Gerrans Parish Council Parish Council News

Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – September 2019

Konsel PluwErens

Gerrans Parish Council
MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council held on Tuesday 3rd September 2019 at 7.30 pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe
NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 1st October 2019 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

Present:
Charlotte Taffinder (Chairman) (CT), Richard Cochrane (RC), Ralph German (RG), Kate Greet (KG), Helen Hastings (HH), Joanna Holah (JH), Nev Meek (NM), Val Neal (VN), Mary Watson (MW); Steve Skull (Clerk)
4 members of the public attended.
091901
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Cllr Will Gill, CC Julian German.
RESOLUTION TO APPROVE ABSENCES
Proposed CT, seconded VN. Agreed unanimously.
091902
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA
NM declared a non registerable interest in PA19/06907 and PA19/07171, to be considered under item 7 on the agenda.
091903
PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
– None
091904
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The Council unanimously accepted the draft minutes of the PC meeting, held on Tuesday 6th August 2019 as being a true record. CT signed the minutes.
091905
REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – MATTERS ARISING
The clerk reported the public bench at Trewithian had now been successfully repaired. He was still awaiting answers to other enquiries raised at the last meeting but responses were always slow in coming during August.
091906
CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED
The clerk reported there was no correspondence to report which was not covered by items on the agenda.
091907
PLANNING MATTERS
(a) APPLICATIONS
The PC considered 7 new applications. These are outlined below and detailed comments are noted on the Cornwall Council planning website.
Application
Description
PC decision
PA19/06687
Replacement single storey extension – rear of garage.
Court Barn, St Anthony
Unanimous support
PA19/06907
Discharge of Section 106 legal agreement dated 26/07/2004 in respect of decision LC10/2279/02/G (Lift condition 5 on decision notice PA10/0318/01/S to allow full residential occupancy.
Porthbean Barn, Lower Farm, Trewithian.
Majority object:
6 object, 1 support, 1 abstain.
PA19/07171
Single storey extension with raised terrace over.
Alicia’s Barn, Lower Farm, Trewithian
Majority support:
7 support, 1 object.
NM left the room during discussion of PA19/06907 and PA19/07171
GPC minutes 03/09/2019
2
(b) DECISIONS
Application
GPC comment
CC Decision
PA19/05688 re Portscatho Stores
Support
Approved
PA19/05922 re Bohortha Boathouse
Object with suggested amendments
Approved (amended).
PA19/04863 re Barn at Treloan
Support
Approved
PA19/01880 re 1 Wellington Terrace
Object
Approved
PA19/05643 re Seagers Barn
Support
Approved
Members also acknowledged receipt of notification from the Planning Inspectorate of an appeal decision:
Appeal ref: APP/D0840/W/19/3228504 re 2 The Quay, Portscatho (Original Application PA18/05368). The PC had objected, CC refused the application and dismissed a subsequent appeal. Inspectorate decision: Appeal dismissed.
(c) ENFORCEMENT MATTERS
– Nothing to report
091908
COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
KG reported on an open meeting of the PC’s Planning Working Group held on 27th August, which had been attended by seven Councillors, two planning consultants and two members of the public. The Chairman’s notes from the meeting are appended at the end of these minutes. Members agreed that all the issues noted should be brought up at the forthcoming cluster meeting of the five Roseland Parish Councils to be held on Tuesday 17th September, and that the need for a formal local housing need survey should be highlighted.
091909
LOCALISM
KG presented two quotes for the provision of a mains power supply to be made available on the green at Gerrans. It was decided that more clarification of the actual works to be done was necessary before accepting either quote so the clerk was asked to make the necessary enquiries and put the matter on the October agenda. Action clerk
On the matter of the design for a logo for the PC, VN and RC agreed to liaise on the graphics for incorporating some of VN’s ideas into a draft logo. The clerk was asked to put this on October’s agenda. Action clerk.
091910
ENVIRONMENTAL MATTERS
RC reported there had been no meeting of REACT this month, and that more time was needed to develop a professional feasibility study for the potential installation charging points for electric vehicles at the Memorial Hall car park.
JH said she had ascertained there was as yet no formal process for CC’s projected “Environmental Growth for Rural Parishes” pilot scheme.
It was agreed to discuss both matters again at the October meeting.
091911
PARISH COUNCIL REGISTERED ADDRESS
The clerk reported that he had been advised by CALC that the simplest, most practical and cheapest option in the matter of changing the mailing address of the PC was to use the clerk’s new home address. It was agreed unanimously that the new address and telephone number should be: 1, Cott Villas, Cott Road, Lostwithiel, PL22 0ET. Tel 01208 872285. (Proposed CT, seconded VN) Action clerk to implement the change.
