Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held in the Millennium Rooms,
St Mawes on Monday 5th June 2017. The meeting commenced at 7.00pm.
Councillors Present: Cllr. B. Sadler (Chairman), Cllrs. P. Farmiloe, R. Giles, S. Goldsmith, R. Hall, P. Teague, C. Thornton-Parr and K. Warren.
Also Present: S. Penhaligon (Clerk), Cornwall Cllr. German and 5 members of the public
- To accept apologies for absence Cllrs. P. Salter and C. Williams and S. Chenoweth (Assistant Clerk)
- Declaration of Interest:
- a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
- b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
- c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
- d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
- Open Period – Public Participation – no matter raised
- Confirmation of the minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 15th May 2017
The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting, that the minutes of the 15th May 2017 meeting be approved and they were duly signed by the Chairman. One abstention.
- Matters arising from the minutes not on the Agenda – for report only
- a) Parish Council website – Cllr. Warren suggested holding a short meeting to discuss the statutory element
- b) Notice of an application for registration based on adverse possession – land lying to the East of
Grove Hill, St. Mawes and the application to Cornwall Council to devolve the land to the Parish Council.
A letter was circulated from Foot Anstey, the applicant’s legal advisor and the Clerk was advised of the
wording of a response.
- c) Election of Committee Representatives – to be completed when there is a full council
- d) St Mawes Primary School future representation on Aspire Academy Trust – the contents of a letter to the
Aspire Academy Trust CEO, the headmistress and members of the hub were approved.
- e) Memorial Benches – new benches and refurbishment of existing – awaiting quotation
- f) Flower tubs in St. Mawes – refurbishment of the nine flower tubs – awaiting quotations
- g) Appealing the 12% increase in the Car Park Business Rates for 2017-2018 – in hand
- Report from the Clerk – no report given
- Report from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary – no report received
- Report from Cornwall Councillor – Cllr. German reported on:
The Roseland Neighbourhood Plan Review of Effectiveness of the Plan. There are two issues requiring amendments in the Cornwall Design Guide which has been thrown out regarding policies HO9 (residency) and H04 GP2 (referring to 5 units on new development, not affordable). Cornwall Council are looking to see if they can be easily amended without a referendum. He briefed on planning issues; and advised that that Jon Smith, Rebecca Jacob (Housing Development Manager) and representatives from St Mawes Self Build Group had met and a response is expected by the end of this week.
- Report from Councillors as representatives of other Committees – St Mawes Co-partnership Housing Society – Cllr. Teague reported that he attended a very positive AGM where officers were re-elected on block.
AGENDA ITEMS (for decision and discussion)
10a) Accounts and Finance (Appendix 1)
To consider Income and Expenditure for May and approve the payments of accounts
The Council was asked to approve the following payments:
The total cheques numbered 7163 to 7173 were approved £ 6,437.76
Direct Debits/Debit Card/ Standing Orders shown as paid in May £ 3,306.17
Salaries for May paid by FPO and transfers on 1st June 2017 £ 4,213.28
Cheque payments paid since the last meeting £ 455.84
Income shown as received during May £35,226.79
Approval of the payments of accounts was proposed by Cllr. Giles. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour by a show of hands. RESOLVED by the Council.
10b. Finance Committee (Appendix 3)
To consider a report and recommendations from the Finance Committee meeting held on 25th May
Cllr. Hall reported on the recommendations by the Finance Committee to approve the following:
- i) Annual Audit for the year ended 31st March 2017 (Appendix 3 a, b, c, d)
- a) To consider and approve the Income & Expenditure for year ended 31st March 20 17
- b) To consider and approve the Balance Sheet as at 31st March 2017
- c) To consider and approve the amended Supporting Statement for year ended 31st March 2017
- d) To consider and approve the Fixed Assets for year ended 31st March 2017
Cllr. Hall proposed approval of items a, b, c, and d. Seconded by Cllr. Warren. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- e) To approve the Annual Audit as presented for submission to the External Auditor, Grant Thornton.
Cllr. Hall proposed approval of the Annual Audit as presented for submission to Grant Thornton. All in
favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- f) To consider and approve the earmarked level of restricted reserves at 31st March 2017 (Appendix 4)
Cllr. Hall proposed approval of the earmarked reserves as presented. Seconded by Cllr. Teague. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- To receive an update on the Rialtas Omega Accounting System
The Clerk reported that the system has now been set up and the figures correspond with the Parish Council’s Balance Sheet. It is now ready for the Assistant Clerk to input data from 1st April.
- To receive an update on the Lloyds Bank closure and the service contract with G4S
The first G4S service took place today when they collected all the coinage in hand. Collections will now take place each Monday morning weekly until the end of September, then monthly during the winter.
