Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St Mawes on Monday 4th November 2019. The meeting commenced at 5.00pm.
Councillors Present: R Giles (Chairman), A. Chantrill, P Farmiloe, S Goldsmith, R. Hall, B Sadler, P. Salter, P Teague and K Warren.
Also present: H. Couch (Clerk), J.Masters (Assistant Clerk) and 3 members of the public
- To accept apologies for absence – Cllr Williams, Julian German CC
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation
A resident raised concern over the frapping noise which can be heard in areas of St Mawes. After a discussion it was agreed that it should be reported to Cornwall Council and copied to the Boatyard. To raise awareness of this issue a general article should be included in the Roseland Magazine.
It was reported that a previous member of staff has passed away, the Clerk was requested to record our condolences with the family on behalf of the Parish Council.
A resident provided pictures of the clogged drench that is beside the area that was overgrown in Upper Castle Road, that has recently been cut by Cornwall Council following our request. The Clerk was requested to contact Cornwall Council with the new information.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 7th October 2019.
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 7th October 2019 meeting be approved, with one amendment of the word “road” being inserted after Upper Castle on item 3, Open Period.All in favour and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
Matters arising – It was reported that the Roots to Wander grant application has been withdrawn.
- Report from the Clerk (Appendix 1) – A verbal report was given, this report will be circulated to Councillors with minutes. Congratulations were given to the Clerk for obtaining her CILCA qualification and Assistant Clerk for receiving an award from Churchill Services for going above and beyond in his other job.
- Report from Cornwall Councillor – Cllr German was unable to attend due to other commitments but confirmed if there were any issues please let him now. Details of a house currently available for bidding in St Mawes was given.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
- Cllr Goldsmith – Roseland Activity Centre Association – Charity status has been achieved.
- Cllr Goldsmith – REACT
- Cllr Teague – St Just and St Mawes Heritage Group
- Cllr Chantrill – Planning advisory meeting
- Correspondence (information only – Appendix 2) – Noted
St Mawes Art Group – It was agreed for the Clerk to contact and discuss options for their anniversary celebration.
Questions regarding housing allocation was raised and the Clerk to obtain advice and guidance from Cornwall Council.
- Planning (Appendix 3)
- a) Decisions of Planning Sub Committee for Applications
- PA19/07459 – Cassiobury, 1 Newton Park, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/07481 – Newton Farm Cottage, Newton Road, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/08811 – Barn North East of Messack House, St Just in Roseland – Objection
- PA19/07438 – Penmark, Polvarth Road, St Mawes – Objection
- PA19/08284 – 10 Sea View Crescent, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/07663 – Moon Tides, Penruan Lane, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/08265 – Sunnybanks, Trelawney Road, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/08603 – Teg Dowr, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/08613 – The River House, Sea View Crescent, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/08308 – Carricknath, Sea View Crescent, St Mawes – Objection
- PA19/08767 – Carvinack Farm, St Just in Roseland – No application required
- PA19/07871 – Sunny Corner, St Just in Roseland – No objection
- PA19/09016 – Morlenwel, 27a Tredenham Road, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/08482 – River in Roseland, 27 Tredenham Road, St Mawes – No objection
- PA19/09213 – Cornerways – Trelawney Road, St Mawes – No objection
Decisions of Planning Sub Committee for Local Council Protocol Letters
- PA19/06191 – Spinnakers, 1 Pedn Moran, St Mawes – Request Full Committee
Concern was raised over the protocol regarding how applications are decided. Protocol information explaining the process was provided to Councillors.
b) Decisions of the Planning Authority
- PA19/06760 – Sea Lanes, Penruan Lane, St Mawes – Approved
- PA19/07565 – River in Roseland, 27 Tredenham Road, St Mawes – Withdrawn
- PA19/07456 – Long Commons, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes – Approved
- PA19/07459 – Cassiobury, 1 Newton Park, St Mawes – Approved
- PA19/07481 – Newton Farm Cottage, Newton Road, St Mawes – Approved
- c) Enforcement cases
EN2057 – Land West of Tregorland, St Just in Roseland – Case Closed by Cornwall Council.
