MEVAGISSEY PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held at the Mevagissey Activity Centre
On Thursday 20 June 2019 at 7pm
Present Cllrs. M Roberts (Chairman), T Barron, J Daniel, L Hereward, J Morgan, G Shephard, P Simpson.
In Attendance Cllr. J Mustoe (Ward Member), P Howson (Clerk).
UNRATIFIED UNLESS SIGNED
- Apologies were received from Cllrs. Blackmore, Gann, Facey, Whatty and Nathan.
2a. The Chairman wished to place on public record the Council’s appreciation of all those involved in the campaign to save the surgery, not just the hard work of those who created and steered the campaign, but the community as a whole which came together to show a united front and generated a level of publicity which ensured a successful outcome.
2b. The Chairman asked all present to keep the morning of Monday 15 July free for a very important event which would be a ‘Celebration of Mevagissey’.
- There were no Declarations of Interest or Gifts.
- Public participation. There were no members of the public present.
- Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the minutes of the Annual General Meeting held on 16 May 2019 be accepted. Carried.
- Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the minutes of the ordinary meeting held on 16 May 2019 be accepted. Carried.
- The Clerk reported that:
- The police website shows 8 crimes reported in April as follows: 1 x criminal damage and arson (Church Lane, investigation complete, no suspect identified); 1 x violence and sexual offences (Lower Well Park, under investigation); 1 x other theft (Beach Road, under investigation); 1 x theft from the person (Fore Street, under investigation); 4 x anti-social behaviour (Portmellon car park, Lower Well Park, Battery Terrace, Chapel Street);
- The requested meeting with Gavin Smith, Area Planning Team Leader, has been arranged for 9am on Thursday 27 June at the St Austell council offices.
- A letter was received from a resident asking the Council to consider action to address the problem of seagulls;
- He had written to CC Planning Enforcement regarding the Steep House development using evidence provided by Cllr. Simpson. Enforcement Case EN19/00832 has been raised;
- The next meeting of the Community Network Panel will be the AGM on 11 July.
It was agreed that the Council could do little to control seagulls, a protected species, and that the Clerk should reply accordingly.
- The Ward Member presented his report, including that:
- He was delighted that the future of the surgery had been settled so quickly and thanked all who had contributed to the campaign, highlighting a number of events and milestones which marked its rapid progress to a successful outcome;
- He has asked for the Valley Road bus stop to be repaired, and eventually replaced;
- He has worked with Cormac to secure funding for improvements to public footpaths and a works programme is being agreed;
- He thanked Mark Groom, the road sweeper, for his work on the raised beds in Valley Road and cutting back the hedge by Valley Road PC, done during his own time;
- He asked the Council to consider including parking restrictions at the bottom of Cliff Street and in Trevarth in a future community highways scheme to overcome obstructions caused by inconsiderate parking;
- He asked the Council to consider promoting the adoption of YourCash ATMs on sites within the village;
- He had asked Cormac to ensure that open spaces and verges are trimmed before Feast Week.
- He drew attention to the work of Aza Adlam, who has painted murals at various locations around the village.
The full report is available on the Council’s website.
- Proposed by Cllr.Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Hereward that Aza Adlam be given a free hand to paint murals on the public toilets. Carried.
- To consider Planning Applications.
10a. PA19/03796 (and PA19/03797 Listed Building Consent) : Change of use of ground floor from residential to restaurant. 2 Polkirt Hill Mevagissey PL26 6UR
Proposed by Cllr. Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council supports the application. Carried.
10b. PA19/03836 : New layout for car park for four cars for flats 1, 2, 3 and 4 plus three sheds. Allocated space for bins and recycle containers. Beach House Portmellon Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6PN
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the Council OBJECTS to the application. The information provided is inadequate, with the submitted plans being poorly made with insufficient detail or measurements. Carried.
10c. PA19/03600 : Replacement of wooden double glazed patio doors and windows with UPVC or composite new doors and windows. 2 Polkirt Heights Mevagissey PL26 6TT
Proposed by Cllr. Daniel, Seconded by Cllr. Barron that the Council would support this application if a condition was attached in line with the condition attached to the original approval for this development, namely that any windows installed within the dwelling shall be side hung casement type, vertical sliding sash or fixed glazing and not top hung or centre pivot, in the interests of visual amenity. Carried.
