St Just in Roseland Parish Council Minutes – September 2013

Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes on Monday 2nd September 2013. The meeting commenced at 7pm.

Draft

Councillors Present:

The Chairman Cllr. Warren, Cllrs. S. Black, B. Chenoweth, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler,            P. Salter, P. Teague and C. Williams

Also Present:

S. Penhaligon (Clerk), T van der Wolde (Assistant Clerk), Cornwall Councillor J German, Stephen Miles from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service, and two members of the public

1. To accept apologies for absence – Cllr. J. Benney

2. Declaration of Interest:

a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest– none declared

b) Non-Registerable Interest – none declared

c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – none declared

d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – none declared

3. Open Period – Public Participation

No comments were made.

4. Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 5th August 2013

Prior to the meeting, the clerk circulated amended minutes as the Pay and Display car park figures had been entered incorrectly on item 16a page 3. A further amendment was made on item 16 page 3 where the Parish council approved the rewording to read “It was noted that Phil Green planned to undertake the works in St Just Lane Car Park week beginning 12th August and that the clerk is liaising with ‘the users of the car park’ to ensure the area is cleared for the works to take place.

The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands, that the amended previously circulated minutes be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

5. Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda – The Clerk reported that a litter bin has been ordered for Castle Drive, and a bird proof attachment for the waste bin on the Quay has been ordered. Bird Proof Sacks are now available in the Roseland Visitor Centre to purchase.

The Car Park Committee will be responsible for arrangements relating to the Tall Ships Regatta 2014.

6. Report from the Clerk

The Clerk gave an update on known flooding areas as reported from Luke Hadfield, Neighbourhood

Steward, Cornwall Council:

Trethewell – Funding has been allocated and a scheme has been designed to upgrade the existing system. Unfortunately they are not allowed to work on the A3078 at the moment due to the summer embargo and are hoping to carryout the work in September / October 2013.

Trethem Mill – The intention is to carry out two schemes here. Firstly they will be installing a bolthole feature in the parapet wall at the lowest point near the existing gully; this will allow significantly more water to drain away from the highway. No date for this work at the moment but they hope to complete this shortly after the embargo on the A3078 ends.

In addition to the above; Trethem Mill culvert is also going to be upgraded, this is a significant project which is currently in the process of being designed.

7. Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary

No report was given.

8. Report from Cornwall Cllr. German

Cornwall Cllr. German confirmed that Cornwall Council was supporting the Tall Ships event and that he would be the Councillor responsible for liaising with the Organisers.  He encouraged the Parish Council to be involved in the event as it would be a positive experience for the local community.

Cllr. German advised that residents and staff at Waterloo House, St Mawes have been in discussions over a possible future closure.

Cllr. German has been working on a document paper called Economy and Culture Strategy, an update on the Economic White Paper produced in 2010.

There will be a 1.97 increase in Council Tax. There is a 2% cap, as any higher then it will need to go to a full public referendum. The increase is to help with the budget cuts, Cornwall Council has announced a £24 million budget cut, this cut is on top of the £170 million already saved since 2009 from administration and efficiencies savings, with another £196 million expected to be saved by 2019. Cllr. German announced that there will be a series of public consultations asking residents what services they think should be cut, within Truro and the Roseland area scheduled for October.

9. Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees

No reports were given.

The Chairman asked that standing orders be lifted to bring forward item 19 and to allow Stephen Miles from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service to speak. All in agreement.

19. Site for defibrillator in St Just in Roseland Parish

Stephen Miles explained that in the Roseland there are five accredited trainers for the British Heart Foundation for the Heartstart scheme and 60 people in this Parish have received the basic first aid training. Stephen thanked the Parish Council for the donation of £1,000 to buy a defibrillator for the Parish; however, the total cost of purchase would likely be £1,300 and he may request a further donation from the Parish Council. Stephen confirmed that the Idle Rocks Hotel has agreed to have a defibrillator, and in view of the close proximity, he suggested the Parish Council have theirs elsewhere in the village. The Parish Council will decide where to locate the defibrillator, when it receives information on the total number of units held in this village and where they will be placed.

10a. Accounts and Finance

a) To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)

The Council were asked to approve the following payments:

Total cheques numbered 6169 to 6183 approved and signed at meeting                                     £7,593.98

Total cheques numbered 6159 to 6168 paid since last meeting were ratified                    £4,793.64

Direct Debits/ Standing Orders shown as paid in August                                                   £10,682.82 Income shown as received during August                                                                             £35,827.20

Approval of the payments of accounts proposed by Cllr. Giles. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

b) To further consider installing a radio door phone for the Clerk’s new office.

