Gerrans Parish Council Parish Council News

Gerrans Parish Council Minutes – March 2019

Konsel Pluw Erens
Gerrans Parish Council

MINUTES of the Meeting of Gerrans Parish Council
held on Tuesday 5th March 2019 at 7.30 pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

NEXT MEETING – Tuesday 2nd April 2019 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall Annexe

Present:

Cllrs Charlotte Taffinder (CT- Chairman), Richard Cochrane (RC), Kate Greet (KG), Helen Hastings (HH), James Hetherington (JH), Val Neal (VN), Mary Watson (MW); Steve Skull (Clerk),

4 members of the public attended.

 

031901

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllrs Ralph German, Will Gill, Rick Iddison, Nev Meek; CC Julian German (JG).

031902

DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

– None

031903

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Mr Simon Perry spoke of Wild Roseland’s pollinator plant project in response to an invitation from the Council to make use of the bank at Treloan Lane car park. He said he was in correspondence with Gerrans School with a view to organising a joint project on the site. It was agreed the clerk would liaise with him about adjusting the grounds maintenance schedule to accommodate such a project. Action clerk

031904

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETINGS

The Council unanimously accepted the draft minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Tuesday 5th February 2019 as being a true record. CT signed the minutes. CT also signed the approved minutes of the meeting of the Finance Committee held on 5th February 2019 prior to the full Council meeting.

031905

REVIEW OF MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING – MATTERS ARISING

The clerk reported:

– he had found a contractor to repair the existing dilapidated benches at the Memorial Hall car park and Trewithian Green, thus avoiding the need for replacements. He expected the work to be completed before the next meeting

– dumpy bags of 803 aggregate had now been delivered to the car parks and he would arrange with the Council’s environment management contractor for pot holes to be filled on an ad hoc basis

– the old concrete waste bin holder on the Lugger had now been removed as requested.

  1. CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED
  2. Sarah Newton MP

Invitation to the Chairs of all the parishes in her constituency to a meeting with the current housing minister to discuss planning matters on Friday March 8th. CT said she would be attending the meeting.

There was no other correspondence which would not be addressed in other items on the agenda.

031907

PLANNING MATTERS

(a) APPLICATIONS

The PC considered 2 new applications. These are outlined below and detailed comments are noted on the Cornwall Council planning website.

Application Description PC decision
PA19/00807 Treneglos – Percuil.

Proposed detached garage

Unanimous support.
PA19/01418 Land west of Chapel House, Well Lane.

New dwelling on site of domestic storage building.

Unanimous object:

Contrary to RNDP policies

LA1, GP1, GP2, GP3 & CV1.

Contrary to CLP policies 3, 12

& 23

Contrary to NPPF para 172

 

 

At the Chairman’s invitation, Mr Dan Mitchell, a planning consultant representing the applicants in PA19/01418, addressed the Councillors immediately prior to their consideration of the application, outlining his arguments in support.

 

(b) DECISIONS

Application GPC comment CC Decision
PA18/11808 – Bohortha Boathouse, St Anthony Support (Withdrawn)

(c) ENFORCEMENT MATTERS

– Nothing to report

(d) INVITATION to a “Meet the Planners” meeting arranged by Cornwall Council, to be held on Friday 22nd March. KG volunteered to attend on behalf of the PC and the clerk was asked to contact Cllr Nev Meek to enquire whether he would care to go also. Action clerk

031908

COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS

– None

031909

LOCALISM

The potential provision of seating on Gerrans Green was due to be discussed but, Cllr Ralph German, who was to source the seats, being absent, the matter was deferred until the April meeting.

Councillors reviewed a drawing provided by CT showing the intended initial groundworks to be carried out at Gerrans playground. It was decided unanimously to proceed with the works. (proposed CT, seconded JH).

031910

ST ANTHONY FOOTPATHS AND PUBLIC ACCESS LAND

The clerk read out a previously circulated email from Mr Glen Symons, farm manager of Place Estate seeking clarification as to who has rights to access of the common land at Bohortha, and a reply drafted by Cllr Nev Meek setting out the history and legal background. It was agreed unanimously that the clerk be asked to reply to Mr Symons on behalf of the PC using Cllr Meek’s draft. Action clerk

031911

COMMUNICATIONS

The clerk apologised for having omitted to include a notice in the March article for Roseland Magazine seeking design ideas for a parish logo. He said it would now appear in the April edition. Councillors reviewed some initial sketches from VN, which were positively received.

031912

ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION GROUP

After an initial discussion of the position the PC should adopt in terms of acknowledging the current threats to the environment, the following resolution was unanimously agreed (Proposed CT, seconded JH):

“In line with Cornwall Council’s recent initiative, Gerrans Parish Council acknowledges that we are approaching a climate emergency and that there is urgent need for global society to reduce carbon emissions. It therefore supports in principle the aims and objectives of the Roseland Environment Action Community Team (REACT), and will include on its meeting agendas a regular monthly item to discuss environmental issues, and to consider taking actions as they may be proposed.” The clerk was asked to ensure this item was included in the April agenda. Action clerk

031913

PORTSCATHO PUBLIC CONVENIENCES

The clerk reported that the flat roof on the disabled facility was leaking and had caused damage to the ceiling and both needed to replaced. He produced a quote from a new contractor, the original contractor who was to do the work having cancelled. It was agreed unanimously to accept the quote. (Proposed HH, seconded CT). The clerk also said repairs to the roof on the main block would also be required later in the year and he would seek quotes for that work. Action clerk

  1. FINANCIAL MATTERS

ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

The clerk reported that all payments submitted for approval were materially within budget, or within forecast and agreed contingency levels where actual figures were unknown at the time of setting the budget.

It was resolved that the outstanding invoices totalling £17,824.62 (including VAT of £2,568.21) be paid. A schedule of all the payments is available from the clerk.

BANK RECONCILIATION

The reconciled bank balance as at 25th February was £51,496.66.

031915

OTHER PARISH MATTERS

  1. Any urgent business

– None

  1. Matters to be included on the next agenda (not heretofore minuted)

– Condition of Well Lane footpath

– General discussion on planning application appraisal.

  1. Minor items for report

– The clerk said the “White Stone” at the junction of Gerrans Hill had been knocked over and into the road. He had reported the matter to Cornwall Council as a road safety issue.

 

The meeting closed at 8.50 pm

 

Leave a Comment