MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 17th December 2015 at 7pm.
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), J Whatty, G Shephard, M Facey, T Barron, J Daniel, N Florence, J Morgan, J Barron, A Chesterfield.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (CC), PCSO A Hemming, P Howson (Clerk), Ivor Tomlin and colleague from Situ8 Ltd,
8 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. Apologies received: Cllrs. J Arthur, D Speed, S Hrydziuszka.
2a. Declarations of interest. Cllrs. T Barron, J Barron and J Morgan declared an interest in item 22.
2b. Gift Declarations. None.
- PCSO Hemming presented his report for the period 13 November to 13 December detailing 3 crimes: 1 x Production of a controlled drug, Class B (cannabis); 1 x Burglary with intent to steal (in Portmellon); 1 x Unlawful underage sex.
- Mr Ivor Tomlin of Situ8 Ltd Planning Consultancy, together with the architect, presented the plans relating to the proposed Tall Trees development (Item 10c). A sum of £57K had been agreed as an open space contribution, which could be used for affordable housing within the Parish, as well as a £33K education contribution. They will be producing a Construction Traffic Management Plan.
- Points from the Public. Mr John Brewster was given leave by the Chairman to speak on a subject unrelated to any agenda item. Mr Brewster is keen to see the plaque commemorating Elijah Bond, which was attached to the War Memorial as a temporary measure, replaced by something more permanent and in keeping. He asked whether the Council would object if he investigates the options available and returns to present them in the next month or so. The Council indicated their support for this initiative, and Cllr. Mustoe offered help from his Community Chest fund.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. T Barron that the Minutes of the meeting held on 19th November 2015 be Accepted. Carried.
7 . Actions from previous meeting(s).
- The Principal Public Space Officer has stated that the damage to the seats in Hitler Walk was the result of rotten wood, which Cormac will repair, but that he would not erect signage to deter skateboarding because of cost, enforcement issues and the need to avoid ‘clutter’.
- The Planning Enforcement Officer has inspected the patio area at Longpoint, Chapel Point Lane, and notified the owner that should he wish to retain the developments there then a planning application would have to be submitted as soon as possible.
- The Clerk has written to CC objecting to the withdrawal of funding for public toilets.
- The Chairman summarised the results of the meeting with the Highways Manager, convened by Cllr. Mustoe, to discuss various maintenance issues around the Parish.
- Ward Member’s report.
- Cllr. Mustoe has an imminent meeting with CC Head of Planning to address concerns over the handling of alleged breaches of planning conditions at the Treloen Apartments site.
- Devolution funding of £34K is to be shared amongst ward members within the St Austell & Mevagissey Community Network.
- Donald Martin, CC Public Space Officer, is standardising the management of public spaces across Cornwall. He has committed to producing a consultation document in February which will be sent to Parish and Town Councils, and has offered to come and speak to the Council if they wish.
- Bert Biscoe, CC Portfolio Holder for Transport, has said that when business rates are devolved to CC they would have discretion to waive them for public toilets.
- Cllr. Shephard asked Cllr Mustoe to press on the Head of Planning that, as an unelected officer of CC, it should not be his decision as to who to include in discussions on S106 contributions.
- Correspondence received.
- Letter from Cornwall Air Ambulance thanking MPC for the previous grant and asking for another one, and offering to come to talk to the Council about the work they do.
- Letter from Peter Hedger summarising events at open space land, Pentillie.
- Christmas card from Steve Double MP.
- Two letters from local residents expressing appreciation for the seasonal dog ban on Portmellon beach.
- Letter from an ‘ex-pat’, now living in Kent, asking for the Portmellon dog ban to be extended.
- Planning and Enforcement.
10a. PA15/07779 : Listed Building Consent to remove chimney stack and tile roof. 21 The Cliff Mevagissey PL26 6QT.
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council objects to the proposal and believes that the problem should be resolved by appropriate remedial work. Carried.
10b. PA15/10535 : Raised decking to the front elevation (Retrospective application). Willstrand Trevarth Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6RX. Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council has no objection to the proposal. Carried.
