Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St. Mawes, on Monday 7th November 2016. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm
The Chairman Cllr. B. Chenoweth, Cllrs. J. Benney, Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler, P. Salter,
- Teague, K. Warren and C. Williams
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk) and 3 members of the public
- To accept apologies for absence – Cllr. S. Black and Cornwall Cllr. J. German,
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation
Mrs. D. Croft, Treasurer of St Mawes Recreation Ground Committee requested that the Parish Council considers funding the annual Insurance.
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 3rd October 2016
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 3rd October 2016 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman.
- Matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda – for report only
The Assistant Clerk has had no time yet to look further into the Parish Council’s website, www.stjustinroselandpc.com.
- Report from the Clerk
The Clerk reported that the Parish Council will need a representative at the Remembrance Service next Sunday, as Cllrs. Chenoweth, Sadler and Warren are all away. Cllr. Salter kindly agreed to represent.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – No report received
- Report from Cornwall Councillor – No report received
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
St Just in Roseland Institute – Cllr. Teague reported that the AGM has been held and an extra Committee member elected. A new lawn mower has been purchased and he is currently cutting the grass himself but any help would be gratefully appreciated.
St Just and St Mawes Heritage Group – Cllr. Williams reported that the group will be holding a St Mawes Day celebration on November 18th at St. Mawes Church to coincide with the dedication of the refurbishment of the Church
AGENDA ITEMS (for decision and discussion)
10a. Accounts and Finance (Appendix 1)
- i) To consider Income and Expenditure for October and approve the payments of accounts
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The total cheques numbered 7071 to 7080 (7081cancelled) were approved £ 7, 428.87
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in October £ 8, 920.10
Salaries for October paid by FPO and transfers 1st November 2016 £ 3, 498.37
Cheque payments paid since the last meeting £ 20.00
Income shown as received during October £21, 983.84
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr. Sadler. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- ii) To consider a donation for the Remembrance Sunday (13th November) wreath under Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972
Cllr. Williams proposed a donation of £120 to the Earl Haig Fund to include the Parish Council’s wreath. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
iii) To consider a donation to the St Mawes Harbour Lights Committee in lieu of storage Section 145 of the Local Government Act 1972
Cllr. Salter proposed a donation of £350, half the annual cost of the storage, in view of the benefit the display of lights gives to the whole community. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- iv) To consider the request from the Roseland Plan Steering Group for financial support towards administration costs for the financial year 2016/17
Cllr. Hall proposed, in principle, a donation of £190 to the Roseland Steering Group for financial support towards administration costs for the financial year 2016/17, subject to an acceptable statement of accounts. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- v) To consider the request from the St Mawes Recreation Ground Committee to support the funding of its insurance policy with Zurich Municipal
Cllr. Sadler proposed to approve the funding of £2,008.57 as a donation to the St Mawes Recreation Ground for its annual insurance premium to Zurich Municipal under section 19 of the Local Government Act 1972 as the Recreation Ground is a valued asset of the community and the land is registered in the Parish Council’s name. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- vi) To consider the request from the Roseland CLT to support the funding of the Public Liability Insurance on plots 7 & 8 Trevenell Close, St Just in Roseland – on-going
10b. Finance Committee (Appendix 2)
To consider the report and recommendations from the Finance Committee meeting on 31st October 2016
The Chairman to the Finance Committee, Cllr. Hall reported on the meeting, highlighting the following;
(6. Completion of Audit year end 31st March 2016)
The Finance Committee had considered the certificate and report by the External Auditor, Grant Thornton in the completed Annual Return for minor adjustments to be made next year which does not affect the financial outcome for the year ended 31st March 2016.
(7. VAT and 8. Scribe Accounting System)
Cllr. Hall explained that these two items related to one issue and were taken together. The Scribe system can produce a first draft of the annual accounts very simply but, to do this, it is important that the opening figures in Scribe are brought into alignment with the audited accounts. This has largely been undertaken, but there are discrepancies in the VAT balance which are being investigated. Once this has been done, it should then be possible to tie the figures through to the audited accounts.
- Car Park (Appendix 2)
- i) To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Oct-15||11, 814.95||149, 546.65||2, 130.00||22, 650.80||172, 197.45|
|Oct-16||15, 008.35||172, 178.66||2, 150.00||25, 094.00||197, 272.66|
|Oct 2016 comparable with||Oct 2015|
|Up||3, 193.40||22, 632.01||20.00||2, 443.20||25, 075.21|
Including £1,856.50 gross on card payments
- ii) To receive an update on the credit card payment facility
The total payments received by credit/debit cards since the installation in late July was £6, 526.22 gross.
iii) To further consider the clearance of the main drains at the top of the car park
The Clerk is waiting to meet Dave Vincent, Cormac Operations Manager, to assess the main storm drain.
