MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 21 June 2018 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Blackmore, J Daniel, J Gann, H Nathan, K Robinson, G Shephard, J Whatty.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe, (Cornwall Council [CC] Ward Member), Mr Andrew George (Director, Cornwall Community Land Trust), Mr Sam Mayou (CAD Heritage), P Howson (Clerk), 6 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. N Florence, J Morgan and M Facey.
- Cllr. Daniel declared an interest in agenda items 9e (5A Church Lane) and 9f (Curlews);
Cllr. Robinson declared an interest in agenda item 9d (Mevagissey Bay Hotel);
Cllr. Shephard declared an interest in agenda item 9a (Trevalsa Court Hotel).
- Mr Andrew George, Director of Cornwall Community Land Trust, presented the work of the Trust and answered questions from the Council.
- Public participation.
Mr John Stevenson spoke on agenda item 17, urging the Council to support a proposal to extend double yellow lines on both sides of Portmellon Park from the cove up to the far side of the bend, at least during the summer months.
Mr Sam Mayou of CAD Heritage spoke on agenda item 9b, summarising the approach taken by his client in wishing to honour the intentions of the architect of Chapel Point,
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Blackmore that the minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on 17 May 2018 be accepted. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Robinson that the minutes of the ordinary meeting held on 17 May 2018 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- The police website showed five crimes reported in April as follows: 2 x anti-social behaviour (Valley Road recreation ground and Portmellon car park), 2 x violence and sexual offences (Valley Park Lane and Portmellon Park), 1 x other theft (Chapel Street). It was also confirmed that the report last month of stolen items having been found in the victim’s garden was incorrect, and that the items were still unaccounted for;
- The Mevagissey Museum Committee thanked the Council for their contribution towards the cost of the display cabinet they are intending to have commissioned;
- CC have said they will no longer provide updates on the ‘untidy sites’ because of GDPR, and all public and consultee comments on planning applications are being removed from the planning register after 4 years because of GDPR:
- Privacy Notices have been added to the Parish Council’s website to comply with GDPR;
- A local resident had complained about the closure of what he claimed was a right of access to the wall overlooking Polstreath Beach at the northern end of Pentillie field and had asked the Council to register it as a right of way (the Council agreed that it would be unwise to encourage people to approach what was considered to be an unsafe viewpoint and declined to act on this).
- The Ward Member presented his report, including that:
- He was invited by the Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall’s office to attend the Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace in his capacity as our Cornwall Councillor;
- The speed monitoring results from Valley Road have been received. A permanent Vehicle Activated Sign could be funded via the Community Network Budget, although he had been advised that a temporary deployment may be more effective (he will obtain costings for these options);
- The CC Cabinet Member for Planning has provided further guidance on changes to planning enforcement arising from GDPR. Steve Double MP has written to the Minister to ask whether the changes were being applied correctly.
- Meanwhile a formal enforcement notice has been served on the owner of the solar panels above the harbour, although updates on this case and the outstanding ‘untidy sites’ cases have not been provided;
- Cormac have cut the B3273 between Pentewan and Mevagissey and have committed to cutting all green spaces before Feast Week;
- The Community Action Group has worked on the verges and flower beds on Valley Road;
- He was pleased to attend Mevagissey School’s 25th Anniversary event;
- The Boundaries Commission has published the draft findings of its review of divisional boundaries, with the proposed new division splitting Pentewan Valley Parish and including Mevagissey with suburbs of St Austell;
- He congratulated Cllr. Shephard and the NDP Steering Group for the landslide ‘yes’ result of the referendum for the Neighbourhood Plan.
- To consider Planning Applications.
9a. PA18/04406 : Change of use of managers accommodation to unfettered dwelling. Trevalsa Court Hotel School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TH. Cllr. Shephard withdrew for this item, having declared an interest.
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the Council objects to the application because the use of the building as ancillary to the hotel should not be changed; and because the proposed new access would exacerbate further an already dangerous junction. Carried.
9b. PA18/05148 : Interior and exterior alterations to dwelling including extensions and replacement garage. Chapel Point House Chapel Point Lane Portmellon Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6PR
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the application, conditional on all of the planned works being completed without deviation from the presented plans. Carried.
9c. PA18/05149 : Listed Building Consent for interior and exterior alterations to dwelling including extensions and replacement garage. Chapel Point House Chapel Point Lane Portmellon Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6PR
9d. PA18/04895 : Proposed rear decked balcony, guarding, external staircase and associated works to owner’s accommodation. Mevagissey Bay Hotel Polkirt Hill Mevagissey PL26 6UX.
