Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes on Monday 5th January 2015. The meeting commenced at 7pm.
The Chairman Cllr. K. Warren, Cllrs. J. Benney, P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, R. Hall, B. Sadler, P. Teague and C. Williams
- Penhaligon (Clerk), S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk), J. Smith (RNP) and 1 Member of the public
- To accept apologies for absence
Cllrs. S. Black, B. Chenoweth, P. Salter and Cornwall Cllr. J. German
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest– none declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – none declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – none declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – none received
- Open Period – Public Participation
No matters were raised
- To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on Monday 1st December 2014
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the previously circulated minutes of the 1st December 2014 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. Cllr. Teague abstained.
- Matters arising from the Minutes not on the Agenda
- a) Carols in the Castle – The evening went well, however, not so many attended this year. Difficulties occurred with access due to a wedding being held there on the day. Grateful thanks were given to Cllrs. Williams, Benney, Salter and Farmiloe for their help in the evening and a letter is to be sent to Michael Lobb thanking him for all his help putting out chairs and fetching and carrying items for the Clerk.
- b) Revamp of Bohella Bank – Revamp almost complete just some replanting outstanding.
- c) Car Park Committee Meeting – A meeting is to be arranged for 8th January 2015.
- d) Mobile Library Service – The new monthly reduced routes are due to start in March 2015. The Clerk is to write to Roseland Community Transport to ask if it would give consideration to providing a service for users of the service who are not on the new routes.
- e) Speed of traffic in St Just in Roseland village – A trial warning flashing light monitor has been ordered by the Highways Manager to be sited on Windmill Hill in attempt to control the speed of traffic through St Just village.
- f) Renewable Energy installation and grant funding options for the Millennium Rooms building – Consultant, H Crone is awaiting further information from Ofgem and hope to submit a report w/e 10th January 2015.
- g) Improvements to signage and traffic control measures in St Mawes village – It was suggested at the last Parish Council meeting to build up a reserve to deal with traffic issues. Cwll. Cllr. German to liaise with the costing of the project.
- h) Barrier for a Sea Defence in The Square, St Mawes – Cllr. German to pursue this matter.
- i) Parish Council Website – Warren and Sadler are to look at the options for a website in January. CALC is looking into websites for Parish Councils.
Archive outstanding matters in hand
- i) Best Value of the cleansing service – This matter is on-going, nothing new to report
- ii) Options for reducing the amount of litter in the streets – This matter is on-going, nothing new to report
iii) Cleansing of Bohella Store – This matter is on-going, nothing new to report
- v) On-street parking enforcements – This matter is on-going, nothing new to report
- vi) St Just Playing Field/unrecorded rights of way – Grid references have been received from Countryside Services to enable this matter to proceed.
- Report from the Clerk
The Clerk reported that the main office computer crashed on 20th December. Most of the data has been saved and a new hard drive and possibly a rebuild of the computer will take place shortly.
The Clerk suggested that thanks and congratulations should be sent to the organizers of the very successful Christmas Day lunch held in the Memorial Hall for the community.
CALC is running a series of briefing events in respect of the Governance and Transparency Code to assist with the implementation of the new code. Also an Audit and Finance Conference which the Clerk, Assistant Clerk and the Finance Committee Chairman will attend.
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary
During November the Police received 4 calls from the parish and 2 crimes have been recorded.
- Report from Cornwall Cllr. German
Apologies for absence received from Cornwall Cllr. J. German.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees
Community Land Trust – Cllr. Giles reported that, at the recent AGM, he was re-elected as Chairman, Tim Pratt is staying as Company Secretary and Derek Holman stepped in as treasurer as Mr Humphries is not well. He asked the Clerk to contact the Self Build Group requesting information on the boundary hedge for consideration at the Car Park Committee meeting next week.
Percuil River Moorings – Cllr. Sadler reported that they had held a very quick Annual Meeting to review the Annual Mooring charges for next year.
St Mawes Co-Partnership Housing Society – Cllr. Teague reported that he and Cllr. Giles attended a meeting in December to consider the application for funds from the Charity Bank. This is a very long process which looks promising.
