MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 20 October 2016 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), T Barron, A Chesterfield, J Daniel, N Florence, M Facey, J Morgan, K Robinson, G Shephard, J Whatty.
In Attendance Sandra Beardsmore (Chair of School Governors), Craig Rowe and Mike Jeffs (Ocean Housing / Gilbert & Goode), Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), P Howson (Clerk), 6 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. J Arthur, J Barron, D Speed and PCSO Julie Carpenter.
- Cllr. Barron declared an interest in items 12b and 12d (planning applications PA16/08593 and PA16/08250).
Cllr. Facey declared an interest in item 12a (planning application PA16/08455).
- Police Report received from PCSO Julie Carpenter for the period 15/09/16-18/10/16 detailing a total of 6 crimes as follows: 1 x depositing waste without an environmental permit (at Portmellon beach carpark – enquiries ongoing), 1 x possession of cannabis (detected), 1 x report of offensive communication, 1 x common assault, 1 x drunk in charge (detected), 1 x criminal damage to property (at the MAC – undetected). In addition, police responded to a report of a 12-year-old being hit by a bus, causing grazing and bruising; two ‘hit and runs’, one on Beach Road and the other in River Street; and a 75 year old man lost in the woods between Mevagissey and Heligan Woods holiday park, who was found safe and well.
- Sandra Beardsmore, Chair of the School Governors, had hoped to introduce Stewart Gynn, the new interim head teacher, but in his absence she reported that he was here for the duration of this school year, and they would be advertising in January for a permanent head teacher.
- Craig Rowe and Mike Geoffs of Ocean Housing / Gilbert & Goode presented draft proposals for an affordable housing development at the top end of Tregoney Hill, and took questions from members.
- Dog Control Order (Portmellon Beach) Enforcement Report received stating that there had been no incidents, and that “this year has proved to be very successful with very nice positive comments from local people and visitors staying close to the beach”.
- Public participation. Mr Paul Dorman spoke regarding agenda item 12d (planning application PA16/08250), stating that this would be for family use only and that neighbours had been consulted with no objections received.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the minutes of the meeting held on 15 September be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- an update to the ‘untidy sites’ initiative reported that the planning agent for Tall Trees would be contacted to establish the proposed work schedule, the remaining elevations of Riverside Flats were to be cleaned on 27 October, works are expected to start on 11 Polkirt Hill mid-November, and work on 17 Polkirt Hill had completed and the case closed;
- the planning inspector for the Pentillie House appeal against refusal was scheduled to visit the site on 1 November, although this will not be a public meeting;
- following an audit of the footpath network, all stiles and gates would be added to the cutting schedule next year;
- the Annual Audit Return for 2015/16 had been received and was available for public inspection.
There was a general view amongst members that the enforcement cases for nos. 15 and 17 Polkirt Hill had been closed prematurely. Cllr. Mustoe agreed to take this up.
- The Ward Member reported that:
- Improvements to Valley Road and Pentillie playgrounds have started and are ahead of schedule. Cutting vegetation at Valley Road has been added to winter maintenance schedule.
- Overgrown vegetation on wall at top of Polkirt Hill will be cut back in January.
- Ocean Housing has tidied up the communal area at Wesley Court and are costing a gate to prevent fly-tipping. Cormac have agreed to trim the weeds.
- A local business caught fly-tipping on the war memorial garden has been issued with a formal letter of warning. They face a fine for a repeat offence.
- Working with residents, untidy land has been cleared at Shilley Alley Op, West Wharf steps, and land and steps between River Street and Tregoney Hill, as well as ongoing work on War Memorial. More work planned for green space above The Cliff and various sites along Valley Road.
- He reported leaking drains affecting Valley Road, which were fixed the following day.
- He reported a faulty street light on Church Lane caused by a burnt out cable, which is being replaced,
- The pipes causing leaks near Tregiskey Crossroads will be replaced in November.
- He is chasing Royal Mail regarding replacement of the post box which was removed from the old Post Office.
Cllr. Mustoe left the meeting at 8pm
- To receive Correspondence.
- Letter from Cornwall Council (CC) requesting details of responsibility for the maintenance of the bus shelter on the Valley Road. The Clerk replied that the Parish Council was not responsible and they should update their records.
- Letter from CC Property Services advising of their intention to dispose of the freehold interest in the East Wharf toilet block. Clerk to reply that it should be restored to its original purpose,
- Letter from Tanya’s Courage Trust, a St Austell-based charity ‘supporting young people with cancer’, requesting financial support. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that £200 be donated. Amendment moved by Cllr. Robinson, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that this should be £100 in line with previous practice. Amendment and substantive motion carried. A cheque will be issued at the next meeting.
- To consider Planning and Licensing Applications.
12a. PA16/08455 : Single storey modern dwelling. Land East Of Valley House And North Of Tregenza Church Lane Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6RZ. Cllr. Facey left the meeting for this item, having declared an interest.
Proposed by Cllr. Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council objects to the proposal, considering it to be an overdevelopment of the site, to be out of keeping within the Conservation Area, and to be an infringement of the privacy of the neighbouring properties. Carried.