This item was passed to the Clerk’s office to discuss and make a recommendation at the next Parish Council meeting

c) To consider the quotation for winter planting in the ten tubs outside the Arcade, the Public Conveniences and the Visitor Centre from the Roseland Plant Centre.

The Clerk informed that she is awaiting a quotation.

d) To consider the recipient of the £14 received from St Mawes Co Partnership

Cllr. Salter proposed that the recipients of the £14 donation are the Golden Age Club, seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

It was noted that the Annual Audit has been completed by Grant Thornton Ltd, the External Auditor who reported that the information in the return is in accordance with proper practices and no matters have come to its attention giving cause for concern that relevant legislation and regulatory requirements have not been met.  A copy of the Notice of Conclusion of Audit will now be displayed on the Parish Council notice board

10b. Finance Committee (Appendix 2)

To consider the recommendations from the Finance Committee meeting held on 22nd August 2013

Cllr. Salter proposed that the Parish Council approve the following recommendations from the Finance Committee:

  • That the Parish Council awards a grant of £300 under S 137 to The Hub Radio as it will be beneficial to the community of the parish.
  • That the Parish Council funds the costs of new gates and signage up to a total of £1,700 as per the conditions stipulated in the £25.000 grant offer from Sita Cornwall Trust for the upgrade of St Mawes Recreation Ground.

Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. 9 in favour, 1 absentation. RESOLVED by the Council.

11.              Planning

a)                To consider the meetings of the Planning Committee

No planning committee meeting was held in August.

b)                The Council considered the following planning applications:

29.              PA13/06161 Little Polvarth, Polvarth Road, St Mawes. Proposed detached garage, existing garage conversion with roof alterations and balcony. Reviewed by Cllrs. Salter, Farmiloe, Benney. Objection. The Parish Council agreed to disagree with the Planning Officer’s recommendation for approval.

30.       PA13/06394 Adj to Trevennel Farm, St Mawes. Application for outline planning permission with some matters reserved to reconstruct former workshop and store to create artisan studios and workshops. Reviewed by Cllrs. Giles, Williams, Benney. This application will be considered at the Planning Committee meeting to be held on Friday 6th September.

 

31.       PA13/03289 St Mawes Car Park, The Square, St Mawes. Erection of a free-standing garage/store.

The Planning Officer has strongly advised that timber walls and door and a natural slate roof should be use in light of the AONB, Heritage Coast and Conservation Area. This application will be considered at the Planning Committee meeting to be held on Friday 6th September.

32.       PA13/07059 Two Furlongs, Polvarth Road, St Mawes. Demolition of existing single storey, side               facing, conservatory and erection of larger side facing conservatory and internal alterations. Reviewed by Cllrs. Benney, Salter and Giles – No objections

33a.     PA13/02792 Opposite 31 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – demolition of existing garden room and residential annexe and construction of new garden room and residential annexe.

33b.    PA13/02793 Opposite 31 Lower Castle Road – Conservation Area consent for demolition of existinggarden room and residential annexe and construction of new garden room and residential annexe. This application will be discussed at the Planning Committee meeting to be held on Friday 6th September.

 

 
34.       PA13/07444 1 Rose Da Mor, St Just – new external door and access steps. Reviewed by Cllrs.Sadler, Teague and Benney. No objection.

 

 

c)         To note the decisions of the Planning Authority

PA13/04945 The Old Quay House, Bosloggas, St Mawes. Proposed replacement of existing dwelling.

Approved.

PA13/06899 Ola’s Cottage, Trelawney Road, St Mawes. Submission of details to discharge conditions 4 (landscaping) and 5 (external materials) in respect of decision notice. S52/S106 and discharge of condition apps

d)         Enforcements

Ongoing – EN13/01655         Development is not being constructed in accordance with the approved plans, skylight has been installed. Bohella House The Square St Mawes.

EN13/01784 Alleged change of use of helipad from casual to frequent. Land at Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes.

ENF13/02017 Alleged non compliance with approved plans.  Parking spaces reduced to one – The Colt, St Just in Roseland

Closed – None

12. Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan

To consider updates on the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan

Cllr. Williams gave an update and reported that the Steering Group has been active over the summer attending carnivals and village events, the results of which are being annotated. Cllr. Williams said the most overriding feedback so far was that people wanted a balance between providing affordable homes and employment and protecting and enhancing the landscape of the AONB.  As well as receiving £7000 from government funding towards the cost of producing a Neighbourhood Plan, further government funding is also paying direct to a Planning Consultancy and this can be up to £9,000 worth of resource.

The Chairman asked that standing orders be lifted to allow Jon Smith chairman of the Steering Group speak. All in agreement.

