agenda and will be considered by the Finance Committee.

 

  1. Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – no report received

 

 

 

  1. Report from Cornwall Councillor

Cllr. German gave a brief feedback on the Waste Incentive Project for which the Parish Council is awaiting the full report.

 

Cllr. German advised that he has objected to the Lowen Meadow Development as he felt that, although we need affordable homes, the scheme is not good enough in respect of size and standards.

 

  1. Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees – nothing to report

 

AGENDA ITEMS (for decision and discussion)

 

10a) Accounts and Finance (Appendix 1)

To consider Income and Expenditure for September and approve the payments of accounts

The Council was asked to approve the following payments:

The total cheques numbered 7217 to 7224 were approved                                           £6,152.84

Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in September                        £4,386.90

Salaries for September paid by FPO and transfers on 2nd October 2017                                  £4,093.66

Cheque payments paid since the last meeting                                                               £819.20

Income shown as received during September                                                                 £45,265.16

 

Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr. Giles. Seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.

 

It was noted that Grant Thornton has completed the Audit for the year end 31st March 2017 and sent the

certified Annual Return with no significant matters raised. The Notice of Conclusion of Audit and Right to

Inspect the Annual Return will be displayed on the Parish notice board.

 

  1. Car Park (Appendix 2)

             To consider the monthly income

Pay & Display Pay & Display Permits Permits Total
Monthly Cumulative Monthly     Cumulative   Cumulative
Sep-16 27,261.20 157,170.31 500.00 22,944.00 180,114.31
Sep-17 27,215.40 161,217.60 500.00 25,868.00 187,085.60
September 2017 comparable with 2016
Up 4,047.29 0.00 2,924.00 6,971.29
Down -45.80            

 

Including £5,371.20 gross on card payments

 

12a. Planning

  1. i) To consider decisions and recommendations from Planning Committee meeting held on 25th September. The following planning applications were considered:

 

  1. PA17/08345 – West Warren, 17 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – replacement of summerhouse with timber framed ancillary accommodation – Cllrs. Giles, Farmiloe and Chantrill and Planning Committee – approved with conditions

 

  1. PA17/04451 – Land east of Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes – proposed development of 15 dwellings (8 Affordable and 7 Open Market) – considered by the Planning Committee – no objection to amended plan, concerns raised regarding the Affordable Homes Team’s comments and of the AONB comments

 

  1. PA17/04967 – Haven Lodge, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – amended plans for single storey extension with terrace over, new dormer window, removal of chimneys and internal alterations to dwellingconsidered by Cllrs. Farmiloe, Giles, Thornton-Parr and Warren and the Planning Committee – approved

 

 

 

  1. PA17/08443 – Newton Byre, Newton Rod, St Mawes – non-material amendments following grant of planning permission PA17/00585 (Proposed extension and alterations with the inclusion of a terrace at first floor level) to amend glazing to west and south elevations at first floor level considered by Planning Committee – no objection

 

  1. ii) The Council considered the following planning applications:
  2. PA17/06895 – Riviera Gardens, St Mawes – replacement dwelling with design that matches previously approved scheme for alterations and extensions – consideration by Cllrs. Farmiloe, Giles, Thornton-Parr and Salter – unable to decide – request for the LPA and Ward Member to make the decision

 

  1. PA17/07275 (Amended plan) – 5 Pen Brea Close, St Mawes – single storey extension and dormer roof including balcony and porch – considered by Cllrs. Salter, Farmiloe, Giles and Thornton-Parr – no objections

 

  1. PA17/07970 – Sunny Corner, Lower Tregorland – Access to Lower Tregorland, St Just in Roseland – proposed extension and alterations – under consideration by Cllrs. Sadler, Teague and Warren – requesting information regarding access and parking

                       

  1. PA17/08624 – Summers Reach, Buckeys Lane, St Mawes – proposed garden room store extension and alterations to front canopy – considered by Cllrs. Giles, Salter and Thornton- Parr – no objection

 

  1. PA17/08766 – 5 Waterloo Close, St Mawes – new pitched roof to garage – considered by Cllrs. Giles, Thornton-Parr and Salter – no objection

 

  1. PA17/06370 – Land south of Penperth Cottage, St Just in Roseland – proposed change of use from existing agricultural barn into a farm shop and café as part of farm diversification – under consideration by Cllrs. Sadler, Teague and Warren

