MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 16 January 2020 at 7pm
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), T Barron, J Blackmore, J Daniel, M Facey, J Gann, L Hereward, J Morgan,
K Robinson, G Shephard, P Simpson, J Whatty.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (Ward Member), P Howson (Clerk), 4 members of the public.
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
1a. The Chairman wished everybody a Happy New Year.
1b. Apologies were received from Cllrs. Nathan and Florence.
- Cllr. Roberts declared an interest in agenda item 7f (pre-application for East Wharf Toilet Block).
- Liz Meldon-Smith, Chair of Mevagissey Patient Participation Group, summarised the problems being experienced by patients and staff at the surgery as a result of the poorly managed integration of services by the Veor Group.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Gann that the minutes of the meeting held on 19 December 2019 be accepted. Carried.
- To receive the Clerk’s report.
- The police website shows 7 crimes reported in November as follows: 5 x violence and sexual offences (under investigation on or near Lamorak Close and Jetty Street, unable to prosecute suspect on or near The Cliff and Jetty Street, investigation complete and no suspect identified on or near The Cliff ); 2 x anti-social behaviour (on or near Leatfield and Jetty Street);
- Members will be meeting with the Area Planning Team Leader on 29th January to discuss current issues;
- Members will be meeting at Longpoint on 21st January with the architect and the planning officer to discuss the issue of solar panels;
- A further submission was sent to the Planning Inspectorate re. the Appeal against Refusal of PA19/01977 for 7 dwellings on land at School Hill;
- A reply was received from CC Affordable Housing Unit explaining the reason for the modification of the S106 agreement on Shipbuilder Close;
- The Ward Member presented his report, including that:
- The double yellow lines on Bodrugan Hill have been completed;
- There has been much consternation over the display of unauthorised signage indicating that Fore Street would be closed later this month (see minute 17 below);
- He has consulted the Harbour Trustees about the fish loading site and awaits their reply;
- Cornwall Council have asked for details of what services the Parish Council want to take over for a potential devolution deal prior to a further meeting with them;
- He has asked Ocean Housing to carry out a spring clean in Wesley Court/Meadow Street, including painting the buildings and clearing gutters. He will be there on Sunday 26th January with a volunteer group to do weeding and tidying up;
- He has raised concerns with Mevagissey Surgery about various issues, including the time taken to answer telephones, and, with Steve Double MP, is arranging a meeting with Veor Group;
- Cornwall Council has altered its guidance on the issuing of blue badges to recognise that there are some exceptional cases that don’t fall within the normal criteria;
- He is supporting a motion from Newquay Councillor Mark Formosa that ‘This council agrees to appoint a task and finish group to examine Cornwall Council’s current planning enforcement procedures and to make recommendations on how to make them more open and transparent to allow the public to be able to follow, understand, and participate in such proceedings from their opening to their conclusion’.
The full report is on the Parish Council’s website.
- To consider Planning Applications.
7a. PA19/10805 : New bungalow to be built in garden plus garage. Sunrise Trevarth Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6RX. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the Council supports the application. Carried.
7b. PA19/09437 : Tree works to fell a Sycamore (T1) subject to a TPO. Park Cottage Road From Bodrugan Hill To Portmellon Road Portmellon Mevagissey PL26 6PL. The application has been withdrawn.
7c. PA19/10659 : Conversion of Loft space with alterations to 1st floor to accommodate stair access. Increase in decking size to rear of property. 3 Coastguard Station Mall Access To Coastguard Station Mevagissey PL26 6QP
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council objects to the application because the proposed Velux windows and dormer window would be out of keeping in this historic terrace (NDP Policy D1 – Design and Context). Carried.
7d. PA19/09527 : Application (part retrospective) to replace existing rotted pitched roof over rear extension with flat amenity area, create platform at first floor level within inner yard, with spiral staircase to amenity area, replace one rotted window with timberfrench doors giving access to platform, replace remaining rotted windows with timber, replace rotted lintel over back door, remove part of internal partition in rear extension. 41 Cliff Street Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6QJ (and PA19/09758 : Listed building consent)
Proposed by Cllr.Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council objects to the application because of the overlooking of the neighbour and the fundamental change of character of a listed building. Carried.