091912
FINANCIAL MATTERS
ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT
The clerk reported that all payments submitted for approval were materially within budget, or within forecast and agreed contingency levels where actual figures were unknown at the time of setting the budget.
It was resolved that the outstanding invoices totalling £5,493.72 (including VAT of £141.29) be paid. A schedule of all the payments is available from the clerk.
BANK RECONCILIATION
The reconciled bank balance as at 25th August was £55,756.89.
091913
OTHER PARISH MATTERS
1. Any urgent business
– None
2. Matters to be included on the next agenda (not heretofore minuted)
– Co-option of new member.
3. Minor items for report
GPC minutes 03/09/2019
3
-The clerk reported that he had received a quote from SSE Contractors for £90.00 plus VAT to install a shield kit on the streetlight outside Gerrans school to prevent it shining into the windows of properties opposite. It was agreed the clerk should accept the quote as authorised in the PC’s Financial Regulations. Action clerk
– RG said he thought the village charity should be meeting more often and making more donations. CT said she would approach the secretary for a response.
– RC Said there was a holiday let at The Quay near the slipway to Tatams beach which had an outdoor shower that drained directly onto the street. He said he would liaise with the property agent on the matter.
– VN reported an overgrown hedge obstructing a signpost at The Square, Portscatho. The clerk said he would investigate. Action clerk.
The meeting closed at 8.55 pm
APPENDIX 1
Notes from Gerrans Parish Council Planning Working Group meeting – 27th August 2019
Present: Councillors Cochrane, German, Greet (Chair), Hastings, Meek, Neal and Taffinder; 2 planning consultants and 2 members of the public.
Background: As a precursor to the next Gerrans Parish Council and Roseland Cluster meetings, issues with the current Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan were discussed and consideration given to whether these need to be completely reviewed or if there is any alternative approach.
Since the RNDP was written before the Cornwall Local Plan and the review to the National Planning Policy Framework, these latter take precedence. The intention is clearly to promote quality developments as well as to preserve and enhance the character of the Roseland; it should support a realistic approach. It was further noted that the recent ‘Gladman judgement’ reiterates that Development Plans must be considered as a whole
Positive aspects of the plan
• It gives Parish Councils a framework to use in considering applications
• It is mostly supportive of local priorities
• Neighbourhood Plans are well received by Cornwall’s Planning Committee (although not necessarily at appeal with the Planning Inspectorate)
Negative aspects (including points raised at the previous cluster meeting
• Interpretation seems to vary between Planning Officers – they may need clarification on what the purpose behind some policies is
• Replacement dwellings – any link to affordability is out of conformity with the Local Plan so applications – especially agricultural buildings/’sheds’ – have been allowed in conflict with the original intentions of the community
• Scale and over-development have sometimes been permitted
• Environmental protection, energy efficiency – these are being encouraged now, especially with changes to Building Regulations
• Second home issue – pros and cons but no real answers.
• Principal residence conditions – Community Infrastructure Levy is now a big consideration and could bring financial benefits
• Affordable housing – should the parish identify Rural/Entry Exception Sites? Community Land Trusts are very slow and even Cornwall-led developments on their land encounter problems. Public consultation, e.g. a Housing Needs Survey, would be necessary to support the information on the
GPC minutes 03/09/2019
4
Housing Register. Identifying possible sites is difficult in an area with such high land values, although there were suggestions in the past
• The layout of the plan is unhelpful and could be improved if reviewed
Summary
The key objective of RNDP is to “conserve and enhance Roseland’s character and distinctiveness for a sustainable future”, and all the policies mentioned above and stem from that, so it is important we always bear that in mind. The Roseland Character guide amplifies the essence of the plan, so might it be used more explicitly to inform recommendations? (There appears to be some confusion about whether it is integral to the RNDP.) Conservation Areas lack formal appraisals so currently have limited meaning; Cornwall’s Historic Environment team is working on these so there is scope to reinforce their significance.
ACTIONS:
• GPC to discuss the above in order to make recommendation to the Roseland Cluster meeting on 17th September
• KG to clarify the status and validity of the Roseland Character Guide
END OF NOTES

Leave a Comment