MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 17 May 2018 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Blackmore, J Daniel, M Facey, N Florence, J Morgan, J Whatty.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe, (Cornwall Council [CC] Ward Member), Sally Mitchell of Design Room, P Howson (Clerk), 2 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. G Shephard, J Gann, K Robinson, H Nathan, Julian Barron, T Barron.
- Cllr. Morgan declared an interest in agenda item 16 (Mevagissey Museum).
- Sally Mitchell of Design Room presented a full-sized mock-up of the latest version of the draft village map.
- There were no representations from members of the public.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the minutes of the meeting held on 19 April 2018 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
There had been 11 crimes reported to the police in March as follows: 3 x violence and sexual offences (offences in Penmeva View and Prospect Place under investigation, but unable to prosecute suspect in Sunny Corner car park), 4 x anti-social behaviour (Valley Road, Chapel Street, The Cliff and West Wharf), 1 x criminal damage and arson (under investigation in Prospect Place), 1 x public order offence (under investigation in Chapel Square), 1 x other theft (The Cliff, no suspect identified), 1 x other crime (under investigation in Portmellon car park).
- A police report had also been received from PCSO Julie Carpenter for the period 13/04/18 – 13/05/18 detailing a total of 5 reported crimes as follows: 2 x Common assault in Portmellon Park, 1 x Burglary with intent to steal in Valley Road (stolen items later found in garden), 1 x Theft (a milk churn decorated with a harbour scene taken from outside the Loft Bookshop) and 1 x drunk in charge.
- An expression of interest in the Community Network Highways Scheme and a list of potential Speedwatch sites have been sent to the Community Link Officer as agreed (The Chairman has application forms for anybody interested in volunteering for Speedwatch);
- Communication received from CC stating that to comply with the requirements of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) they will no longer be making public the details of planning enforcement cases except where a formal Enforcement Notice has been served; and that they will no longer provide updates on specific cases. Steve Double MP has written to CC to question this.
- The Clerk to the Harbour Trustees has asked whether a notice could be placed in the public toilets advising that any complaints should not be addressed to the harbour office (see minute 13c below).
- The Ward Member presented his report, including that:
- He was pleased to have pushed successfully for a refusal by the Central Planning Committee of the planning application on land north of 22 Portmellon Park, and thanked Cllr. Blackmore and resident Cherilyn Williams for helping make the case;
- He has arranged for the correction of highway defects at Pentillie;
- He arranged for Cormac to remove dangerous metal from the slipway at Portmellon while they were making repairs to the sea wall;
- He has received a reply from CC CEO Kate Kennally regarding the delayed referendum, which has cost CC an extra £8,000. Our MP is investigating further;
- He will be challenging CC’s decision to conduct planning enforcement cases behind closed doors, allegedly because of the new data protection regulations;
- He has secured the restoration of the No Entry sign by Central Café;
- He has obtained from South West Water the catchment data on the Mevagissey sewage system and forwarded this to the Chairman as requested.
- To consider Planning Applications and Enforcement.
8a. PA18/03374 : Demolish existing sub-standard scullery and rebuild new shower room to the same size in cavity blockwork with slate roof. Trevanna Trevarth Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6RX
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council supports the application. Carried.
8b. PA18/02980 : Proposed annexe. Kerryanna Valley Road Mevagissey PL26 6SA
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council supports the application. Carried.
8c. PA18/03872 : Listed building consent for repairs to boundary wall. Tea On The Quay West Wharf Mevagissey PL26 6UJ. Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council has no objection and endorses the recommendations of the Historic Environment Planning Officer. Carried.
8d. PA18/02438 : Conversion of an outbuilding to a self contained one bedroom apartment (annex). Penfose Trevarth Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6RX
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the Council has no objection. Carried.
8e. Appeal against Refusal: PA17/04737. Two storey extension to rear to form 3 flats. Pentillie House School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TQ. It was agreed that no further representation from the Council was necessary.
8f. The following planning application decisions have been received (included for information only):
PA18/01232 : Greenhouse, timber decking, balcony and steps to house. Seascape 1 Pentillie Way APPROVED
PA17/11678 : Low-energy architect designed dwelling. Former Seapoint House Hotel APPROVED
PA17/11320 : 14 new dwellings and change of use of land. Land North Of Moonfleet School Hill REFUSED
8g. The following Planning Enforcement cases have been closed with no breach found (for information only):
EN18/00423 : Alleged construction of decking and garden buildings. 32 Kiln Close
EN18/00595 : Alleged construction of swimming pool, garage and untidy site. 1 Higher Well Park
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||666.74|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||184.72|
|Valley Road PC hygiene services||£||223.44|
|West Wharf PC hygiene services||£||293.65|
|Mevagissey Feast Week Committee (grant)||£||500.00|
|Operate Valley Road PC May 2018||£||978.54|
|Operate West Wharf PC May 2018||£||1,039.58|
|Valley Rd PC water 05/04/18 – 30/04/18||£||135.99|
|West Wharf PC water 05/04/18 – 30/04/18||£||318.37|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||54,359.06|
|Expenditure last month||£||5,746.57|
|plus installation of soakaway at Valley Road PC||£||2,450.00|
|Little Nippers (grant)||£||1,000.00|
|Mevagissey Male Choir (grant)||£||350.00|
|St. Peter’s PCC (towards Tower & Spire printing)||£||350.00|
|From coin boxes at West Wharf PC||£||275.00||Received|
|Settlement of claim for storm damage at West Wharf PC||£||931.00||Received|
|Precept and CTS Grant (1st payment)||£||27,950.80||Received|
|Refund of 2017/18 VAT||£||1,244.53||Received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||74,863.82|
|Available to spend||£||74,863.82|
|Bank Statements (01/05/2018)|
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
10a. Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the 2017/18 Annual Accounts be approved. Carried
10b. Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the 2017/18 Accounting Statements be approved. Carried
- It was noted that the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) referendum would take place on 14 June, with polling at the Jubilee Hall. A public event would be held at the Jubilee Hall on Saturday 9 June when members of the NDP Steering Group would be on hand to answer questions.
- There was no update on affordable housing issues.
13a. A quote had been received for the provision of a lockable waste container to be emptied weekly at West Wharf PC. Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the quote was acceptable subject to the service being restricted to periods of the year when the toilets were open to the public, and that payment should be by means other than direct debit. Carried.
13b. A quote had been received for the repair of the low wall in front of West Wharf PC. The labour costs were queried and an alternative quote will be invited.
13c. Regarding the request from the Clerk to the Harbour Trustees (see minute 6 above), it was noted that signs were already displayed giving details of where to address complaints but thought would be given to rewording them.
- Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the new village map should be displayed at the four existing sites for a season, and their effectiveness monitored. Carried.
Cllr. Blackmore will progress this with the supplier and have costs for approval at the next meeting.
- Following discussion of the possible use of social media by the Council, it was agreed that the Council’s badge, including the website address, should be added to the new village map.
- Cllr. Morgan withdrew for this item having declared an interest.
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that a grant of £500 be made to the Mevagissey and District Museum Society towards the cost of a new display cabinet. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 8.40pm. Date of next meeting: 21 June 2018.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………