Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St Mawes on Monday 5th November 2018. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.
Councillors Present: R Giles (Vice – Chairman), A. Chantrill, P. Farmiloe, S Goldsmith, P. Salter, P. Teague, C Thornton-Parr, K. Warren and C Williams.
Also present: H. Couch (Clerk), Julian German CC, and 6 members of the public
- To accept apologies for absence – Cllr Sadler (Chairman) & Cllr Hall
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation
A resident raised concerns over an area of land that has been tarmaced on the grounds of The Boathouse on the B3289. It was agreed to report this to Planning Enforcement for investigation. There are currently other investigations happening within the parish which updates will be received from Cornwall Council when completed.
A resident spoke about the current 24 hour road closure on Lower Castle Road from 5th November to 14th December inclusive. Clerk agreed to email details to all Councillors.
A representative from St Mawes Recreational Ground thanked the Councillors for all their support over the last 12 months and gave an update on their current workload. A grant has been submitted and this will be heard later in the meeting.
A resident raised concern over Tree Preservation Orders and work that has been completed to 2 Monterey Pine Trees. It was agreed that the Clerk would request that Tree Preservation Orders were made for the Beech and Lime Tree in Freshwater Lane and to ensure that the Monterey Pines were also covered. It was agreed that the Clerk would send photographs and raise concern about the damaged Monterey Pines to the Tree Preservation Officer.
A noise disturbance of a rope on a yacht was discussed and Cllr Farmiloe agreed to resolve the issue.
There are free Monterey Pines available for the use within the parish.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 1st October 2018.
Three amendments were requested by Cllr Farmiloe.
On Point 3, “Cllr Farmiloe proposed that for the minutes, the village of St Just in Roseland ought to be named St Just”.
On Point 10, “The Permits Cumulative Figure is £25,868.00”
On Point 12, “ Cllr Warren proposed to adopt the amended Lone Working Policy & Procedure”.
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes with the three agreed amendments of the 1st October 2018 meeting be approved, and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
Matters Arising: –
- Pot Holes in Harbour View – Cllr German updated that as this is an unadopted road it is the responsibility of the homeowners to do any maintenance to the road.
- Planning Meeting with Officers – Clerk to work with Cllr German to arrange a convenient date
- Community Emergency Plans – The Clerk updated that 2 payments of £100.00 has been applied for and agreed, as two plans are required as both villages have different requirements.
- Report from the Clerk – A verbal report was given, this report will be circulated to Councillors with minutes.
- Report from Cornwall Councillor – A verbal report was given.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
- Cllr Giles – Roseland Community Land Trust
- Cllr Teague – St Just in Roseland Institute – A copy of the final report by Wickstead was requested.
- Cllr Warren – Roseland Activity Centre Association
- Cllr Williams – St Just and St Mawes Heritage Group
- Correspondence (information only) – Noted
The Clerk was requested to obtain clarification about the email regarding EN18/01694 – Trecarrell.
- a) Cllr Warren gave a verbal update of the Planning Conference he attended with the Clerk at Penzance. 3 Councillors are due to attend the next one on Tuesday 11th December at St Austell.
Cllr Warren was unable to attend the Planning Partnership meeting but his comments regarding planting schemes has been forwarded for consideration.
- b) To consider Planning Applications received from Cornwall Council
30/31 – PA18/07974 & PA18/07975 – Amended Plans for 4 Kings Road, St Mawes – Rear extension, repairs and alterations
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council have inspected the plans in detail. We request that a condition is included that a conservation roof light must be used. We raise no other objection to this application.
32 – PA18/06601 – Land at Penperth Cottage, St Just in Roseland – Continued use of land as outdoor education centre with retention of associated buildings and structures –
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council have inspected the plans in detail.
- We note that this is a well screened site, and as we are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty we welcome this. We appreciate the car parking being in the field and it would be good to regulate this. We would ask you to consider the bins being relocated to the field and stored here, so that they are off the road away from the Welcome to St Just in Roseland sign which will enhance the countryside.
- We are unable to comment on the appropriate regulations of this planning application as we have been unable to do a site visit after several attempts
35 – PA18/08717 Shoal Cottage, 7 Chapel Terrace, St Mawes – Proposed rear extension and associated works and internal alterations
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council supports the application
36 – PA18/08935 – Haefen House, 1 Carrick Way, St Mawes – Application to reduce height of 5 Elm trees, along road, by 20ft and to cut back overhang into road
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council supports the application.
37 – PA18/08968 – Land East of Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes – Proposed residential development comprising 17 dwellings (10 affordable and 7 open market) for variation of condition 2 (approved plans) in respect of decision notice PA17/04451
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council have inspected the plans in detail. We are concerned that the change of vernacular stone walling to plastic bargeboards will be out of keeping with the other properties and does not link to the Carrick Design Guide or Roseland Character Guide. We raise no other objection to this application.
