MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 16 April 2015 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chair), M Facey, J Whatty, S Hrydziuszka, G Shephard, T Barron, J Arthur, J Daniel,
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), PJ Howson (Clerk), 4 members of the public,
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. Apologies received: Cllrs. N Florence, J Morgan, J Barron, E Chesterfield.
1b. The Chairman welcomed Cllr. Teresa Barron as the new member, co-opted following the resignation of Julia Feeley.
Cllr. Clare Robins has resigned from the Council for personal reasons.
2a. Declarations of interest. Cllr. Roberts, mindful of his position as a Harbour Trustee, declared a possible interest in Agenda item 14 (although this proved unnecessary).
2b. Gift Declarations. None.
- Police Report. Report received for the period 17 March to 14 April detailing a total of 3 reported crimes: 2 common assaults (at the same address) and 1 use of threatening/abusive behaviour (a ‘road rage’ incident).
- Points from the Public. Ms Helen Blamey spoke regarding Agenda item 9d, stating that Penwarne Lane is a private, unmaintained lane. Local residents had lain a thin layer of tarmac some time ago which would not survive construction traffic. It is also very narrow and there would be insufficient room for vehicles to turn into the proposed site because cars are parked directly opposite.
- Minutes. Proposed by Cllr. Hrydziuszka, Seconded by Cllr. Arthur that the Minutes of 19 March be Accepted. Carried.
- Actions from previous meeting:
2015/03/15: Donald Martin (Public Space Officer) and Teresa Frost (Cormac) will meet Cllr. Facey and a group of local parents on Tuesday 28th April to consider playground enhancements, funded by Section 106 money from the Net Lofts development. The meeting will start at the Valley Road playground at 10am and will proceed from there to the other play areas.
2015/03/20: Mr Ray Green has inspected the clock and reported that the mechanism is fine but the 2 clock faces are showing different times – both incorrect. He recommended that the clock be stopped before moving the hands.
The grassed seating areas either side of the coast path below the CG lookout will be cut by Cormac next week.
The next ‘Being a Better Councillor’ training course has been postponed from 16 May to 20 June.
Councillors are reminded of their invitation to the opening of the new playhouse at the school at 11am next Wednesday (22nd April), to be followed by a tour of the school and some light refreshments. The Guardian and the St Austell Voice have also been invited.
A Document Retention Policy has been added to the PC website and the Model Publication Scheme updated to comply with best practice.
- Ward Member’s report. Cllr. Mustoe reported that it had been a quiet month, with no major CC meetings since February. He continues to manage his caseload in the face of ever-reducing resources. Most potholes have been filled. The National Trust have been asked to renovate the benches at Chapel Point. Cormac have dealt with the weeds in their part of Wesley Court, but Ocean Housing have yet to follow suit.
- Correspondence received. Grant requests from Mevagissey Bowls Club and Mevagissey Feast Week Committee, to be considered under agenda items 15 and 17 respectively.
9a. PA15/01756 : New side conservatory. 15 Cliff Street, Mevagissey PL26 6QJ.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Barron that the Council supports the proposal. Carried
9b. PA15/01969 : Demolition of existing bungalow and construction of new dwelling. Tresleigh, Polkirt Hill, Mevagissey. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that this is one of the few remaining prominent sites in this area and is deserving of a better quality of architectural design than just another glass box with a sloping roof, and that although it is arguably no more offensive than other recent developments along that stretch of road, the Council feels obliged to Object. Carried. Cllr. Daniel asked that his vote against the motion be minuted.
9c. PA14/11088 : Refurbishment and extension. 29 The Cliff Mevagissey St. Austell PL26 6QT (REVISED PLANS).
The Planning Case Officer has issued a ‘5 day protocol letter’ and awaits Council’s response. The Council acknowledged that the latest design revisions had gone a long way to addressing the concerns of the Council and of residents, and that it was therefore no longer appropriate to oppose the Planning Officer’s recommendations. Cllr. Mustoe was asked to inform the Planning Officer that he would not be ‘calling in’ the application.