Jon informed that the response from the forms posted or hand delivered in the Roseland has had a good response, and 70% of forms returned have included an email address, and the householder’s preferred method of communication, such as website or social media, this will help the Steering Group involve members of the community of news and progress relating to the plan, and gain their views.

13a. Affordable Housing Local Needs

To consider updates on Affordable Housing

Barry Lewis from Housing Matters is making contact with Landowners in the Parish. He hopes to secure land for £10,000 a plot, and deliver 100% affordable housing, with a lower rent than current social housing, he recently wrote to the Clerks Office and said that the funders have agreed that after a 35 year lease, the Funders will share the value of the freehold reversions with the Parish Councils.  This means that for the period of the leases (35 years) any rent increases beyond starting rent fixed by the fund will accrue to the benefit of the Council. At the end of the lease 50 percent of the value of the property would be owned by the Council. The Parish Council’s options would include selling the homes to tenants, building more, reducing rents or indeed endow a fund for the benefit of the village.

13b Proposed Housing Developments in St Mawes and St Just in Roseland

No updates to report.

14. Millennium Rooms Management Committee

Following the MRMC meeting, Cllr. Salter and Dawn Andrews visited Ruanlanihorne to see the set up of a screen, projector and associated peripherals in action and were most impressed.  The Parish Council are supportive of provision of this facility for the Millennium Rooms in principle and would like to have more advice before it moves forward.

15. Car Park

a) To consider monthly income

Pay & Display       Pay & Display             Permits                        Permits                        Total                                       Monthly          Cumulative                        Monthly          Cumulative       Cumulative

Aug 12                         27,203.10        100,462.70                  0.00                 12,944.10        113,406.80

Aug 13                         33,803.65        115,998.50                  90.00               15,454.80        131,453.30

August 2013 comparable with August 2012

Up                   6,600.55          15,535.80                    90.00               2,510.70          18,046.50

b) To consider updates on the Idle Rocks Hotel allocated parking spaces

It has been agreed with the Idle Rocks Hotel that the signage will include the Parish Council name & logo and it should be delivered in about two weeks.

It was noted that a letter had been received from Mr. S Pearce regarding a possible two hour charge in the car park.  This was referred to the Car Park Committee for consideration at its next meeting.

16. St Just in Roseland Church Public Conveniences

Allison Bunney of Charles French and Co has been appointed to deal with the legal aspects of the lease on

behalf of the Parish Council in respect of the devolution of St Just Public Conveniences at a reduced fee of

£750.  Cornwall Council has offered to pay up to £500 towards the legal costs. As there will be complex

legal work involved the Clerk will ask for extra funding. Cornwall Council is organising a meeting with all

parties after 15th September.

17. Lighting to front of Harbour View, St Just in Roseland

To further consider additional lighting in area to the front of the Harbour View

The Clerk informed that she is still awaiting a quote from Western Power Distribution.

18. Decommissioning of BT Red Telephone Boxes

The St Just and St Mawes Heritage Group asked to sign an agreement through the Parish Council with BT to take on the responsibility of the Red Telephone Boxes, which were due to be taken away. They will take ownership of the ones in Sea View and Polvarth Road, with the view to relocating them for display purposes. Cllr. Giles proposed to adopt the Red Telephone Boxes via the Parish Council, seconded by Cllr. Chenoweth. 3 abstentions, 5 in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.

20. Churchill Contract Cleaning Services  

To review Churchill Contract Services contract.

The Clerks office has received complaints regarding the litter in the streets. The Parish Council discussed the matter, and a number of issues were raised such as inadequate litter bins, business’s and residents using litter bins for their waste thus contributing to the over-spill, the volume of visitors being proportionate to the amount of waste, and the timetable of the street cleaner not being sufficient. It was agreed the first course of action is for the Clerk to discuss the complaints received with Churchill Contract Cleaning Services and see what actions they put forward to address the issues. 

21. Code of Conduct Consultation

The consultation responses are due by the 4th October.

22. Parish Council Sub Committees

To consider the Sub Committees including a representative on St Mawes CP School of Governors

Cllr. Hall agreed to join the Personnel Committee. No councillor came forward as the representative on the St Mawes CP School of Governors.

23. Correspondence (information only)

24.  Staffing Matters

To consider a report from the Personnel Committee

No report. A Personnel Committee meeting will be held on Monday 9th September. The Clerk advised that Jenna Foster has been appointed as the Roseland Visitor Centre Assistant on a one year contract from 1st September.

25. Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting

No item put forward.

26. Date of next meeting – The next general meeting of the Parish Council will be held on Monday 7th October 2013 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm.

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 10.00 pm

 

Signed as a true record………………………………………..Chairman

 

Date……………………………………………………………

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*