11i) Statutes, Constitutions and Procedures
- a) To adopt the Financial Regulations adopted 7th July 2015 and approved unchanged at the Parish Council meeting held on 15th May 2017
Cllr. Farmiloe proposed to adopt the unchanged Financial Regulations approved at the Parish Council meeting on 15th May 2017. Seconded by Cllr. Hall. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- b) To review the Standing Orders adopted 1st June 2015 to include the changes regarding the Code of Conduct implemented at the Parish Council meeting held on 6th February 2017 – Defer to next meeting
- c) To adopt the Code of Conduct approved unchanged at the Parish Council Meeting, 15th May 2017
Cllr. Warren proposed to adopt the Code of Conduct approved unchanged at the Parish Council meeting held on 15th May 2017. Seconded by Cllr. Farmiloe. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
11ii. Code of Conduct Training
To consider a suitable date for Code of Conduct training for Roseland Parish Councillors and Clerks by CALC. It was agreed that October would be the most suitable time to hold this in the Millennium Rooms.
12a. Car Park (Appendix 2)
To consider the monthly income
|Pay & Display||Pay & Display||Permits||Permits||Total|
|May 2017 comparable with||May 2016|
Including £2, 586.50 gross on card payments
12b) Car Park Committee (appendix 5)
To consider the recommendations from the Car Park Committee meeting held on 25th May 2017
Cllr. Giles reported that the Finance Committee had recommended approval of the unchanged Reserved Spaces in St Mawes Car Park Policy and Procedure.
Cllr. Warren proposed that the said unchanged Policy and Procedure be adopted. Seconded by Cllr. Giles. All in favour. RESOLVED by the Council
- i) To consider decisions and recommendations from the Planning Committee meeting held on 22nd May 2017
Cllr. Giles reported on the decisions of the Planning Committee:
- PA17/03802 – Penrill, St Just in Roseland – the provision of a new vehicular access
and the erection of a new two storey detached dwelling within the garden of existing
dwelling – approved in principle with conditions
- PA17012022 PREAPP – Moonfleet, Freshwater lane, St Mawes – dividing plot into 2
plots with 2 detached houses with integral garage wings – approved division of plot with
- PA17/01194 – Tregear Vean, St Mawes – change of use from existing overspill
domestic static caravan to holiday – objection
- PA17/00766 – 1 Polvarth Estate, St Mawes – erection of single storey dwelling
unit – objection
Mr Richards has requested a meeting with Cwll. Cllr. German, a Planning Officer and a member of the Parish Council to discuss the Parish Council’s views on helicopter landing sites in the parish. It was agreed that the Parish Council is always willing to discuss proposed landing sites through the Planning Committee
- ii) The Council considered the following planning applications:
- PA17/03820 – 32 Lower Castle Road, St Mawes – renewal of planning consent
PA14/04610 for summerhouse – considered by Cllrs. Giles, Farmiloe and Williams – no
- PA17/04451 – Land East of Lowen Meadow, Newton Road, St Mawes –proposed
Residential Development comprising of 15 dwelling (8 affordable and 7 open market) –
to be considered by the full council at a consultation meeting to be held in St Mawes
Memorial Hall on 6th July.
- PA17/01205PREAPP – BT Polvarth Road, St Mawes – replacement of existing 12.5m communication pole with 15.m communication pole and installation of antennas and ground bases apparatus – no objection
PA17/00042 – Sea Craig, 4 Carrick Way, St Mawes– proposed construction of a
replacement dwelling house with separate garage and residential amenity space – appeal
allowed with costs
Cornwall Council Central Planning Committee notice
PA17/01038 – The White House, 1 Buckeys Lane, St Mawes – construction of dwelling
house and garage. From 10am on 12th June in the Council Chamber Room, County Hall.