Roseland Gig Club has enquired if they can park one gig either in front of Bohella Bar or the RVC from December to March due to them having to walk up to the top of the car park in the dark/rain. It was agreed to keep the two bottom spaces in the centre of the car park free for them. This matter was deferred to the Clerk to respond.
- St Mawes Public Conveniences
- a) To receive an update on the payment system
The total income received on the payment system since the installation was £3,720.55.
- b) To consider the expression of interest proposed for an Oyster Bar by Philleigh Way
The Clerk has responded to Philleigh Way explaining that it is too early to make a decision on the future of the St Mawes Public Conveniences as the Parish Council has only just taken over the property, but their interest has been noted.
- i) To consider decisions and recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting – no meeting held
- ii) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA16/07704 and 41. PA16/07703 – 1 Chapel Terrace, St Mawes – Listed Building Consent for a side extension and minor internal alterations – considered by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Salter – objection – agree to disagree
- PA16/08527 – Puffin Cottage, 4a Chapel Terrace, St Mawes – replace and upgrade windows and doors – considered by Cllr. Chenoweth, Giles and salter – no objection
- PA16/09140 – 10 Tredenham Road, St Mawes – proposed replacement first floor extension and porch – considered by the Planning Committee. Cllr. Salter declared an interest – no objection
- PA16/06286 – Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes – Change of use from storing agricultural trailers to boat trailers on part of field – under consideration by Cllrs. Chenoweth, Giles and Farmiloe – awaiting additional information
- PA16/09451 – Chenoweth, Sea View Crescent, St Mawes – proposed double garage/workshop – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Giles and Salter. Cllr. Chenoweth declared an interest – no objection
- PA16/10008 – Greenwaters, Freshwater Lane, St Mawes – works to a tree subject to tree preservation order. Felling of Monterey Cypress and replacement with Holly – under consideration by Cllrs. Giles, Benney and Chenoweth
- PA16/09153 – Ventongassick, Trethewell, St Just in Roseland –Demolition of an existing bungalow and proposed replacement dwelling – under consideration by the Planning Committee and Cllrs. Sadler and Teague
iii) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
PA16/06145 – Nansavallon, 29 Tredenham Road, St Mawes (24) – proposed linked garage (revised drawing), two storey extension, single storey extension and roof alterations – approved with conditions
PA16/07076 – 15 Sea View Crescent, St Mawes (36) – extend existing one-bedroom bungalow to provide second bedroom – approved with conditions
PA16/07794 – Pasco’s Boat Yard, St Just (37) – roof alteration – approved with conditions
PA16/08175 – West Warren, 17 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (38 – Listed Building Consent to increase height of chimney stack and pot – approved with conditions – condition 3 – no work shall take place until details relating to the construction of the new chimney, including details of vents, the protection of the thatch surrounding the chimney and chimney pot have been submitted to and approved in writing by the LPA. The works shall be carried out in accordance with the approved details and retained thereafter. note a new drawing submitted on 13th October reducing height of chimney from 2.2m to 1.8m – on the advice from Historic Environment Planning Service. Any increase in height of the chimney above the defined 1.8m limit (Dorset Model) above the ridge height is not recommended to be undertaken ‘as it would impact upon the Listed Building’s character and setting’ causing less than substantial harm
PA16/08177 – West Warren, 17 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes (39) – proposed increase in height of chimney stack and pot by 1.8m –approved with conditions
PA16/08033 – Stanton Barn, Windmill Hill, St Just (43) – erection of garden shed – approved
PA16/08696 – Tredym House, Trethem, St Just (42)– proposed extension and alterations – considered by Cllrs. Sadler, Teague and Warren – approved with conditions
PA16/08260 – The White House, Buckeys Lane, St Mawes (44) – rebuild collapsed wall – approved with conditions
PA16/08383 – Trevennel, St Mawes (45) – application for approval of reserved matters following outline approval PA13/06394 to reconstruct former workshop and store to create artisan studios and workshop – approved reserved matters
Discharge of conditions
PA16/08478 – Land adjoining Trevennel Farm, St Mawes – submission of details to discharge condition numbers 5 (access enhancement scheme), 6 (parking spaces scheme), 7 construction method statement) and 10 (contaminated land investigation) in respect of decision notice PA13/06394 – conditions 5, 6 and 7 discharged. Awaiting feedback from Environmental Protection Team on condition 10
- iv) Enforcements
EN16/00428 – Lowen Meadow, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes– use of the field for storing boats trailers. The land owners have submitted application number PA16/06286 to use a small part of this field to store such items. With regard to the helicopter landing, this use is due to cease on 31st December 2016 and the case will close.
