Gerrans Parish Council Parish Council News

Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – October 2019

Konsel Pluw Erens
Gerrans Parish Council

MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council
held on Tuesday 1st October 2019 at 7.30 pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 5th November 2019 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

Present:

Charlotte Taffinder (Chairman) (CT), Richard Cochrane (RC), Ralph German (RG), Helen Hastings (HH), Joanna Holah (JH), Nev Meek (NM), Val Neal (VN), Mary Watson (MW); Steve Skull (Clerk)

4 members of the public attended.

101901

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Will Gill, Kate Greet, CC Julian German.

RESOLUTION TO APPROVE ABSENCES

Proposed MW, seconded VN. Agreed unanimously.

101902

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

– None.

101903

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

– None

101904

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

The Council unanimously accepted the draft minutes of the PC meeting held on Tuesday 3rd September 2019 as being a true record. CT signed the minutes.

101905

REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – MATTERS ARISING

The clerk reported:

  1. The proportion of Parish street lights with LED operation was 26%. He had requested a quote for the conversion of the remainder.
  2. There is already a bus request stop on Churchtown road close to the junction with Parc An Dillon. A timetable is displayed on a telegraph pole there.

3.A shield kit had now been fitted to street light 017CL near Gerrans school to prevent glare at night in houses opposite.

101906

CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED

The clerk reported he had received and published online and on the Parish notice boards the Notification of the Conclusion of Audit of the Annual Governance and Accountability Return for y/e 31st March 2019 from the PC’s external auditors, PKF Littlejohn LLP. The auditors found that the information in the Return was in accordance with proper practices.

There was no other correspondence to report which was not covered by items on the agenda.

101907

PLANNING MATTERS

(a) APPLICATIONS

The PC considered 1 new application. This is outlined below and detailed comments are noted on the Cornwall Council planning website.

Application Description PC decision
PA19/07200 Provision of rear ground floor and first floor extension.

2, Churchtown Road, Gerrans

Unanimous support

 

(b) DECISIONS

Application GPC comment CC Decision
PA19/05856 & 06090 re Land at Treloan Farmhouse Support Approved
PA19/06687 re Court Barn, St Anthony Support Approved

(c) ENFORCEMENT MATTERS

– Nothing to report

101908

COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

A report from the PC’s Planning Working Group on the most recent Cluster Meeting of the five Roseland Parish Councils to discuss a potential review of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan was presented. The full text of the report may be seen in Appendix 1 to these minutes.

NM reported that the Memorial hall had decided not to put a TV screen on the wall of the annexe as had been mooted. MW said it was possible the Harbour Club might consider donating one which had recently been replaced there. She said she would enquire.

101909

LOCALISM

The clerk presented two quotes for the provision of a mains electricity supply on Gerrans Green. Members considered that more detail was required about one of these, and that a third quote should also be sought. The clerk was asked to make the necessary enquiries and put the matter on the November agenda. Action clerk

On the matter of the design for a logo for the PC, VN and RC presented some draft ideas for consideration. At the Chairman’s invitation a member of the public said that his daughter was studying graphic design and had offered to contribute some design ideas. It was agreed that she should be invited to liaise with VN and RC with a view to presenting more draft suggestions at the November meeting.The clerk was asked to put this on November’s agenda. Action clerk.

101910

ENVIRONMENTAL MATTERS

RC reported there had been a meeting of REACT the night before, at which the Roseland’s plastic free status had been confirmed by Surfers Against Sewage. He also said negotiations were ongoing about the provision of water bottle filling stations at Tatams café, and confirmed that there were only three suppliers of truly green electricity. JH said she would enquire whether they would supply a local authority on an unmetered supply basis for street lighting.

RC said REACT were waiting for detailed quotes for the potential installation of electric vehicle charging points at the Memorial Hall car park or at Treloan Lane. NM said the Memorial Hall committee were open to the idea but needed more detail about the practicalities.

RC said there was still no formal process for CC’s projected “Environmental Growth for Rural Parishes” pilot scheme, and that CC were looking for suggestions from the parishes.

The clerk reported that, further to correspondence following complaints received in recent times from parishioners concerning the gradual loss of a sea view from New Road due to the growth of trees and shrubs in the fields below, he had received an offer from a representative of the National Trust to attend either a regular PC meeting or a meeting on site to discuss the issue. It was decided unanimously that a site meeting would be advantageous (proposed RG, seconded VN) and the clerk was asked to arrange such a meeting. Action clerk.

101911

FINANCIAL MATTERS

ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

The clerk reported that all payments submitted for approval were materially within budget, or within forecast and agreed contingency levels where actual figures were unknown at the time of setting the budget.

It was resolved that the outstanding invoices totalling £5,310.85 (including VAT of £221.85) be paid. A schedule of all the payments is available from the clerk.

BANK RECONCILIATION

The reconciled bank balance as at 25th September was £70,216.69.

101912

OTHER PARISH MATTERS

  1. Any urgent business

– None

  1. Matters to be included on the next agenda (not heretofore minuted)

– None

  1. Minor items for report

-MW reported the street light outside No 6 The Quay was not working. The clerk said he would report it. Action clerk

– RG made an enquiry about the terms of the lease at Tatams café. The clerk said he would investigate. Action clerk.

101914

CO-OPTION OF NEW MEMBER

Two applications for the vacant position had been received and both applicants, Mrs Jackie Vanson and Mr John Crombie were present and each gave a brief presentation. Voting was by secret ballot, and John Crombie was elected to the post, and signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office form. CT offered the congratulations of the Council to John, and there was unanimous appreciation for the interest and attendance of Jackie.

 

The meeting closed at 9.31 pm

 

APPENDIX 1

 

Roseland Cluster Meeting report – 17th September 2019

Discussion of a potential review of the Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan.

St Just, Ruan, Philleigh and Gerrans summarised discussions held in their parishes; Veryan did not attend but a parishioner was able to confirm they do not wish to review the RNDP.

Information from Sarah Furley was discussed and closely reflected the issues raised by all parishes, namely:

  • Second homes and principal residence policy
  • Affordable housing
  • Replacement dwellings/conversions
  • Energy efficiency
  • Character policies

All parishes agreed that to change the RNDP would be onerous and of limited effect. However, they all felt that the Roseland Character Guide contains the essence of the entire RNDP, so it is very important it is referenced in recommendations and decisions.

There was also concern that Planning Officers don’t interpret the housing policies (especially HO8) consistently or as local people feel they were intended.

Julian German offered to arrange a meeting with our local team so that we can get to understand each other better: this has been confirmed as Tuesday 22nd October at 2:30 pm in the Millennium Rooms in St Mawes.

Julian also said he felt the issue Mary raised regarding the need for more affordable housing and a possible Housing Needs Survey was separate from planning but that it was worth pursuing. She is therefore going to liaise with him.

The idea of some kind of public meeting in the Harbour Club (with refreshments as that always increases attendance!) was mooted.

Kate Greet, Gerrans Planning Working Group, September 2019.

Leave a Comment