10c. PA15/10218 : Conversion of the existing Tall Trees (The Hollies) building into two maisonettes and two flats with a proposal for a new residential building comprised of eight units accommodating one terrace house, two no. maisonettes and five no. flats together with the provision of a parking area, hard and soft landscaping and repair of an existing outbuilding and cob boundary wall. Tall Trees (The Hollies) Church Lane Mevagissey PL26 6SX.
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the proposal, subject to a Construction Traffic Management Plan being agreed prior to work starting. Carried.
10d. PA15/10268 : Demolition of a number of small lean-to style outbuildings adjoining Tall Trees main building. (This application is to accompany the Tall Trees full planning application PA15/10218). Tall Trees (The Hollies) Church Lane Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6SX. Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council has no objections to the proposal. Carried.
10e. PA15/09370 : Listed building consent for removal of existing window and cutting in of new door; alteration of internal staircase and installation of internal walls. 18 Church Street Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6SP.
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council has no objections to the proposal, subject to the three conditions specified by the Historic Environment (Planning) Team being satisfied. Carried.
10f. PA15/09646 : Erection of a two storey extension with the inclusion of a patio/terrace and French doors at first floor level. Trenance, Valley Road, Mevagissey. To reconsider following notification of neighbour objection.
Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. J Barron that the Council stands by its original decision. Carried.
10g. The following planning decisions have been published (included for information only):
PA15/10175 : Proposed en-suite extension. 41 Tregoney Hill Mevagissey. APPROVED
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||647.17|
|HMRC (Income Tax & NIC)||£||207.87|
|Printing (NDP & Cormac meeting)||£||6.70|
|Footpath cutting (final cut)||£||115.40|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||41,147.79|
|Expenditure last month||£||2,050.25|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||40,117.04|
|Available to spend||£||39,097.54|
|Bank Statements (01/12/2015):|
Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Whatty that the 2016/17 Precept be increased by £22.00 for a Band D house to safeguard the future provision of public toilet facilities. Amendment moved by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. J Barron that the increased amount be ring-fenced for public toilets. Amendment Carried. Substantive Motion Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the draft budget presented at the November meeting, and adjusted in line with the previous resolution, is agreed. Carried.
- To receive an update on the Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP). Cllr Shephard reported that the NDP was now complete and was submitted today to 69 consultees. After 6 weeks, and any required modifications, it would be submitted to CC. After a further 6 weeks, the plan would be adopted and forwarded to the independent examiner. It would then be put to a public referendum, probably in late June / early July. Cllr. Florence proposed a vote of thanks to all who had contributed to the production of the Plan, and in particular to Cllr. Shephard.
- To receive an update on funding for public toilets. Mevagissey’s ‘share’ of the £34K devolution fund (see Minute 8 above) could be put towards required capital spend on the toilet buildings. Toilet committee members will be assessing the buildings in early January and will report back. Given the tight deadline for funding bids, the decision may be delegated to the Chairman.
- To consider developments regarding post office services. The Jubilee Hall is considered suitable. A PO survey team will be visiting on 6th January to assess what is required to bring the available space up to the required standard. The existing PO closes on 20th January, and it is hoped that there will be no interruption of service.
- Proposed by Cllr. Florence, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that, for the sake of appearances, Council listings in future will give Councillors’ first and last names, without title. Carried.
- To consider the loss of the season ticket facility for evening parking at River Street car park. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Florence that the Council adheres to its original decision. Carried.
- It was noted that the individual who had donated the benches at Chapel Point would be providing funding for materials required for their renovation and repair, to be carried out by Cllr. Daniel.
- Proposed by Cllr. T Barron, Seconded by Cllr. J Barron that a donation to the Cornwall Air Ambulance be made to match the amount donated last year. Carried.
- To consider the Common Infrastructure Levy as a potential source of subsidy for renovations within the Conservation Area. Cllr. Shephard explained that Parishes with a NDP received 25% of the Levy to be used as they saw fit, and he has asked CC to send somebody to a future meeting to explain how it works.
- To consider the Council’s response to the appeal against refusal of PA15/03079 : Proposed Residential Development for 12 New Dwellings (7 Affordable and 5 Open Market) on land north of Moonfleet, School Hill.
Cllrs. T Barron, J Barron and J Morgan left the meeting having declared an interest. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Clerk should make a representation to the Appeal Inspector. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 9.25pm. Date of next meeting : 21st January 2016.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………