175g Self Raising Flour
175g Light Soft Brown Sugar
175g Cornish Butter or Margarine
3 Medium Free Range Eggs
1 1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
3 tsp Ground Ginger
4-5 tbsp Brandy
1 cup of Cornish Honey
Grease proof paper/baking parchment
· Preheat your oven to 160oC (fan assisted).
· Warm the brandy in a pan on the hob and bring to the boil, cooking it until the liquid is reduced by about half. Set aside to cool.
· Combine the butter and caster sugar together in a mixing bowl, stirring briskly until the mix is pale and smooth.
· Beat three eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy, then add the brandy to the eggs and mix well. Slowly add the egg and brandy mixture bit by bit to the butter and sugar and combine.
· Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and fold in gently until the ingredients are fully combined and your mixture is smooth.
· Stir in the honey. Transfer your cake mix to a cake tin lined with baking parchment.
· Bake in the oven for approx 25 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and just firm to the touch on top. To be sure, place a skewer or sharp knife in the centre of the cake, if it is clean when you pull it out then the cake is done.
· Once cooled, slice and and serve with a dollop of Cornish clotted cream!