38 – PA18/09353 – 2 Milton Minor, 4 Church Hill, St Mawes – Listed Building Consent for proposed interior alterations to the property.
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council has no objections
39 – PA18/09180 – Miss V’s Cornish Cream Tea, St Just in Roseland – Proposed replacement tea room building, relocation of Pergola providing undercover external seating and installation of Sewage Treatment Plant
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council have inspected the plans in detail. We raise no objection to this application as we agree that the business is outgrowing its current facilities and is very popular to both locals and visitors. In our opinion the requested planning will enhance the facilities.
40 – PA18/09815 – Buckeys Mead, 10 Buckeys Lane, St Mawes – Proposed single storey extension –
- St Just in Roseland Parish Council have inspected the plans in detail. We support this application as it will be an enhancement to the property and all materials being used are matching existing.
41 – PA18/10063 – Lowenna, 2 Carrick Way, St Mawes – Works to four different trees; A Bay Shrub to be clipped and shaped to a ball, Elm tree’s to be pollarded, a Walnut tree and Strawberry tree to be shaped and reduced by 20%.
To consider the Local Council Protocol Letters received from Cornwall Council (and consultee comments from St Just in Roseland Parish Council)
12 – PA18/04731 – Highways, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – As I mentioned in a previous email, my council are split on this one. Therefore, please can we go for option 3 – Refer to Planning Committee.
To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
12 – PA18/04731 – Highways, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – Approved
19 – PA18/06187 – Land south of Commerrans Farm, St Just in Roseland – Withdrawn
27 – PA18/07659 – Public Conveniences, The Square, St Mawes – Approved
28 – PA18/08040 – Cobblestones, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – Approved
34 – PA18/08257 – White Lodge, 12 Pedn Moran, St Mawes – Approved
33 – PA18/07780 – Palm Cottage, St Mawes – Approved
35 – PA18/08717 – Shoal Corner, St Mawes – Approved
36 – PA18/08935 – Haefen House, St Mawes – Approved
To consider Enforcement cases referred to Cornwall Council
To note the decisions of the Enforcement Team
The Clerk was requested to ask for an update on EN18/01625 – Lowen Meadow
To consider any planning correspondence –
The Clerk was requested to arrange a convenient time for the St Just in Roseland Councillors plus Planning Sub Committee to hear the suggestions for Lower Tregorland.
- Accounts and Finance
- a) The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The Bacs were approved £15,729.00
Payments for ratification £ 1,046.45
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in October £ 9,919.33
Salaries for September paid on 30th October 2018 £ 4,126.53
Income shown as received during October £19,549.81
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr Salter and seconded by Cllr Chantrill. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) The council considered the monthly Car Park income for October 2018
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Oct 2018 comparable with 2017|
This includes £3,409.69 (gross) taken on card payments.
To receive report from the Finance Sub Committee
Report was circulated and no recommendations received.
To consider any recommendations relating to finance.
After receiving confirmation from our Solicitors, it was agreed to accept the Car Park Lease for St Mawes Car Park starting 1st April 2019 to 31st March 2034. Cllr Salter proposed. Seconded by Cllr Chantrill. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
The Clerk reported that a meeting had taken place with Cllrs Chantrill, Hall and Sadler and that an action plan had been put together with regard to the IT Infrastructure. Deferred to next meeting.
The Clerk requested that the Parish Council has its own banner, it was agreed to add this to the January Agenda for consideration.
It was agreed to refer the investigation into Electric Car Points to the Car Park Sub Committee.
Cllr Giles proposed that the parish council approves a donation of £150.00 for the Royal British Legion. Seconded by Cllr Chantrill. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
To consider any grant applications received
One application has been received from St Mawes Recreational Ground requesting £2037.34 to cover the annual insurance.
Cllr Giles proposed that the parish council approves the grant application of a £2037.34. Seconded by Cllr Salter. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Car Parks
A quote has been received for tree removal in St Mawes Car Park, this should be referred to the Car Park Sub Committee.
The next meeting is arranged for Wednesday 21st November 2018
- Highways Issues
Photographs were shown of the damage to the Heritage Post on the Quay. It was agreed that the Clerk request information from the Harbour Master to pursue a claim for damage. A quote for the repair to be requested from Parc Signs.
- WW1 Commemorations
St Mawes Memorial Tree – It is ready to be planted. The Clerk to arrange a convenient time and forward details to all Councillors.
St Just in Roseland Memorial Tree – Planted 5th November.
Commemoration Services to be held in the parish. Cllr Giles to represent the Parish Council and present the wreath.
- Any Other Urgent Business
No issues were raised
- December agenda items
The next meeting will be held on Monday 3rd December 2018 at 7pm in The Millennium Rooms
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.25pm
Signed as a true record……………………………………..Chairman Cllr. B Sadler