Concern was raised over current enforcement cases and the time that they are taking to be resolved.
- d) To discuss planning responses to Cornwall Council
A detailed discussion took place regarding our responses and the Clerk explained that the resolution was key to the response. If an objection, then it should be worded in a way to allow a more detailed explanation to be sent to Cornwall Council. The key points should be always be stated.
An explanation from Cornwall Council regarding Permission in Principle was provided.
- e) Roseland Cluster Meeting
No update was required.
Communication has been received from Friends of Pendower Beach; there is an AGM on the 14th November at 8pm. The Clerk was requested to write to request to be informed of any future development.
- Accounts and Finance (Appendix 4)
- a) The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The Bacs were approved £ 6,363.82
Payments for ratification £ 0.00
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in October £ 13,054.26
Salaries for October £ 3,176.11
Income shown as received during October £ 26,113.64
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr Salter and seconded by Cllr Chantrill. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) The council noted the monthly Car Park income for October 2019
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Oct – 18||13,114.30||171,036.40||2300.00||28,528.00||199,564.40|
|Oct – 19||12,142.05||169,245.05||375.00||36,537.00||205,782.05|
|Oct 2019 comparable with 2018|
This includes £5,923.50 (gross) taken on card payments.
- c) To consider any recommendations relating to finance
The Clerk provided a verbal update on the current Street Cleansing Contract. Following advice the Clerk will negotitate an extension with Churchill Services for six months to enable us to be in a better position to tender for a future contract.
- d) To consider any grant applications received
St Mawes Recreational Ground Committee; Annual Insurance – £2298.39.
Cllr Salter proposed that St Mawes Recreational Ground Recreational Committee be awarded a grant of £2298.39. Seconded by Cllr Chantrill. All in favour by a show of hands.
St Mawes Harbour Lights and Fireworks Committee; Storage in the Millennium Rooms – £350.00
Cllr Chantrill proposed that St Mawes Harbour Lights and Fireworks Committee be awarded a grant of £350.00. Seconded by Cllr Giles. All in favour by a show of hands.
- a) Resurfacing
The Clerk gave an update that work was scheduled to start tonight and further updates would be provided on social media and emails. Daily conversations are planned with Cormac to ensure the latest information is available.
- b) Roseland Community Land Trust
A verbal update was given by Cllr Giles, who had attended a meeting with the Clerk about the future plans of the Roseland Community Land Trust. A detailed discussion followed about housing need in the parish, requirements for a second car park and funding options for the Parish Council.
Cllr Goldsmith proposed that the Parish Council are minded to do everything in our power to assist the Roseland Community Land Trust and support the propostion of purchasing the land. Cllr Giles seconded.
Voting – 9 For, 1 Against.
- c) Any other issues
The Clerk updated that Mitchell Developments have been in contact requesting our solicitors information.
- a) Environment Sub committee
Cllr Goldsmith gave an update on the work being done by the REACT team.
- b) Any other issues
Concern has been raised that there is CCTV pointing onto the road at Tredenham Road which is against regulations, Clerk was asked to advice developers.
- Parish Councillor Vacancy
After a long discussion it was agreed that the applications should be in writing by letter or email. All applications should be received by 1st December. Clerk to work with Cllr Sadler on the advert. It is hoped to co-opt on the next full council meeting on Monday 2ndDecember.
- Christmas Festivities
- a) Carols in the Castle
Clerk updated about the arrangements already made. After a discussion, the Roseland Community Land Trust was suggested as the local charity for this year. Cllr Giles abstained. All agreed, Clerk to contact.
- b) Christmas Get together
It was agreed that the Clerk would organise a get-together for all Councillors, staff, volunteers and contractors. It would be on Friday 20th December between 12-2pm and catering would be provided. Invites would be sent by the Clerk.
- Any Other Urgent Business
- Next agenda item
The next meeting will be held on Monday 2nd December 2019 at 7.00pm in the Millennium Rooms, St Mawes. There being no further business, the meeting closed at 6.45p.
Signed as a true record……………………………………..Chairman Cllr. R Giles