MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 19 December 2019 at 7pm
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Blackmore, J Daniel, M Facey, J Gann, J Morgan, G Shephard, P Simpson,
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (Ward Member), P Howson (Clerk), 2 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. Nathan, Hereward, Barron and Robinson.
- There were no declarations of interest or gifts.
- Terry Yeoman spoke on agenda item 7a (planning application for an extension to Rowards), focussing on the reasons for previous objections and his attempt to address these with the revised plans.
Dale Drake spoke on agenda item 17, asking for the Council’s support for the cost of replacement decking for which the preferred quote had been provided ‘at cost’.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Blackmore that the minutes of the meeting held on 21 November 2019 be accepted. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that agenda item 17 be brought forward and dealt with before Planning. Carried.
- To receive the Clerk’s report.
- The police website shows 8 crimes reported in October as follows: 4 x violence and sexual offences (under investigation in School Hill, Beach Road, The Cliff and West Wharf); 2 x other theft (under investigation in Penmeva View and Penwarne Lane); 1 x criminal damage and arson (unable to prosecute suspect in West Wharf); 1 x anti- social behaviour in Fore Street.
- Following receipt of a ‘5-day protocol’ letter from the LPA regarding PA19/08688 (Longpoint), 6 members voted to maintain the Council’s objection and the Ward Member has been asked to call the application in to committee for a decision;
- The Ward Member presented his report, including that:
- He met with CC officers to continue to push for a devolution package to include Kiers Carpark and expects a further meeting next month;
- He has secured some trees for Mevagissey School as part of the Forest for Cornwall and hopes to meet with the school in the new year to discuss where to plant them;
- He has reported a number of fallen trees along the road and footpath network for clearance;
- He thanked the Parish Council for their continued support over the past year and wished all a very Merry Christmas and a peaceful and prosperous New Year
The full report is on the Parish Council’s website.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that a grant of £1,500 be made to Little Nippers towards the cost of replacement decking. Carried.
- To consider Planning Applications.
9a. PA19/08522 : Proposed extension (revised plans). Rowards Chapel Point Lane Portmellon Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6PP
Proposed by Cllr. Blackmore, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the Council withdraws its previous objection subject to a condition that the reduced roof height, which is not scaled on the submitted plans, be no higher than the roof on the neighbouring property known as Tamar. Carried.
9b. PA19/09922 : Listed Building Consent for Repairs to Lawn House and boundary wall. Lawn House Church Lane Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6SX. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the application subject to the adoption of Option 2, ie a stone finish. Carried.
9c. PA19/10036 : Alterations to existing roof at Grade II listed house. Cheesewarne Farm Mevagissey PL26 6SA
Proposed by Cllr. Simpson, Seconded by Morgan that the Council supports the application subject to the views of the conservation officer. Carried.
9d. PA19/10037 : Listed Building Consent for Alterations to existing roof at Grade II listed house. Cheesewarne Farm Mevagissey PL26 6SA As above.
9e. PA19/10490 : Application for a non-material amendment (1) following grant of planning permission PA19/02994. Amendments sought -Revised parking area layout and revised pedestrian access. 18 Lower Well Park Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UZ
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council has no objection to the proposal. Carried.
9f. An update was provided on current planning enforcement cases.
9g. The following planning decisions have been received (included for information only):
PA19/08437 : Erection of single storey orangery to rear of property. 9 Polkirt Heights. APPROVED
PA19/07852 : Form decking and storage to infill void at rear of house. 4 Pentillie Way. APPROVED
PA18/09651 : Residential development comprising 26 units. Land At Vicarage Hill REFUSED
PA18/06586 : Outline application with some matters reserved for erection of one detached house.
Park Cottage, Portmellon. APPEAL AGAINST REFUSAL DISMISSED
9h. Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the minutes show that the claim by Gilbert & Goode, made in a written report, repeated in the Cornwall Council Chamber and recorded in the minutes of the Central Area Planning Sub-Committee Meeting dated 25th November 2019 (Item 5.1 page 4 point 5) , that the Parish Council had previously expressed a preference for the PA18/09651 application site was refuted by Minute 5a of the Parish Council’s meeting of 15 June 2006 which shows that this had been rejected in favour of the site now known as Shipbuilder Close. Carried.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||666.53|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||182.58|
|Mevagissey Activity Centre (room hire Mar – Oct 19)||£||260.00||(paid)|
|Mevagissey Telecottage (website services 2018/19)||£||370.00||(paid)|
|Mevagissey Christmas Lights Committee (grant)||£||500.00||(paid)|
|Operate Valley Road PC December 2019||£||978.54|
|Operate West Wharf PC December 2019||£||1,039.58|
|Valley Road PC electricity 01/10/19 – 01/12/19||£||251.08|
|West Wharf PC electricity 02/09/19 – 01/12/19||£||61.19|
|Valley Road PC water 01/09/19 – 03/12/19||£||1,453.02|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||98,721.78|
|Expenditure last month||£||4,065.79|
|plus donation to Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal||£||80.00|
|West Wharf PC door money||£||200.00||Received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||94,775.99|
|Available to spend||£||94,775.99|
|Bank Statements (01/12/2019)|
It was noted that the payment for Valley Road PC water costs had been added since the agenda was published.
Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Gann provided an update on the Community Land Trust.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr.Shephard that Cllr. Gann should draft a submission to the Planning Inspectorate regarding the Appeal against Refusal by Westcountry Land and circulate this for comments prior to submission by the Clerk. Carried.
- Cllr. Facey reported no issues arising from the operation of the public conveniences.
- The Council considered whether to close the West Wharf disabled toilet during the winter months and this will be considered again in February with respect to the next financial year.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that the Climate Emergency Working Group meets again in the New Year.
- Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that consideration of participation in the proposed 75th anniversary celebrations of VE Day co-ordinated by the SSAFA Armed Forces charity should be deferred pending further direction from recognised authorities. Carried.
- An approach had been made to a landowner regarding a possible site for allotment gardens and a reply awaited.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that a grant of £600 be made to the Mevagissey Activity Centre towards the cost of a storage container. Carried.
18 It was agreed that, before any decision could be made regarding a possible devolution agreement with Cornwall Council, a full disclosure of scope of works, current work schedules, cost breakdowns and current revenue should be provided. Cllr. Mustoe will progress this at his meeting next month with CC officers and will report back.
- The meeting ended at 9pm. Date of next meeting: 16 January 2020.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………