 

iii)       To note the decisions of the Planning Authority:    

PA17/06458 – Hotel Tresanton, 27 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (33) – proposed store room extension to rear of hotel – approved with conditions

 

PA17/01776/PREAPP – Highways (previously Lion Cottage), Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – pre-application advice for demolition of existing dwelling and replacement with single dwelling (application not considered by the Pariah Council) – advice given

 

PA17/06593 – Hotel Tresanton, 27 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (34) – proposed change use of residential garden area to hotel beach garden terrace with associated landscaping works (retrospective) – approved with conditions

 

PA17/04967 – Haven Lodge, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (36) – amended plans for single storey extension with terrace over, new dormer window, removal of chimneys and internal alterations to dwelling – approved with conditions

 

PA17/07275 (Amended plan) – 5 Pen Brea Close, St Mawes (37) – single storey extension and dormer roof including balcony and porch – approved with conditions re balcony screening

 

PA17/08443 – Newton Byre, Newton Rod, St Mawes (44) – non-material amendments following grant of planning permission PA17/00585 (Proposed extension and alterations with the inclusion of a terrace at first floor level) to amend glazing to west and south elevations at first floor level – approved unconditional

 

PA17/07268 – Victory Inn, St Mawes (38) – proposed works look to install new extractor fan run from ground floor kitchen to first floor bathroom window with new extraction vent to window and 39.   PA17/07269 – Listed Building Consent to proposed works – awaiting decision

 

 

 

 

Discharge of conditions:

PA17/08476 – 8A Brooklyn Terrace from Hillhead, St Mawes – discharge condition 3 in respect of application PA17/05882 – discharged – construction management plan submitted.

 

  1. iv) Enforcements

EN16/02210 – Agricultural building at Trethem Farm House, St Just in Roseland – no update

 

EN17/00745 – Penperth Farm, St Just in Roseland – no update

 

EN17//01727 – Chenoweth’s, Sea View Crescent – alleged works not carried out in accordance with approved plans PA16/0945; namely pitched roof altered to form flat roof with access to park a car on the roof and railings resembling a roof terrace – awaiting visit

 

EN17/01706 – Trecarrell, St Just in Roseland – alleged breach of condition 5 (tree protection measures) of appeal APP/D0840/W/3038260 0n PA14/11362 – fire damaged tree – course of action agreed – the developer is due to erect a fence within a few days

 

EN17/01707 – Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes – alleged breach of condition no 2 (landscaping) of planning approval PA16/06286 – course of action agreed – waiting for the owner to submit landscaping plans

 

EN1701805 – The Byre House, Newton Road, St Mawes – alleged height of wall not in accordance with approved plans PA17/00585; namely higher than approved – awaiting the submission of a material amendment

 

  1. v) To consider planning correspondence

 

  1. vi)         RNDP Roseland Character Guide – to receive feedback on the guide

Members of the Council reviewed the Roseland Character Guide and felt that it is a very useful tool for individuals and developers who wish to develop in in its parish. The guide will enable access to information on how their proposals would fit in with existing specific characteristics of the diverse areas. It was agreed that congratulations and thanks are conveyed to the team of volunteers who have worked tirelessly to formulate the guide taking into consideration the diversity of each parish and putting it into each specific context.

 

12b.     Affordable Housing

  1. i) To receive an update from the Roseland Community Land Trust (CLT) – Cllr. Giles updated on the developments of the CLT and circulated proposed preliminary site layout drawn up by CAD Architects for 14 dwellings at the Porth View development. He informed the Parish Council that all properties will be for rent only. The Council commented that the dwellings should have solar panels and be heated by renewable energy.

 

  1. ii) To receive an update on the proposal from the St. Mawes Self Build Group – No further action to be taken, remove from the agenda

 

  1. Millennium Rooms Management Committee/Roseland Visitor Centre Committee

To consider a report and recommendations from the MRMC and RVCC meetings held on 18th September 2017 – Cllr Sadler reported that Caroline is continuing to run the RVC smoothly in the Managers sickness, and has recruited several extra volunteers. No recommendations were reported.