iii) To note the decisions of the Planning Authority:
PA17/08079 – The Mount, 10 Gibraltar Terrace, St Mawes (1) variation of condition 2 of
approved plan PA14/07134 – approved with conditions
PA17/03605 – Summers, 4 Pedn Moran, St Mawes (2) – non-material amendment to amend glazing elements within the ground floor and first floor southwest facing elevation in respect of decision PA16/06248 – refused (not non-material)
PA17/03544 – Trevennel, St Mawes (4) – single storey replacement rear porch extension including covered area – approved with conditions
PA17/03713 – Saben, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes (8) – retrospective application for the
installation of an air source heat pump and omission of oil tank – approved
PA17/03995 – Saben, Upper Castle Road, St Mawes (9) – variation of condition 2
(approved plans) and removal of condition 3 (privacy screening) in respect of decision notice PA14/06101 – approved
PA1701194PREAPP – land adjacent to Porth View, St Mawes (10) – pre-application advice for 100% affordable Housing – advice given
PA17/01043PREAPP – Penperth Farm, St Just in Roseland (15) – proposed change of use
of existing storage barn into farmshop/café (with new access) considered by Cllrs. Sadler,
Teague and Warren – no objection
PA17/02616 – Chamnery Fair, Trelawney Road, St Mawes (86)– proposed amendments to approved planning application PA16/06646 in respect of relocation of detached garage so now attached to replacement dwelling and amendments to external surface finish to rear north west projection (Beds 3 & 4 en-suites) – approved with conditions
PA17/01453 – Riviera Gardens, Riviera Lane, St Mawes (83) – extensions and alterations to existing dwelling – approved with conditions
PA17/010408PREAPP – Exception Notice for proposed works to remove dead wood
from Monterey Pines on site at land above Summers Beach, St Mawes – planning
permission not required
Discharge of Conditions
PA17/03157 Manor Cottage, 1 Kings Road, St Mawes – discharge of condition 4 in respect of decision PA14/12136 dated 02.03.15 – pending consideration
PA17/01075 – Land adjacent to Trethewell Workshops, St Just in Roseland (76) – temporary use of land for the landing/taking off and parking of a helicopter for the period between 1st march and 31st October 2017 (limited to 35 take offs and landings during daylight hours) – withdrawn
PA17/01959 – Penperth Farm, St Just (85)- proposed change of use of an existing storage barn into a farmshop/café – withdrawn
- v) Enforcements – OPEN
EN16/00842 – 4A Bohella Road, St Mawes – alleged works not built in accordance with the approved plans PA15/11175 – awaiting a compliance visit.
EN16/02210 – Agricultural building at Trethem Farm House, St Just in Roseland – alleged non-compliance with condition 3 of PA11/02110 – awaiting a visit with a Tree Officer to see the vegetation in full bloom.
EN17/00745 – Penperth Farm, St Just in Roseland – alleged unauthorised change of use from youth hostel to B and B, also construction of various wooden buildings.
- iv) To consider planning correspondence
It was noted that David Hubbard has resigned from the Planning Committee. A letter of grateful thanks is to be sent to Mr Hubbard for all his expertise and support on planning matters over many years.
iiv) To respond to the Roseland Plan Steering Group draft consultation
It was agreed to ask for more time to prepare a response
13b. Affordable Housing
- i) To consider updates from the Roseland Community Land Trust (CLT) – Cllr. Giles reported that the pre-planning application for 100% affordable housing at Porth View, St Mawes was progressing; and the trust is meeting with Cornwall Council regarding a possible site at Trewithian.
- ii) To further consider the proposal from the St. Mawes Self Build Group – Cllr. Giles reported that the group is liaising with the CLT.
- Millennium Rooms Management Committee & Roseland Visitor Centre Committee
To receive a report – The next meeting is on 26th June 2017
- The installation of new on-street parking restrictions and speed reduction on Upper Castle
Road, St. Mawes
- a) To consider the update on the process from Cormac Ltd – nothing to report
- b) To consider the quotation from Cormac Ltd for relining outside of Downholm, Tredenham Road, St Mawes – Cormac Ltd has quoted £1,955 to sweep and reline both sides of the road above Summers Beach, Tredenham Road. Councillors agreed to inspect the state of the yellow lines.
- Barclays ATM in St Mawes
To further consider alternative sites for Barclays ATM – The Council has been unsuccessful in finding an alternative site but will keep the matter in mind.
- Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
To receive an update on the Roseland Outdoor Education Centre
Cllr. Warren gave a brief update stating that the group has been formalized as an Association with a constitution which is the necessary first stage for opening a bank account and applying for funding.
- Recycling and Waste in St. Mawes
- a) To consider the feedback on the Waste Reduction Incentive Scheme – feedback not received
- b) To consider the extra waste generated from takeaway businesses – One problem is that some takeaway cartons will not flatten so they fill up the waste bins. It was agreed to liaise with takeaway businesses. The Clerk was authorised to purchase two new bin tops with bird flaps attached.
- Additional safe pedestrian areas in St Mawes
To consider additional pavements/safe areas in St Mawes
Cllr. Goldsmith voiced her concerns regarding ‘blind’ unsafe areas in St Mawes such as outside the Watch House; at the top of Hill Head and; the bottom of Buckeys Lane. She questioned if additional pavements could be installed to promote safe areas for pedestrians and agreed to draw maps of the areas to present at the next meeting.
- 20. Correspondence (information only) – considered with no matter raised
- Staffing Matters
- a) To receive a report and recommendations from the Personnel Committee
Cllr. Farmiloe advised that there was no report and that the next meeting is on 7th June.
- Agenda items for the next Parish Council meeting – no matters put forward
- Date of next meeting – The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on Monday 3rd July 2017 in the Parish Millennium Rooms, St Mawes commencing at 7pm
There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.30pm
Signed as a true record……………………………Chairman Cllr. B. Sadler
Date………………………………… 3rd July 2017