MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held as a virtual meeting
On Thursday 21 May 2020 at 7pm
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), M Facey (Vice-Chairman), J Blackmore, J Gann, L Hereward, J Morgan,
K Robinson, G Shephard, P Simpson, J Whatty.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (Ward Member), P Howson (Clerk), 1 member of the public. .
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. The meeting started at 7.10pm. There were no Apologies for absence. The Chairman announced that Teresa Barron had resigned from the Council on 25 April.
1b. Proposed by Cllr. Robinson, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the reason for the continued absence of Cllr. Florence be approved.
- There were no Declarations of Interest or Gifts.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the CALC Model Remote Meetings Protocol and Procedures as a Supplement to Standing Orders be adopted. Carried.
- Public participation. No member of the public wished to speak.
- Proposed by Cllr. Whatty, Seconded by Cllr. Robinson that the minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2020 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- It had been agreed on 25/03/20 to close the public toilets until further notice;
- An application was made on 04/04/20 for a Community Chest Crisis Scheme grant from Cornwall Council (CC) and £300 has been received;
- An application was made on 12/04/20 for a Western Power Division grant towards the work of the Community Support Group, and £4,840 has been received;
- It was agreed that site visits would not resume until CC considers it safe for its own officers to attend;
- The temporary mechanism agreed at the last meeting for handling planning consultations is now terminated.
- CC need to know this week whether this Council will take over responsibility for the recycling bank on Valley Road;
- The surgery have said that patients are struggling to find parking spaces because the free parking there means there are often no spaces available.
- A report from the Community Support Group had been received and forwarded to members.
- Matters arising from the Clerk’s report.
7a. Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Hereward that the Council takes over from CC the provision of the recycling banks for glass and cardboard for a trial period of one year. Carried.
7b. It was noted that CC plans to reimpose charges in their car parks from 1 June which should increase the number of spaces for visitors to the surgery.
7c. The Chairman expressed the Council’s profound gratitude for the work of the Community Support Group.
- The Ward Member presented his report which can be seen on the Council’s website.
- Planning and Enforcement.
9a. PA20/00869 : Listed building consent for various internal and external proposed works. 11 Tregoney Hill Mevagissey PL26 6RD. Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr.Robinson that the Council Objects to the submitted plans which are unclear about the requirements for dormer windows and solar tiles. Carried.
9b. PA20/00858/PREAPP : Pre application advice for Demolition of existing dwelling and construction of new apartments. Waterside Polkirt Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UX (not a consultation).
Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council would Object to this proposal should it become a full application. It would not be a suitable development for this location, there is not sufficient parking space for the number of apartments proposed, manoeuvring into and out of the parking area would be hazardous, more traffic through the village would be generated, surface water run-off would exacerbate the destabilising of the cliff, and a principal occupancy condition would be required for four of the apartments which are not big enough for permanent occupancy. Carried.
9c. Summary of planning consultations received since the last meeting and Council responses (for information only):
PA20/02210 : Construction of a terrace of three houses and a detached one and a half storey house, reconstruction of existing pedestrian access and adaption of existing car parking (previously approved under PA18/08553). Land Adjacent 38 Kiln Close Mevagissey PL26 6TP Objection.
PA20/02898 : Demolition of existing external steps for construction of hobby room extension with roof terrace and conservatory over. Alteration of rear roof plane for additional first floor internal space. Trewartha Trevarth Mevagissey PL26 6RX No objection.
PA20/02737 : Alterations and extension to form dining area and utility. Glen Lynn Tregoney Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6RF No objection.
PA20/02838 : Proposed annexe and first-floor extension. Highbury 5 Higher Lavorrick Mevagissey PL26 6TB
PA20/02830 : Roof alteration and summer house. 2 Higher Lavorrick Mevagissey PL26 6TB No objection
PA20/02171 : Partial demolition of unused barn and change of use to extend residential curtilage to accommodate the construction of an annexe for the applicants parents. Treleaven Farm, The Lodge Valley Road Mevagissey PL26 6SA Objection.
9d. To consider planning enforcement cases.
- i) Property 1 at Portmellon. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that a breach of planning should be reported.
- ii) Property 2 at Portmellon. Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that a breach of planning should be reported.
iii) PA15/03079 – Land North of Moonfleet, School Hill. Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that after 22 months of failing to enforce planning conditions a letter should be written to CC’s Head of Planning. Carried.