 

  1. The installation of new on-street parking restrictions and speed reduction on Upper Castle

Road, St. Mawes

  1. a) To receive an update on the new restrictions from Cormac Ltd

The Traffic Order is ready to proceed, however, Heidi Wheeldon is unable to give a timescale until she has confirmation if the Parish Council wishes to wait for the decision from Hotel Tresanton

 

 

 

 

  1. b) To consider an update on introducing loading bays outside Hotel Tresanton

Cllr. Farmiloe proposed to write back again to Hotel Tresanton to inform them about the additional charges that they will occur if they decide they do not want to come in with the Parish Council on their on-street parking restrictions order and to set a seven-day deadline for their decision. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour RESOLVED by the Council.

 

  1. Roseland Outdoor Education Centre

To receive an update on the Roseland Outdoor Education Centre

Cllr. Warren updated the Parish Council on the developments with the Roseland Outdoor Education Centre. They have had their first consultation with Awards for All, who reminded them of the enormity of the task in hand. They have also successfully obtained a cash grant of £10,000 with Big Ideas, an off-shoot group of the National Lottery. The next stage is allocating jobs. The project plan is in the first stages, and is to be reviewed at the meeting being held Tuesday 3rd October. It is a small group, that needs extra members with more expertise as it is such a huge project.

 

  1. Highway matters from the site visit with the Highways Manager
  2. a) To consider the response from the Highways Manager on the suggested additional pavements/safe areas in St Mawes
  3. i) Installation of speed monitor in The Square/Kings Road area- A speed monitoring box has been fitted outside Fudge & Moore, there is no cost to the Parish Council for this service.

 

  1. ii) New ‘road narrows’ sign proposed to the south west of the Watch House – The Parish Council agreed that no sign would be required.

 

iii)        Street lightening on the corner of the Watch House – The Parish Council agreed not to proceed with the installation of a new light due to the £5,000 estimated cost.

 

  1. iv) Extension of footway at top of Hillhead – The extension of the pavement has been tagged onto the pending surface treatment scheme for Hillhead, to stop drivers cutting the corner.

 

  1. b) To receive an update on the placing of a barrier at the junction of footpath 322/23/1 from Buckeys Lane to Tredenham Road to warn people of the fast road ahead – In the hands of Cornwall Council and the Countryside Officer. A warning sign has been erected, on Sailing Club junction.

 

  1. Cleansing in the Parish
  2. a) Recycling and Waste in St Mawes – feedback on the Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme – Still waiting for feedback, which should be available to report at the next Parish Council meeting

 

  1. b) To consider the extra waste generated from takeaway businesses – Nothing to report

 

  1. c) To consider the service received from Churchill Contract Services – The Clerk and the Chairman are to draft a letter to Churchill Contract Services stating the service is not good enough and requesting credits for the days no operative was supplied.

 

  1. Refurbishment of the nine flower tubs in St Mawes
  2. a) To consider the quotations for refurbishing the flower tubs – currently only one quote has been received. This will be reconsidered next spring.

 

  1. b) To consider the winter planting

Cllr. Williams proposed that the Clerk writes to Roseland Plant Centre asking if they will undertake the winter planting at the same price as last year (£486 net). Seconded by Cllr. Chantrill. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.

 

  1. Carols in the Castle – Saturday 16th December 2017
  2. a) To consider who should take part
  3. b) To consider the recipient of the collection

The Clerk is to organise a meeting with the group of Councillor’s who agreed to assist the with the arrangements for the Carols in the Castle.

           

  1. Correspondence (information only) – considered with no matter raised

 

  1. Staffing Matters
  2. a) To receive a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee Meeting held on 6th September – no recommendations were put forward

There were no recommendations and the items considered are covered in b) and c) below.

 

At this point, the Clerk and the Assistant Clerk left the meeting (10pm)

 

  1. b) To receive an update on, and consider staffing at the Roseland Visitor Centre

Cllr Sadler reported that the long-term sickness of the RVC Manager was being dealt with in accordance with the Council’s Absence Management Policy.

 

  1. c) To receive an update on, and consider staffing at the Clerk’s Office

Cllr Sadler reported that the position of a new Clerk was being advertised extensively.

 

  1. Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting

 

  1. Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on Monday 6th November 2017 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm

 

There being no further business, the meeting closed at pm

 

Signed as a true record………………………………………………..Chairman Cllr. B. Sadler

 

 

Date……………………………………………………………………6th November 2017

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*