MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 15 August 2019 at 7pm
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Blackmore, J Daniel, M Facey, N Florence, J Gann, J Morgan, H Nathan,
G Shephard, P Simpson, J Whatty.
In Attendance P Howson (Clerk), 7 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. Robinson and Mustoe.
- There were no Declarations of Interest or Gifts.
- Tristan Netherton presented the Rowing Club’s plans for a Mevagissey Sea Shanty Festival to be held on 18-19 October.
- Sarah Vercoe, Roy Purlan and Peter Hingley spoke on agenda item 8h and asked the Council to make a further representation to the Planning Inspectorate.
Tom Hellings spoke on agenda item 8b and asked the Council to object to the proposal.
David Sycamore and Christine Leiser spoke on agenda item 13 and asked the Council to declare a climate emergency.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the minutes of the meeting held on 18 July be accepted. Carried.
6a. The Clerk reported that:
- The police website shows 15 crimes reported in June as follows: 5 x violence and sexual offences (under investigation in Jetty Street , River Street and Portmellon car park); 2 x other theft (both under investigation in West Wharf); 2 x theft from the person (both under investigation in Jetty Street); 1 x drugs (under investigation in Jetty Street); 5 x anti-social behaviour (Leatfield , Chapel Street  and Battery Terrace);
- He had submitted a further representation to the Planning Inspectorate for the appeal against refusal of PA18/07894;
- He had reported an alleged breach of planning for stand-alone solar equipment in Battery Terrace;
- He had replied to CC’s consultation on the Draft Planning for Coastal Change Chief Planning Officers Advice Note;
- He had written to CC’s Affordable Housing Officer for clarification of Ocean’s proposed criteria for rented and shared ownership houses. He had forwarded the request to Ocean and their reply had been circulated;
- The external audit of the 2018/19 accounts was completed with no issues raised;
- A new kissing gate has been installed at the junction of the coast path with the spur down to Portgiskey beach;
- A letter was received from Cornwall Rural Housing Association with details of a vacancy at the Old School Flats, Gorran, and the accompanying poster had been displayed on the noticeboards;
- The #2minutelitterboard for The Kings Arms has been ordered and should be delivered this week;
- The public access defibrillator has now been installed outside Tea on the Quay.
- A card had been received from the Mevagissey Feast Week Committee thanking the Council for this year’s grant.
Agreed that the Clerk should write to Mrs. Brain at Tea on the Quay, thanking her for hosting the defibrillator.
6b. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that CC be asked to arrange for Steep House’s hedge to be cut back because it is obstructing the pavement. Carried.
6c. Cllr Facey asked that the minutes record the Council’s thanks to Anna Christie for spearheading the cleaning of the closed cemetery.
- The Ward Member was on holiday and his report was read out by the Clerk, including that:
- The white lines and virtual pavement in the village centre had been repainted;
- He has arranged for the guttering in Wesley Court and Meadow Street Flats to be cleared. This is two-thirds complete and the area has been tidied up;
- He has written to the Planning Inspectorate asking that appeals relating to sites in Ava and Portmellon (Lane End), are dismissed;
- His motion relating to better beach management was mostly adopted by Cornwall Council;
- The Mevagissey TROs (double yellow line schemes) would be implemented in October;
- The Community Action Group will be working in the Church Lane closed cemetery on Sunday 25 August at 12 noon. All volunteers are welcome.
The full report is on the Parish Council’s website.
- To consider Planning Applications.
8a. PA19/05756 : Listed building consent for replacement of ground floor kitchen window at rear side of house with double glazed hardwood sash window. 9 Bank Terrace Mevagissey PL26 6QZ
Proposed by Cllr. Simpson, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council supports the application. Carried.
8b. PA19/03836 : New layout for car park for four cars for flats 1, 2, 3 and 4 plus three sheds. Allocated space for bins and recycle containers (amended plans). Beach House Portmellon Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6PN
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the Council maintains its objection to the application because there remains a lack of convincing evidence regarding the practicalities of manoeuvring vehicles in and out of the proposed parking spaces. Carried.
8c. PA19/05491 : Retrospective Listed Building Consent to paint original stone rubble exterior with breathable masonry paint. Colour change from white to cream. Installation of secondary glazing (internally) to original sash windows using sash-style acoustic glass. 1 Jetty Street Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UH
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the application. Carried.