EN16/00842 – 4A Bohella Road, St Mawes – alleged works not built in accordance with the approved plans PA15/11175; namely size of Juliet balcony – The owners (leaseholder) must revert the ‘bay window’ back to as approved on the approved plans or to what it previously looked like prior to any works taking place by the end of November. A compliance visit will be carried out sometime in December
- v) To note the response from Cornwall Planners regarding the complaint in respect of PA16/06646 Chamnery Fair, St Mawes – deferred to the Planning Committee meeting on 9th
- vi) To consider the pre-application to sub-divide the plot of Tranters, Trelawney Road, St Mawes to build a detached single dwelling unit – deferred to the Planning Committee meeting on 9th
vii) To consider the proposal to establish a helicopter landing area and workshop at the rear of DL Marine Ltd. In Trethewell, St Just in Roseland – deferred to the Planning Committee meeting on 9th November.
viii) To consider planning correspondence – no matters raised
13b. Proposed housing development off Newton Road, St Mawes
To consider feedback from the Public Consultation meeting held on 3rd November
To be deferred the Planning Committee meeting on Wednesday 9th November 2016
13c. Affordable Housing
To receive and update from the Roseland Community Land Trust (CLT) – Nothing to report
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee & Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
To receive a report from the meetings held on 14th September (Appendix 3)
Cllr. Williams reported on the meeting, highlighting that the income received from the solar panels for six months up to 30th June was £289.30.
- Cleansing of the Parish
To further consider the Cornwall Council’s Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme
In total, 73 recycling bags, 10 black boxes and 3 Johanna’s to date have been given out at the boot sale and the Visitor Centre. The Clerk’s office is printing off calendars of waste collection dates to put in holiday homes and distributing leaflets on what can be recycled.
- Twinning of St. Mawes with Lezardrieux in Brittany
To further consider the proposal to twin St Mawes with Lezardrieux in Brittany
The Council agreed to take this off the agenda for the time being.
- The installation of new on-street parking restrictions and speed reduction on Upper Castle
Road, St. Mawes
- a) To consider the proposals from Cormac – On-going
- b) To reconsider placing parking restrictions on Newton Road opposite proposed new housing development
Cllr. Giles proposed that parking restrictions (double yellow lines) are placed on both sides of Newton Road from Larkfield Rise entrance down to the corner where it meets the virtual path and on the opposite side of the road. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Fal River Café Business Proposal
To note the outline business proposal for a floating 80 seat restaurant on the River Fal
The proposal was circulated to councillors prior to the meeting who supported the proposal in principle. The Clerk has written to the King Harry Ferry Company stating the Parish Council’s support in principle.
- Parking Charge Proposal at St Mawes Castle
To consider the proposal by English Heritage to place payment machines in both car parks
The proposal for payment machines at St. Mawes Castle car parks by English Heritage was noted
- Local Maintenance Partnership – Footpaths (LMP)
To consider any structures such as gates or styles the PC would like removed under the LMP
Cllr. Williams proposed to accept Luke Dunstone’s advice that no structures required removal. Seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Electoral review proposal for the future size of Cornwall Council
- a) To further consider the proposal by the Electoral Review Panel regarding boundaries
No decision was made at the last meeting – Cllr. Chenoweth has circulated a format letter which the Parish Council could use as a model when responding to the proposal.
- b) To consider opposing the Boundaries Commission proposed cross boarder Westminster Parliamentary Constituency
Cllr. Sadler proposed that, in principle, the Parish Council disagree with the proposed cross boarder Westminster Parliamentary Constituency. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. One abstention, the rest voted in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Local Government Finance Settlement Consultation
To consider a response to the local Member of Parliament
NALC has circulated a suggested response. It was agreed to seek the advice of CALC.
- 23. Correspondence (information only) – no matters were raised
- Staffing Matters
To receive a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee – No report was given
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – No items were put forward
- Date of next meeting – The Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 5th December 2016 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.00pm
Signed as a true record……………………………Chairman Cllr. B Chenoweth
Date…………………….5th December 2016