9e. The following planning decisions have been received (for information only):
PA20/00720 : Erection of conservatory and refurbishment of deck including addition to provide steps. 8 Polkirt Heights. APPROVED
PA19/10036/37 : Alterations to existing roof at Grade II listed house. Cheesewarne Farm. APPROVED
PA20/01207 : Construction of extension to create a new second floor bathroom. 51 Polkirt Hill. APPROVED
PA19/10659 : Conversion of Loft space with alterations to 1st floor to accommodate stair access. Increase in decking size to rear of property. 3 Coastguard Station Mall. APPROVED
PA20/01300 : Listed building consent for works to infill an existing window opening within lean-to extension to property. 3 River Terrace River Street. APPROVED
PA19/05282 : Variation of Condition 2 of PA15/10218 : to seek a variation to the repair of the outbuilding and seek variation to the design of the roof . 2 Church Lane. APPROVED
PA20/00127 : Discharge of conditions 4, 5 and 7 under PA18/10377 dated 20/03/2019 for the sub-division of the existing site and construction of a highly sustainable 2-bedroom dwelling. Nikaria Cliff Street. DISCHARGED
9f. The following planning appeal decision has been received (for information only):
PA19/01977 : Proposed cross-subsidy residential development comprising 7 dwellings (4 affordable), access and landscaping. The proposals include associated driveways, car parking and private gardens. Land East Of Mevagissey CP School Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6TD APPEAL DISMISSED
- To approve the monthly finances for April and May.
|Cornwall ALC membership renewal||£||754.10|
|Operate Valley Road PC April 2020||£||905.34|
|Operate West Wharf PC April 2020||£||941.50|
|Operational float for Community Support Group||£||200.00|
|West Wharf PC March waste collection||£||20.98|
|Valley Rd PC business rates 2020/21||£||785.93|
|Mevagissey FC grant for pitch cutting 2020/21||£||650.00|
|St Peter’s PCC grant for printing Tower & Spire||£||350.00|
|Mevagissey Activity Centre grant||£||1,750.00|
|Jubilee Hall grant||£||1,750.00|
|West Wharf PC water 05/03/20 – 31/03/20||£||124.41|
|Additional leaflet printing for Community Support Group||£||195.00|
|90 x hi-viz vests for Community Support Group||£||540.00|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||73,297.23|
|Expenditure last month||£||3,709.45|
|plus leaflet printing for Community Support Group||£||120.54|
|wood stain for memorial bench on East Wharf||£||15.00|
|200 x hand sanitisers for use by CSG||£||1,230.00|
|W Wharf PC water 04/02/20- 04/03/20 (amended bill)||£||17.03|
|Office costs (printing)||£||31.92|
|Mevagissey Bay Association (towards cost of public toilets)||£||5,000.00||Received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||73,208.04|
|Available to spend||£||73,208.04|
|Bank Statements (01/04/2020)|
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||970.74|
|West Wharf PC April waste collection||£||20.98|
|Operate Valley Road PC May 2020||£||905.34|
|Operate West Wharf PC May 2020||£||941.50|
|West Wharf PC water 01/04/20 – 30/04/20||£||62.32|
|Monthly subscription to Zoom (repaid to Clerk)||£||14.39|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||73,208.04|
|Expenditure last month||£||10,180.59|
|plus Valley Road PC water 05/03/20 – 31/03/20||£||194.40|
|additional leaflet printing for Community Support Group||£||50.00|
|weed control (1st treatment)||£||386.40|
|Precept and CTS grant (1st payment)||£||38,363.24||Received|
|Reclaimed VAT 2019-20||£||1,686.72||Received|
|Grant for cutting SWCP 2019||£||958.98||Received|
|Available to spend||£||103,405.59|
|Bank Statements (01/05/2020)|
Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Blackmore that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Robinson that the Annual Governance Statement be approved. Carried.
- Cllr. Gann reported that progress with the Community Land Trust had stalled, with key contacts having been furloughed.
- Cllr. Facey reported that the public toilets would remain closed for the foreseeable future because it would not be possible for users to maintain social distancing.
- Cllr. Whatty reported that the Climate Emergency Working Group would be holding a virtual meeting next week.
- The Clerk reported that the Council’s tender for land under auction at Vicarage Hill for use as allotments had been unsuccessful, with Savills explaining that the Glebe Committee wanted to let the lots as they were marketed rather than splitting them further. The search for suitable land continues.
- It was noted that the CQC Report into the Mevagissey surgery had been published, and a further inspection would take place six months after the first.
- Progress on a possible devolution package is on hold for the time being.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Hereward that the Council should provide free-standing street signage with a clear message to visitors regarding social distancing, and a supply of posters for local businesses to send the same message. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 9.10pm. Date of next meeting: 18 June 2020 (virtual meeting unless advised otherwise).
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………