9d. PA15/00385/PREAPP : Pre application advice for erection of bungalow with garage under in garden. 13 Higher Well Park Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6XA. Local Planning Authority has advised applicant to request a meeting with the Council Site Committee. Cllr. Mustoe will establish ownership of Penware Lane.
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Hrydziuszka that the Clerk should arrange the meeting but make it clear to the applicant that they would expect to see plans of what is proposed. Carried.
The following applications have been Approved (included for information only):
9e. PA15/00725 : Proposed three bedroom dormer bungalow in garden plot to the rear of Cliff Top, Polkirt Hill.
9f. PA15/01689 : Application for Certificate of Lawful Development for an existing use namely continued use of property as a bed and breakfast business as well as use as main residence. Valley House, Valley Road.
PA15/02984 : Development of the disused squash court site by Tregoney Hill. The consultation notice arrived too late for the current agenda so it will be considered at an extraordinary meeting of the Council at 7pm on 30 April.
Cllrs. Roberts, Shephard and Facey will attend the next Tall Trees development PPA Pre-app meeting at St Austell at 10am on 23 April.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||647.37|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||207.67|
|Tower & Spire (grant)||£||350.00|
|CALC membership (renewal)||£||542.80|
|Jubilee Hall (grant)||£||1,750.00|
|Mevagissey Activity Centre (grant)||£||1,750.00|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||23,378.30|
|Expenditure last month||£||6,139.69|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||17,241.58|
|Available to spend||£||17,241.58|
|Bank Statements (01/04/2015):|
Proposed by Cllr. Arthur, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Presentation and Acceptance of Annual Accounts for 2014/15. Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Hrydziuszka that the annual accounts and governance statement be approved. Carried.
- Devolution – update. Nothing to report. Item to be removed from future agendas.
- Neighbourhood Plan – update. Cllr. Shephard reported that the Consultation was now complete and the working group had met last week to start the business of writing the policies for inclusion in the Plan. There will be further meetings until the draft Plan is ready for formal presentation to the Council for consideration in 2-3 months time. John Whatty, Jane Blackmore and Sue Lydeard have joined the working group.
- Funding for public toilets. Cllrs. Facey and Williams have been talking to local businesses to gain support for the plan that they should jointly finance at least half of the amount required to keep Valley Road toilets open until 30th September. The first contribution, of £150, has been received from the Lavender Pillow. Longer term solutions are still being considered. It was confirmed that when CC close the West Wharf toilets they will revert to the Harbour Trustees. Cllr. Mustoe will ascertain from Jeremy Rowe and Bert Biscoe whether a business plan involving car park revenues is viable. This item to remain on the agenda.
- Consideration of grant request from Mevagissey Bowls Club. The Club are seeking contributions towards their proposed purchase of a replacement vacuum cleaning machine for their all-weather playing surface. Following an offer by Cllr. Mustoe that he would contribute £250 from his Community Chest fund, it was Proposed by Cllr. Arthur, Seconded by Cllr. Hrydziuszka that the Clerk reply to the Club that, once they have secured this sum, the Parish Council would match it. Carried.
- Road safety on Fore Street and Polkirt Hill. Cllr. Hrydziuszka referred to several recent incidents in the village centre and asked whether mirrors could be installed opposite junctions along the length of Fore Street. Cllr. Roberts explained that CC policy was not to install mirrors on the public highway. It was accepted that, in the absence of traffic wardens, there was no workable solution to the problem, although any new ideas would be considered.
- Consideration of grant request from Mevagissey Feast Week Committee. The Committee have commissioned a new set of large flags to decorate the parapet wall, and need to raise an additional £2,000 to meet the cost. Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Arthur that the Parish Council contribute half of this amount. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 8.50pm. Date of next (extraordinary) meeting : 30 April 2015
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………