The Chairman requested that Standing Orders be lifted to bring forward item 13. All in favour by a show of hands.
- Roseland Neighbourhood Development Plan (RNP)
Jon Smith advised the plans were submitted on 8th December, with all supporting documents. These are now available to view on the Roseland Plan website. The legal compliance has been checked, completed and passed so just now waiting to be signed off by the Cabinet Member for planning. Following this Cornwall Council will formally publish the plan. With regards to the projects we anticipate that these will take 2 years to deliver, followed by a review of the plan, so to achieve this we will be looking to establish a new project plan and agree the process required to implement the plan at the Steering Group meeting scheduled for 21st January 2015.
The Chairman suggested that a cluster meeting of the Roseland Parish Councils be held to provide some info/training on the plan.
Normal Standing Orders resumed.
- Changes to Precedents
- a) To adopt the new Standing Orders approved at the December Parish Council meeting
Cllr. Giles proposed to adopt the new Standing Orders approved at the December Parish council meeting. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) To adopt the new Financial Regulations approved at the December Parish Council meeting.
Cllr. Giles proposed to adopt the new Financial Regulations approved at the December Parish Council meeting. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- Accounts and Finance
To approve the payments of accounts (Appendix 1)
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
Total cheques numbered 6629 to 6648 approved and signed at meeting 5, 778.06 Total cheques numbered 6619 to 6628 paid since last meeting were ratified 6, 236.12
Direct Debits/ Standing Orders shown as paid in December 2, 116.08
Income shown as received during December 5, 324.71
Cllr. Benney proposed approval of the payments of accounts as presented. Seconded by Cllr. Teague. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- b) To consider donations (LGA 1972 S145) to:
- i) St Anthony’s Noyse for accompanying the Carols in the Castle on 20th December 2014
Cllr. Giles proposed a donation of £150 to St Anthony’s Noyse for their support of the event. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the council.
- ii) The Parish People for taking part in the Carols in the Castle on 20th December 2014
Cllr. Giles proposed a donation of £50 to the Parish People towards expenses for taking part in the event. Seconded by Cllr. Williams. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
- c) To note the collection at the carols in the Castle in aid of the St Mawes harbour Lights
The total sum of £240 was collected and given direct to the St Mawes Harbour Lights Committee.
- d) To consider the recipient of the funds from St Mawes Co-Partnership Housing Society
Cllr. Hall proposed that the sum of £14 which is funds acquired from the shares in St Mawes Co-Partnership to be awarded to a worthy local cause, and this should be the St Mawes Golden Age Club. Seconded by Cllr. Sadler. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council.
- a) To consider the meeting of the Planning Committee – no meeting was held
- b) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA14/11071 – land opposite 31 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – the demolition and
reconstruction of the existing garden room and residential annex – considered by Cllr. Chenoweth,
Salter and Warren – objection
- PA14/11042 – Hotel Tresanton, Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – proposed single storey external
store extension to existing hotel – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Chenoweth and Salter – no
- PA14/11278 – Andennis, Castle Drive, St Mawes – Proposed repair to the damaged sea wall – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Farmiloe and Salter (Cllr. Chenoweth declared an interest) – no objection
- PA14/11314 – Raysfield House, Polvarth Road, St Mawes – proposed extension and alterations to existing dormers and cladding of external walls – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Giles and Salter – no objection comments made regarding all the cladding
- PA14/11362 – Trecarrell, St Just in Roseland – proposed replacement of an existing 1930’s dormer bungalow with new contemporary family home – considered by Cllr. Sadler, Teague and Warren – objection
- PA14/11277 – Land adjacent to Polventon, St Just in Roseland – construction of new two storey, four bedroom dwelling – considered by Cllrs. Sadler, Benney and Warren (declaration of interest by Cllr. Teague) – objection
- PA14/11448 – Rose Cottage, Gibraltar terrace, St Mawes – extension of an existing balcony and bedroom below, construction of vestibule with cloakroom, and the replacement of an existing flat roof with pitched roof – considered by Cllrs. Benney, Chenoweth and Salter – no objection
