Roseland Online has had reports of readers having problems with ‘mystart.incredibar‘ (a form of malware, spyware or virus) which replaces your existing internet browser home page, error page, or search page with its own.
Incredibar has been found to be used for tracking user’s activity on the Internet. It can redirect victims to insecure websites and also can make some unwanted modifications that can hardly be fixed without the expert’s help.
What it does: Once installed, Incredibar is programmed to hijack all popular browsers, like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. That results in continuous redirections to the domain mystart.incredibar.com.
Unfortunately it also changes bookmark lists by adding various sites you have never seen before and replaces the start page to the same mystart.incredibar.com. However, the most dangerous thing about Incredibar is that it collects all information about victim’s activity on the Internet, logs every visited site, and sends this data out to marketing companies.
Below are the ways to remove it if you are having this issue. Although not complicated, if you’re not confident in dong this yourself, ask a computer technician or someone who is a little more familiar with computers than you are.
1. Click ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’ icon -> go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Extensions’ -> Select ‘IncrediBar” and anything what could be related to Incredibar: Incredibar Toolbar, Games EN Toolbar API Server, Incredibar Music Toolbar, Incredibar.com Helper Object, Web Assistant and similar. Remove them.
2. Click ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’. Select ‘Settings’ -> ‘Manage search engine’ and choose ‘Google’, ‘Bing’ or other to make it your default search engine. Don’t forget to remove MyStart Search.
3. Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar -> go ‘Settings’ and select ‘Show Home’ button under the ‘Appearance’ tab. Change the startpage.
1. Open IE -> go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Manage Add-ons’ -> ‘Search Providers” -> choose ‘Bing’ or other search engine to make it your default web search provider. Also remove MyStart Search, Incredibar Search and anything what is related to Incredibar: Incredibar Toolbar, Games EN Toolbar API Server, Incredibar Music Toolbar, Incredibar.com Helper Object, Web Assistant and similar.
2. Go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Internet Options’ -> ‘General tab’ -> enter your own start page, like google.com instead of http://mystart.incredibar.com. Click OK to save the changes.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox -> go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Add-ons’ -> ‘Extensions’ and remove IncrediBar* toolbar. Close the window.
2. Launch Mozilla Firefox -> click on the magnifying glass -> ‘Manage Search Engines…’ -> click on MyStart by Incredibar, Games EN Toolbar API Server, Incredibar Music Toolbar, Incredibar.com Helper Object, Web Assistant and similar -> ‘Remove’ -> OK to save changes.
3. Go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Options’ -> change the homepage under the ‘General’ tab. Then, in the URL address bar, type about:config and click ‘Enter’ -> select ‘I’ll be careful, I promise!’ -> type mystart in the ‘Search’ section. Now you should see the preferences that were changed by IncrediBar toolbar. Right click on every preference and select ‘Reset’.