12b. PA16/08593 : Proposed replacement living room extension, ground floor garden room extension, replacement of flat roof to pitched roof to new kitchen area. Proposed new balcony to first floor. East Paddock School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TH. Cllr Barron left the meeting for this item, having declared an interest.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council has no objections. Carried.
12c. PA16/08750 : Retention of existing building as a permanent residential dwelling together with minor alterations to the elevations/external areas. Compass Point Polkirt Hill Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UX.
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the original approval for this property was for provision for holiday lets, not for a permanent residence, and the Parish Council objects to this attempt to circumvent the planning system. Carried.
12d. PA16/08250 : Replace existing garage with new annexe. Pondokie School Hill Mevagissey PL26 6TH.
Cllr Barron left the meeting for this item, having declared an interest.
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council objects to this proposal in its current form, and would like to see modifications to address the concerns of the neighbouring property owner. Carried.
12e. PA16/09039 : Retention of existing commercial use to ground floor, and provision of three flats to first, second and third floors. Retention of existing external elevations without change. The Post Office 3 St Georges Square Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UB. Proposed by Cllr. Robinson, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council supports the proposal, but asks for a condition to be attached to any approval to ensure that the ground floor is made available as a viable retail unit prior to further work being undertaken. Carried.
12f. PA16/09040 : Listed building consent for retention of existing commercial use to ground floor, and provision of three flats to first, second and third floors. Retention of existing external elevations without change. The Post Office 3 St Georges Square Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6UB. The resolution at 12e above applies.
12g. PA16/08365 : Submission of details to discharge conditions 3, 4, 6, 8 and 9 in respect of decision notice PA15/03079 (allowed at appeal). Land North Of Moonfleet School Hill Mevagissey Cornwall (NOTE: this is not a consultation).
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Chesterfield that the Council notes that the Construction Traffic Management Plan states that no deliveries will be made between 8.30 – 9.00 and 15.00 – 15.30. This concession to the safety of children attending the local school is welcome, but it takes no account of parents leaving the school after delivering their children, or making their way to the school to collect them, often accompanied by other, pre-school children; and therefore requests that these times be extended accordingly. Carried.
12h. The following Planning Applications have been Approved (included for information only):
- PA16/03326 : Replacement dwelling. The Chart Room, Coastguard Station Mall.
- PA16/07607 : Carport with first floor office and bedroom. The Ashes, Tregoney Hill.
- PA16/07126 : Listed building consent for various works. 15 Tregoney Hill.
- PA16/07551 : Balcony increased and door window alterations. Penolva, Chapel Point Lane, Portmellon.
- PA16/06090 : Conservatory. Mevagissey Activity Centre.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||647.37|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||207.67|
|Valley Rd. PC maintenance July-August 2016||£||351.80|
|Valley Rd. PC September cleaning||£||912.62|
|Weed spraying (second spray)||£||360.00|
|Cruse Bereavement Care (grant)||£||100.00|
|Valley Rd. PC water charge September 2016||£||473.87|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||33,528.00|
|Expenditure last month||£||4,727.12|
|Precept & CTC Grant (Part 2)||£||28,009.28||received|
|Toilet fund contributions||£||1,950.00||received|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||58,934.63|
|Available to spend||£||58,763.03|
|Bank Statements (01/10/2016):|
(The addition of the audit fee, not shown on the agenda, was noted).
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that a meeting of the Neighbourhood Development Plan Steering Group would be convened in November.
- Cllr. Florence reported that the Affordable Homes Working Group had been suspended pending the outcome of the Housing Bill. Ocean Housing now had two possible sites under consideration, one at the top of Tregoney Hill and the other on Vicarage Hill, but would not progress both concurrently. The Clerk will ask for a copy of the Homechoice Register and circulate to members.
- Cllr. Facey reported that there had been no issues with the operation of the Valley Road public toilets during the last month. He will be obtaining quotes for provision of channelling to divert rainwater away from the building.
- Cllr. Facey reported that he and Cllr. Daniel will be meeting with the RNLI on 25 October to agree improvements to public rescue equipment at Portmellon. No advice had been forthcoming from the Mevagissey Coastguard.
- The contents of the draft Cornwall Site Allocations Development Plan, Preferred Options (Regulation 18) were noted.
- The contents of the draft Local Government Finance Settlement 2017-18 (local council capping) were noted.
- The latest version of the Mevagissey Open Spaces Study was noted, without further comment.
- The Chairman provided feedback from the Police Liaison Meeting held on 4 October, which was mostly concerned with cuts to budget and manpower. However, recruitment is proceeding to replace PCSOs recently retired or moved on, although permanent replacements are unlikely to be seen before the new year.
- The Chairman had received a proposal from an ex-pat living in Brittany to consider developing a twinning relationship with La Roche Bernard. Cllr. Whatty offered to pursue this on behalf of the Council.
- Cllr. Morgan reported that her proposal to create a working party for tidying Ropewalk and the surrounding area had already been picked up by the Ward Member as part of his ongoing work with volunteers.
- There were two applicants for the Councillor vacancy following the resignation of Shirley Hrydziuszka and, following a ballot, Helen Nathan was co-opted to the Council.
- The meeting ended at 9.45pm. Date of next meeting: 17 November 2016.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………