- PA14/11554 – St Mawes Community School, Grove Hill, St Mawes – various works on trees and hedges – to be decided under delegated authority – decided not to put on a TPO
- PA14/11210 – Commander Martin’s Corner, Tredenham Road, St Mawes – removal dead and
dying branches on Monterey Pine Tree – exempt from planning permission
- PA14/11775 – Little Newton, Newton Road, St Mawes – ground floor extension – under
consideration by Cllr. Chenoweth, Farmiloe and Williams – no objection
- PA14/11704 – Co-op, 6 Kings Road, St Mawes – the replacement of the store entrance –
considered by Cllrs. Benney, Farmiloe and Salter – no objection
- c) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority
PA14 10058 – Cove Cottage, The Square, St Mawes (40) – proposed increase in width of existing first floor door and juliet balcony – approved
PA14/09135 – Lanzeague, St Just (35) – alterations and extension to existing property – revised plans – approved
PA14/11489 – 15 The Bowling Green, St Just in Roseland (51) – rear ground floor extension –
- d) Enforcements – active
EN14/02035 – 1 Church Hill, St Mawes – unauthorised works to Listed Building
EN 14/02128 – Lowen Meadow, St Mawes – use of land for helicopter and motorcycle activity in
excess of the 28 day rule.
- e) To consider planning correspondence
- f) To consider proposed housing developments in the Parish – there was nothing to report
- g) To consider updates on Affordable Housing Local Needs – there was nothing to report
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee and Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
Cllr. Williams advised since the last meeting Jenna Foster had resigned and moved to a Job with more hours and suitably more convenient for her. The garage conversion is nearly finished, it just needs furnishing. Cllr. Williams has kindly offered to co-ordinate the task as to make full use of the New Year sales in Staples.
- Car Park
- a) To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Dis||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|Dec -13||2,284.85||155, 945.80||0.00||16, 084.80||172, 030.60|
|Dec-14||2,595.20||156, 014.59||0.00||29, 290.10||185, 304.69|
|December 2014 comparable with December 2013|
|Up||310.36||68.79||13, 205.30||13, 274.09|
It was noted that Keir Services has sought permission to hire 6 bays for approximately 5 weeks from 23rd January whilst undertaking works for Western Power on Chapel Terrace, St Mawes. The present contractor using the car park for storage has reduced the size of its compound. It is planned that the car park will be cleansed week beginning 19th January.
- St Just in Roseland Church Public Conveniences
To further consider the future financing of St Just Church Public Conveniences
- a) To consider the feedback from the meeting held on 12th December – Notes circulated with agendas
- b) To consider the outline specification of works required on the treatment system – Cornwall Council have advised that there is absolutely no money for the project.
- c) To consider options for the future funding of the public conveniences – The Parish Council will wait to hear the views of the PCC meeting to be held next Monday and move forward from there.
- Maintenance Contracts
To consider the maintenance Contracts due for renewal on 1st April 2015 in respect of:
- a) Grass Cutting
- b) Weed Spraying
- c) Local Maintenance Partnership (Cornwall Council Footpaths)
- d) Additional open spaces maintenance
- e) General maintenance and repairs
- f) Bohella Bank maintenance
Contracts are advertised in the January Roseland Magazine, West Briton on the 8th and 15th January and Roseland on-line. The closing date is 31st January 2015.
- Cornwall Council Consultations
To consider responses to the following consultations:
- a) Case for Cornwall
- b) Connecting Cornwall 2030
- c) The new Parking Order for Cornwall
Individuals to forward comments
- Correspondence (information only)
- Staffing Matters
- a) To consider a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee
Ann Andrew returned to work in the Car Park on 1st January 2015. Jenna Foster left her employment as RVC Assistant Manager on 31st December 2014.
It was noted that NALC have advised of the new Salary scales agreed by the Unions to become effective from 1st January 2015.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting
- Date of next meeting
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Monday 2nd February 2015 at the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm.
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.20pm.
Signed as a true record: Cllr. B. Chenoweth
Vice Chairman of St Just in Roseland Parish Council
Date: 2nd February 2015