8d. PA19/06468 : Non Material Amendment for the Installation of Roof Solar Panels to Front Elevation of decision PA17/12093. Longpoint Chapel Point Lane Portmellon Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6PP Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Simpson that the Council objects to the application. Photo-voltaic slates were part of the approved scheme and this new proposal would create unacceptable harm to the South West Coast Path and the Roseland Heritage Coast, while not adding anything to the level of sustainability of the approved scheme. Carried.
8e. PA19/05311 : Submission of details to discharge conditions 5, 8 and 9 in respect of decision notice PA18/08553. Land Adjacent 38 Kiln Close Mevagissey PL26 6TP (further plans expected). Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council objects to the application. The recently submitted drawings contradict the original plans which showed the natural fall of the land such that retaining walls were not necessary at the south-eastern corner, and a change of this magnitude to the approved scheme requires a fresh application. Carried.
8f. PA18/09651 : Residential development comprising 26 units. Land At Vicarage Hill Mevagissey (latest update).
Proposed by Cllr. Gan, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Clerk should write to Ocean Housing and the LPA highlighting the errors in the recently produced Traffic Plan and insisting on a traffic impact assessment as required by the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP). Carried.
8g. PA19/01695/PREAPP : Pre application advice for Conversion to a single residential unit and two private parking spaces to the front. Mevagissey Cemetery Chapel Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6SY. Noted.
8h. An Appeal against Refusal has been made for the following: PA18/06586 : Outline application with some matters reserved for erection of one detached house. Park Cottage Portmellon Mevagissey PL26 6PL.
Proposed by Cllr. Simpson, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council makes a further representation to the Planning Inspectorate. Carried.
8i. To review planning enforcement cases: EN19/00832 : Alleged works not being carried out in accordance with approved plans. Steep House, Portmellon. This is still at Step 6 – working to find appropriate outcome.
EN19/01320 : Alleged installation of stand-alone solar equipment. 7 Battery Terrace. This is at Step 4 – investigations underway. Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that a breach of planning be reported against the dilapidated houses on Polkirt Hill.
8j. The following planning decisions have been received (included for information only):
PA19/03600 : Replacement of doors and windows with UPVC. 2 Polkirt Heights. APPROVED
PA19/05486 : Proposed extension with linking bridge to patio. 14 Summerfield Close. APPROVED
PA19/04138 : Listed building consent to paint the house with Ivory Stone paint. 38 Cliff Street. APPROVED
PA19/02738 : Replacement roof covering and change of flat roof area to pitched roof. Cheesewarne Farmhouse Mevagissey, and associated Listed Building Consent PA19/02739. WITHDRAWN
8k. The LPA had sought clarification of the Council’s response to PA19/05123. It was agreed that the Council’s position remained unchanged.
8l. Cllrs. Morgan and Florence left the meeting at this point.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||666.74|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||182.38|
|Operate Valley Road PC August 2019||£||978.54|
|Operate West Wharf PC August 2019||£||1,039.58|
|Extra attendance at West Wharf PC 20/07/19 – 10/08/19||£||690.00||(paid)|
|Coast Path 2nd cut||£||322.78||(paid)|
|#2minute litterpick board||£||438.00||(paid)|
|Valley Road PC hygiene services September-December||£||201.16|
|West Wharf PC hygiene services September-December||£||245.73|
|W. Wharf PC July waste collections||£||74.93|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||73,617.51|
|Expenditure last month||£||3,788.93|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||69,828.58|
|Available to spend||£||69,828.58|
|Bank Statements (01/08/2019)|
It was noted that the #2minutelitterpick board had been added since the agenda was published.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Blackmore that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Gann reported that an initial meeting about a particular site had taken place with a developer who intended making a pre-application, at which time common ground for progress will be sought.
- Cllr. Facey reported that the West Wharf disabled toilet was currently closed following damage.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Nathan that a grant of £1,000 be made to the Rowing Club to help with the proposed Mevagissey Sea Shanty Festival in October.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr.Whatty that the Council declares a climate emergency and that a working group be set up to progress changes to the NDP to develop policies accordingly. Carried.
The working group will comprise, in the first place, Cllrs. Shephard, Roberts, Facey, Whatty, Nathan, Blackmore, Gann and Simpson, with Cllr. Shephard as Chairman.
- It was agreed to make no response to CC’s consultation on Street Trading Policy.
- To consider requesting the removal of the pavement along the frontage of nos. 7-13 Fore Street (Cllr. Simpson).
Deferred to next meeting.
- The meeting ended at 9.45pm. Date of next meeting: 19 September 2019.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………