Parish Council News St Just St Just in Roseland Parish Council St Mawes

St Just in Roseland Parish Council – 7 December 2020: Minutes

Minutes of the Meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council held on Monday 7th December 2020. The virtual meeting commenced at 7.00pm.

Councillors Present: R Giles (Chairman), H. Aston, A. Chantrill, P Farmiloe, S Goldsmith, R. Hall, P. Salter, P Teague, K Warren and C Williams.

Also present: H. Couch (Clerk), Jamie Masters (Assistant Clerk), Julian German CC and 1 member of the public.

Cllr Giles welcomed everyone to the virtual meeting of St Just in Roseland Parish Council.

 To accept apologies for absence

  1. Declaration of Interest:
  2. a) Disclosable Pecuniary Interest – None declared
  3. b) Non-Registerable Interest – None declared
  4. c) Of gifts to the value of more than £25 – None declared
  5. d) To consider requests for dispensation on items on the agenda – None declared
  1. Public Participation

None.

  1. Confirmation of the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 2nd November 2020.

The Council RESOLVED, by a show of hands by those who had attended the said meeting be approved. All in favour and they were duly signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising

  • SWW hedge encroachment on Upper Castle Road

Cllr German gave an update, including the history since it was reported in 2019. The road is on the provisional 2021/22 surface treatment programme for patching and surface dressing. It is subject to a driven safety inspection on a monthly basis as well as walked on a 3 monthly basis by the highway safety inspector, so any safety related issues will be identified and repaired accordingly.

  • Hedge by red path at Larkfield Rise

Cllr German informed us that the encroachment was being done this week

  • Road Sweeping in the Parish

Clerk updated that the Cormac Road Sweeper has visited St Just in Roseland as requested. It was agreed for the Clerk to organise for a sweeper to do the parish in the new year.

  1. Cornwall Councillor Report

Cllr German gave a quick update on the housing allocation and this would be discussed more later in the agenda.

Cllr German updated about the work being completed with the current Covid-19 pandemic and reminding everyone to continue to be cautious and to be aware of the effect this is having on our local businesses and overall economy. An update was given about the vaccine and the way that it will be rolled out.

  1. Clerks Report

The report was read out and will be sent out with the notes.

  1. Reports from Councillors as representatives on other committees

Cllr Williams – St Mawes and St Just Heritage Group – a company has been set up called Pomerys limited that consists of 5 people, 2 from the Gig Club, 2 from the Heritage Group and an independent Chairman. They will work on the redevelopment of the garage and moving forward. Planning advice has been taken and hopefully plans should be submitted in due course.

Cllr Teague & Cllr Warren – St Just in Roseland Institute – reported that the Christmas Tree has been put up and thanks was given to the people that made it possible. The institute has been re-opened and the regular exercise classes have started again.

Cllr Goldsmith – Roseland Activity Centre – Currently looking for a new project manager and fund raiser,

 

  1. Ratification of decisions – None
  1. Correspondence – Noted
  1. Planning

 

The decisions of Planning sub-committee for applications and decisions of Cornwall Council were noted.

The next Planning virtual sub-committee will be on Monday 14th December at 6.00pm.

A general discussion took place regarding Community Infrastructure Levy and the frustrations behind not receiving any income from this. It was agreed that an update would be sent out with the notes of the financial position for our Council. The spreadsheet that we currently keep will be updated to include more information and to do necessary periodic checks on the properties.

  1. Accounts and Finance

The Income and Expenditure for November was agreed. Proposed by Cllr Salter, seconded by Cllr Chantrill. All in favour, by a show of hands. The car park monthly income for November was noted.

It was agreed to accept the Cornwall Council Agency Agreement for 2021/2022 for Cleansing at the value of £11,718.22.

It was agreed to accept the Cornwall Council Agency Agreement for 2021/2022 for the Local Maintenance Partnership/South West Coast Path Footpaths for £1037.65 which is a 2% increase.

The Finance Sub Committee met on the 11th November and made several recommendations.

The draft budget for 2021/2022 has been prepared and discussed. It was proposed by Cllr Hall and seconded by Cllr Salter to formally approve the budget. All in favour, by a show of hands.

Cllr Hall proposed to request the precept of £27,330 which is an increase of 2% on last year. Cllr Salter seconded. For 8, Against 1.

A discussion took place regarding the purchase of a contactless door release system for the St Mawes Toilet, this will include a back office which will give flexibility and more statistics for us. A radar key for the disabled was also discussed but it was decided to not install this at present. There will be a cost for the bank transactions; but it was agreed that this will be beneficial.  Cllr Williams proposed to accept the quote from Healthmatic for £3,830.00. Seconded Cllr Aston. For 8, Against 1 by a show of hands.

The Clerk updated that a further grant form has been sent into the Reopening High Streets Safety Fund (RJSSF) for extra sanitising units. This will enable the parish to have more units and sanisitising liquid.

Following a long, detailed discussion; it was agreed that the financial support claim for £18,755 requested from Cornwall Council should be withdrawn. Proposed Cllr Salter seconded Cllr Warren Voting – For 7, Against 2.

The Clerk updated that all Contracts are due to finish at the end of March 2021. Work has started on this and it was agreed that the Finance Sub Committee were given the authority to agree the tender wording, so that they could all be sent out in January. After the deadline, recommendations will be brought back to Full Parish Council before any contract be awarded.

Cllr Farmiloe requested to record that she felt that the Grass Cutting contract should be given to a different contractor.

 

  1. Highways

The Clerk updated that she had received a request for our preferred locations for the camera deployment of the Mobile VAS which is being funded through the Truro and Roseland Community Network. It was agreed that a sub committee of 4 Councillors covering both parishes should meet and work with Cormac to discuss requirements. The agreed Councillors are Cllrs Giles, Salter, Teague and Warren.

There is a broken bench opposite the Water Tower in St Mawes. Due to the damage, it cannot be repaired. Following a discussion, it was agreed that the Clerk should contact the landowner, sending a photograph and request a donation.

Cllr Teague updated that the fence at Jasmine Cottage is being made safe by Cornwall Council.

  1. Housing

Cllr Giles re-iterated that the Parish Council do not have any say on the Housing allocations at Spinnakers Drive. The Clerk updated that in the new year, work will be done with Cllr Aston to try and improve the communication with all the organisations that provide housing. There is a need to have the knowledge to assist our parishioners, so that we can correctly monitor the actual housing need.

A general discussion took place regarding housing in the parish and concern was raised that we still need more accommodation in the parish. Concern was raised over Planning Application PA20/03119 regarding the viability assessment.  The Clerk was requested to check the original Planning Application to understand the Section 106 connected and the benefits for the Parish Council.

Cllr German explained about the criteria used for the local connection with these applications and that Homechoice accepts all bids, but only bids that have the connection will proceed onto the final list. An explanation was given about the difference between social housing and affordable housing.

  1. Tree Planting

 

It was agreed to defer this agenda item for next month, but to put it higher in the agenda.

  1. Any other business that the Chairman considers to be of urgency

It was proposed by Cllr Giles and seconded by Cllr Salter that Cllr Aston should be elected onto the Planning Sub Committee. All agreed, by a show of hands.

 

There being no further business, Cllr Giles wished everyone a Happy Christmas and the meeting closed at 9.10pm

  

Signed as a true record……………………………………..Chairman Cllr. R Giles

Dated ……………………….

Leave a Comment