Gerrans Parish Council
MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council
held on Tuesday 1st August 2017
in the Memorial Hall Annexe
NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 5th September 2017 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe
Cllrs Mary Bax (MB),Richard Cochrane (RC), Ralph German (RG), Helen Hastings (HH), James Hetherington (JH), Nev Meek (NM), Val Neal (VN), Charlotte Taffinder (CT) ( Chairman); S Skull (Clerk), CC Julian German (JG)
1 member of the public attended.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
– Cllrs Edwards, Gill, Iddison;
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA
JG said he would be looking into the extent of permitted development rights within a conservation area.
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The Council accepted the draft minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 4th July 2017 as being a true record subject to the correction of one error. The Chairman signed the corrected minutes.
REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – ITEMS FOR REPORT / DISCUSSION
The clerk reported:
- He had written to Cornwall Council’s (CC) planning portfolio holder as directed but had as yet received no response.
- The case officer dealing with enforcement case ref EN17/01044 relating to the Cornish Heritage Farm had given the following reason for the case closure:
“The site in its current form is not deemed untidy enough on the site and from the streetscene at this stage to warrant further action”.
- Email from the Chief Superintendent of Devon and Cornwall Police
Acknowledgement of the PC’s letter of 13th June expressing concern over the continuing reductions in policing levels.
- Email from Mr Rob Peters
Request to site a commemorative bench overlooking the harbour near the Burma Star memorial. Agreed. Clerk to make the usual arrangements. Action clerk
There was no further correspondence which would not be addressed in other items on the agenda.
The PC had received 2 new applications. These are outlined below and comments are noted in the Planning Register.
|PA17/05321||Porch roof reconstruction at Downalong. North Parade||Unanimous support|
|PA17/05721||Conversion of outbuilding at Rockpool, Churchtown Road||Unanimous support|
|Application||GPC comment||CC Decision|
|PA17/05018 re 14 The Square Gerrans||Support||Approved|
|PA17/03863 re Methers Collyn||Object||Approved|
|PA17/04758 re Trewince Manor||Object||Approved|
Councillors also considered an appeal decision of the Planning Inspectorate in respect of PA16/05503 re Herons Lea, Rosevine. The application had been objected to by the PC and refused by CC. The appeal was allowed and planning permission granted by the Inspector. Much dissatisfaction was expressed regarding this decision, and members felt that a fundamental policy of the Neighbourhood Plan had simply been ignored, and local expectations dashed. It was agreed that JH and JG should liaise in compiling evidence of a history of cases in which local opinion and policy had been overridden by the Inspectorate in Bristol, and the clerk was asked to make it an agenda item in September to agree a form of words for a representation to Sarah Newton MP on the subject. Action clerk
(c) Enforcement matters
No current cases to report.
COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
JH said he had attended the meeting of the Community Network Panel in July but reported that most of the discussion was concerning traffic issues in Truro.
– Consideration of a formal response to the Local Government Boundary Review consultation.
NM proposed (seconded HH) that the current number of Cornwall Councillors was barely adequate, that further dilution would save no money and have a detrimental effect on local representation. This was agreed unanimously, and NM and HH said they would compile a list of bullet points for the clerk to produce a draft response. JG also volunteered to contribute relevant data.
Other localism issues
CHURCH CLOSE OPEN SPACE AREA
The clerk reported:
– The second claim for drawdown of S106 monies, for the backstop net for the football goal, had been agreed but the funds not yet received.
The clerk produced a quote from SSE Enterprise to install one new street light at New Road as instructed at the June meeting (minute ref 061715). The new light would cost £2,549 plus VAT. He was investigating the possibility of having CC adopt the light once installed, but the ongoing management costs of one new light would not be prohibitive if this were not possible. RG proposed (seconded CT) the quote be accepted and this was agreed unanimously. Action clerk
The clerk reported that all payments submitted for approval were materially within budget, or within forecast and agreed contingency levels where actual figures were unknown at the time of setting the budget.
ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT
It was resolved that the outstanding invoices totalling £5,545.09 (including VAT of £84.57) be paid. A schedule of all the payments is available from the clerk.
The reconciled bank balance as at 25th July was £56,059.89.
OTHER PARISH MATTERS
- Any urgent business
- Matters to be included on the next agenda
– Condition of the roof at Percuil public conveniences
- Minor items for report
– The clerk reported that he and VN had cleared the drain at New Road car park to prevent the overflow of rainwater on to the footpath below.
– NM said he had received complaints about the quality of the street cleaning in the Parish. The clerk said the contractor, who is still within a 6-month probationary period, had not submitted a full invoice for the previous month. He would talk to the contractor before the next meeting to ascertain the reason and report back at the September meeting. Action clerk
– RG reported numerous hedges overgrowing over the pavement at Tregassick Road and Churchtown Road. The clerk said he would investigate. Action clerk
The meeting closed at 8.55 pm