10d. PA19/04218 : New detached garage to Hunrosa House. Hunrosa House 20 Portmellon Park Mevagissey PL26 6XD
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council has no objection to this application, but would draw attention to the water course which flows along the site of the proposed garage. Carried.
10e. PA19/04862 : Removal of storage building to rear, construction of two storey extension with mono pitch roof and single storey flat roof extensions to the rear of the property. Christabel Beach Road Mevagissey Cornwall PL26 6TE
Proposed by Cllr. Morgan, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council supports the application. Carried.
10f. PA19/04138 : Listed building consent to paint the outside walls of the house with Sandtex Ivory Stone paint. 38 Cliff Street Mevagissey St Austell Cornwall PL26 6QJ
Proposed by Cllr. Shephard, Seconded by Cllr. Daniel that the Council supports the application. Carried.
10g. The following planning applications have been APPROVED (included for information only):
PA19/01989 : Proposed Garden Studio, Conservatory and Raised Decking and ancillary works. Trevanna, Trevarth.
PA19/02994 : Proposed demolition of existing garage to allow remodelling and extensions. 18 Lower Well Park.
PA19/03289 : Demolish steps leading to old garden and construct decking at first floor level with a door from the landing and steps from the yard. 51 Polkirt Hill.
PA19/03277 : Certificate of Lawful Use for the use of the building as a dwelling. The Old Net Loft, West Wharf.
10h. An Appeal against Refusal has been made for the following: PA18/11012 : Removal of condition 5 (principle home occupancy restriction) of decision PA18/04406 dated 04.10.2018. Trevalsa Court Hotel (for information only).
10i. To review recent planning enforcement decisions. EN19/00832 : Alleged works not being carried out in accordance with approved plans PA18/02818. Steep House, Portmellon. It was agreed that, given the number of enforcement cases on this application, no further attempts should be made to invite the applicant to explain her plans.
- To approve the monthly finances.
|Bills to Pay||Salaries||£||666.53|
|HMRC (PAYE & NIC)||£||182.58|
|Operate Valley Road PC June 2019||£||978.54|
|Operate West Wharf PC June 2019||£||1,039.58|
|Office costs (printer cartridges)||£||31.47|
|Mevagissey Feast Week Committee (grant)||£||500.00||(paid)|
|Repainting of Valley Road PC||£||653.00||(paid)|
|Promotional video for surgery||£||480.00||(paid)|
|West Wharf PC electricity 02/03/19 – 03/06/19||£||57.71||(paid)|
|Data Protection Fee (2019)||£||40.00|
|May waste collections from West Wharf PC||£||93.66|
|Valley Rd PC water costs 03/05/19 – 03/06/19||£||222.31|
|Valley Rd PC electricity 01/04/19 – 03/06/19||£||39.10|
|Accounts||Amount available to spend as of last meeting||£||87,074.23|
|Expenditure last month||£||5,315.06|
|plus Valley Road PC water costs 06/03/19 – 02/05/19||£||263.35|
|Mevagissey Harbour Board Trust (towards defibrillator)||£||1,250.00|
|Balance (money in bank)||£||80,245.82|
|Available to spend||£||80,245.82|
|Bank Statements (01/06/2019)|
Proposed by Cllr. Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Morgan that the accounts be accepted and the bills paid. Carried.
- Cllr. Gann had sent the following update on the proposed Community Land Trust:
- We are trying to match up dates for a meeting with Noreen Jefferies – Rural Housing Enabler – hopefully early July.
- An approach has been made to discuss a possible development within Mevagissey – no details at this time.
- A request for a meeting with the owner of the Spa Hotel has been sent, but no response as yet.
- Cllr Facey had sent a report that all the Wallgate units in the Valley Road PC had now been replaced with handbasins, soap dispensers and hand driers.
- Cllr. Morgan reported that she had spoken to school governors about the possibility of locating a defibrillator on the premises. The British Heart Foundation would provide funds to cover any costs above £600. She will also be investigating possible sites at Portmellon Cove.
- Proposed by Cllr. Barron, Seconded by Cllr. Shephard that the Council ratifies the agreement to pay £480 for a promotional video aimed at General Practitioners. Carried.
- The meeting ended at 8.20pm. Date of next meeting: 18 July 2019.
Note: The next meeting will be preceded, at 6pm, by a closed meeting with Inspector Ian Drummond-Smith.
Signed …………………………………………………………………………….. Dated ………………………………