Cllr. Robinson withdrew for this item, having declared an interest.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the Council has no objection. Carried.
9e. PA18/05280 : Proposed improvements to include replacement porch, two new windows, French doors, glazed roof and door to rear store and passage and Marley Cedral Lap cladding (grey/green). 5A Church Lane Mevagissey PL26 6SX. Cllr. Daniel withdrew for this and the following item, having declared an interest in both.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Robinson that the Council makes no objection, subject to the Conservation Officer’s views. Carried.
9f. PA18/05405 : Extension at first floor level to front and rear and a change of roof. Curlews Penwarne Lane Mevagissey PL26 6PF. Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr. Robinson that the Council objects to the application because the proposed roofline would be too high and the proposed windows too large. Carried.
9g. PA18/03516 : Non-material amendment to change sloping and vertical velux windows to a hipped dormer in respect of decision notice PA15/08801. Linden Lea Tregoney Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6RF
Note: this has been Refused – not acceptable as amendment.
9h. The following planning application decisions have been received (included for information only):
PA18/03374 : Demolish scullery and rebuild new shower room. Trevanna, Trevarth. APPROVED
PA18/03040 : Reduction in roof height level enabled by the removal of the small pitch roof on the front elevation, larch cladding to first floor and various other alterations. Curlews, Penwarne Lane. REFUSED
PA17/11588 : Construction of dwellinghouse and garage. Land North Of 22 Portmellon Park. REFUSED
PA18/02237 : Listed Building Consent for the replacement of rotten sash windows and front door with existing double glazed units replaced with single glazed. 2 Sea View Cottages Portmellon APPROVED
PA18/02818 : Resubmission of Approved Scheme PA14/00692 for 2 dwellings – Variation of design and replacement Steep House. Steep House, Portmellon Road. APPROVED
PA18/03872 : Listed building consent for repairs to boundary wall. Tea On The Quay, W. Wharf APPROVED
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||666.53|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||184.92|
|West Wharf PC electricity 02/03/18 – 01/06/18||£||57.91|
|Valley Road PC water 01/05/18 – 04/06/18)||£||267.78|
|West Wharf PC water 01/05/18 – 04/06/18)||£||626.65|
|Information Commissioner (GDPR data protection fee)||£||40.00|
|Coast Path maintenance (2nd cut)||£||302.92|
|Mevagissey Activity Centre (grant)||£||1,750.00|
|Jubilee Hall (grant)||£||1,750.00|
|Operate Valley Road PC June 2018||£||978.54|
|Operate West Wharf PC June 2018||£||1,039.58|
|Repair / maintain Wallgate units at Valley Road PC||£||532.55|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||74,863.82|
|Expenditure last month||£||5,443.98|
|plus Mevagissey Museum Society (grant)||£||500.00|
|From coin boxes at West Wharf PC||£||530.00||Received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||69,449.84|
|Available to spend||£||69,449.84|
|Bank Statements (01/06/2018)|
The addition of the PC operation costs and repairs to Wallgate units, not on the agenda, was noted. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Nathan that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) had passed the referendum by 9:1 in favour with a 32% turnout, since when there had been much media interest in the policy regarding second homes. The policies should guide future planning decisions by this Council and by the Local Planning Authority. Cllr Shephard thanked all who had voted in the referendum and all who had contributed to the development of the Plan.
- The Council considered the latest site layout for affordable homes proposed for Vicarage Hill, and the views and concerns expressed will be communicated to the developer.
- It was noted that the drains at West Wharf PC became blocked on 16 June and took 3 hours to clear, removing a large lump of concrete in the process. Thanks to Gary Farr for resolving this
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the quote received for the supply and installation of the new village map at four locations be approved. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that a donation of £300 be made to the Cornwall Air Ambulance’s appeal for help to buy a new helicopter. Carried.
- Consideration of a response to the Local Government Boundary Commission’s consultation on the draft recommendations for new divisions, division boundaries and division names for Cornwall was deferred to the next meeting.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the Council’s previous request for double yellow lines on Portmellon Park be amended to extend the lines on both sides of the road around the bend up to the next cul-de-sac, subject to consideration by the Highways Manager of the feasibility of providing a ‘staggered’ solution as an alternative; and that the Council agrees to the Highway Manager’s recommendation that the previous request for double yellow lines on School Hill be amended to include both sides of the road. Carried.
- Following discussion of planning policy and potential flooding at Portmellon, Cllr. Mustoe will arrange a site meeting between the Council and appropriate parties from Cornwall Council.
- The meeting ended at 9.40pm. Date of next meeting: 19 July 2018.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………