7e. PA19/03310/PREAPP : Pre-application advice for the conversion of old un-used toilet block into domestic dwelling. East Wharf Toilet Block East Wharf Mevagissey Cornwall (not a consultation). Cllr. Roberts withdrew for this item, having declared an interest, and Cllr. Facey took the Chair. Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council considered the proposal to be an inappropriate design for the Conservation Area and would prefer to see a commercial / maritime development which would provide local employment. Carried.
7f. PA19/03049/PREAPP : Pre-application advice for the construction of seven affordable houses to rent with parking. Land North West Of 40 Vicarage Hill Vicarage Hill Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6SZ (not a consultation).
It was agreed that this appeared to be a suitable site for affordable homes.
7g. An update was provided on current planning enforcement cases.
7h. The following planning decisions have been received (included for information only):
PA19/09185 : Replacement of amenity block and utilities building. Heligan Camping Site. APPROVED
PA19/10490 : Revised parking area layout and pedestrian access. 18 Lower Well Park APPROVED
PA19/09631 : Works to a tree subject to a TPO. Mevagissey House, Vicarage Hill. APPROVED
PA19/05311 : Discharge conditions 5, 8 and 9 w.r.t. PA18/08553. Land Adjacent 38 Kiln Close. DISCHARGED
PA19/09437 : Tree works to fell a Sycamore (T1) subject to a TPO. Park Cottage, Portmellon WITHDRAWN
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||666.73|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||182.38|
|Operate Valley Road PC January 2020||£||978.54|
|Operate West Wharf PC January 2020||£||1,039.58|
|West Wharf PC November waste collections||£||74.93||(paid)|
|Valley Road PC water 04/12/19 – 03/01/20||£||189.91|
|New decking for Little Nippers||£||3,479.76|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||94,775.99|
|Expenditure last month||£||5,769.09|
|plus grant to Mevagissey Activity Centre||£||600.00|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||88,449.85|
|Available to spend||£||88,449.85|
|Bank Statements (01/01/2020)|
It was noted that a) the last item on the list of bills to be paid had been added since the agenda was published and b) a credit note has been issued by Biffa which covers the waste collections from December to February.
Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Gann provided an update on the Community Land Trust (CLT). The affordable housing working group has submitted a pre-application for a proposed development (see minute 7f), they have had a meeting with CC to discuss possible sites and later this month the Cornwall CLT is visiting to look at these sites.
(Cllr. Daniel left the meeting at this point).
- Cllr. Facey reported that the shackles on the West Wharf disabled toilet had been repaired following damage; and that he would soon be meeting the Feast Week Committee to discuss extra security during Feast Week.
- Cllr. Shephard reported that the Climate Emergency Working Group meeting had been postponed to next week.
- The owner of the land on Kestle Road identified as a possible allotment site has not replied to the letter sent. The Chairman asked members to report any other possible sites of which they might be aware.
- It was agreed that a special meeting would be arranged to agree details of what services the Parish Council wanted to take over for a potential devolution deal.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Facey that the January 2020 version of Standing Orders be adopted.
- Proposed by Cllr. Gann, Seconded by Cllr. Barron that the Council would write to the Veor Group expressing concern at the problems at the surgery and asking for information on how these would be addressed. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Facey, Seconded by Cllr. Barron that the proposed new street name of Quay Terrace for the site adjacent to 38 Kiln Close is unacceptable. The site is nowhere near the quay and the proposal is misleading. The new properties should continue the existing numbering scheme of Kiln Close, but if the developer insists on a new dedicated street name it should be more appropriate and not marketing driven. Carried.
- The Council considered the proposed road closure of Polkirt Hill for the erection and dismantling of scaffolding and asked the Ward Member to agree a closure of 9am-4pm for the periods 27-31 January and 18-22 May; and to make it clear that the council should have been consulted before unauthorised signs were displayed.
- The Council completed a review of salary policy (in closed session).
- The meeting closed at 9.55pm. Date of next meeting: 20 February 2020.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………